48 hours into no refined sugar products

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
48 hours ago I started a non refined sugar "fast" after seeing a video on youtube that suggested refined sugar triggers the brain in like ways as cocaine and heroin.

I love refined sugar. Loved candy since I was very little. I could and have ate candy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I have found myself lately eating candy instead of breakfast. At Halloween, right across from my workplace someone put out a HUGE bowl of candy. The bowl had all my favorite candies. When at the office, I found myself going to that candy bowl more than a few times per hour. I also have been struggling with fatigue.

Last Thursday night was the last time I ate refined sugar products. The same night I watched the video. The person in the video said it can easily be a three day withdrawal. The person further stated refined sugar messes with ones brain. On Friday, I had a major headache. Felt better yesterday.

How crazy is that- refined sugar reportedly screws with the brain in similar ways heroin and cocaine does.

I am a firm believer get off all that sugar its just a crisis in this country I’m not saying you can’t enjoy yourself now and than but the non stop eating and adding it to daily diet is killing this country.
I think it's a major problem as well. I've always had a major sweet tooth. I love candy and desserts. In fact last night I had fantastic tiramisu. We're trying to cut down sugar in the house. It's very very challenging.

I want too. I have cut back on sodas I was drinking 3-4 32 ounce sodas a day but something in my mind told me to stop so now I’ve pretty much cut back to one on work days and 2 on regular days. I know still not completely gone but better. As long as I can have sugar in my coffee I’ll be ok because it’s no good without sugar lol. Now I gotta stop buying Butterfinger and PayDay bars. And I’m young I don’t want to destroy myself now.

I want too. I have cut back on sodas I was drinking 3-4 32 ounce sodas a day but something in my mind told me to stop so now I’ve pretty much cut back to one on work days and 2 on regular days. I know still not completely gone but better. As long as I can have sugar in my coffee I’ll be ok because it’s no good without sugar lol. Now I gotta stop buying Butterfinger and PayDay bars. And I’m young I don’t want to destroy myself now.
Guys your age all do that.
But after a few decades it will get you. Use in moderation...and you should be fine. If you drink soda at home use a ton of ice..
Watch fruit juices and milk as well.
You are lucky right now being 19..

Good coffee is better without sugar, so is brewed ice tea. You taste is clouded with the sugar addiction. Once you get off it, you realize how much better some things taste.

Eric Clapton was on 60 Minutes and said his drug addiction started with sugar when he was 5 or 6.

Go to 3:13 and hear it from him yourself.

• Wow
Reactions: GON
A year off sugar this month. Restricted carbos last Feb. I haven't felt this good in several years, down 25 pounds.

Objective to get off all pharmaceuticals eventually. Just that first step of cutting out sugar sent me on a quest.

No booze, fast food, cigarettes, pot. I told my Dr I am now my own experiment.

Now reading labels to find out all the added sugar in prepared products like steak sauce, salad dressings, etc. and how I can eliminate or replace it with something else.

I think the next year will include exploring herbal remedies and further supplements to fight inflammation which causes disease. Yeah.... going down the rabbit hole now and enthusiastic about it. Just the first step took me there....

It's been an eye opening year, actually.

Keep at it GON.

Good for you! Can you share the link?

I definitely have a sweet tooth. I can’t say I eat candy for breakfast, and I don’t drink more than a few sodas per year, but I like sweets. Addiction is a strong word, but certainly it causes a very strong appetite for me when I am in the mood (not always and not necessarily too much). Regardless I recognize the effect sugar has, and I know it’s not good… I’d be interested to try a fast on sugars at some point…

Just need to be sure that saying no on one thing doesn’t result in getting “comfort” from some other foods that are also not great…

I have been reducing the amount of sugar in my diet. I still use it but not as much. Used to drink a 12 oz can of coke. Now buying mini cans of 7 ounces. Have gotten to the point that I can't drink but about 4-5 ounces. It seems sickenly sweet. Now if I can just deal with chocolate.

Gon congrats on starting the new journey. I doubt you will miss any of the sugar after a few weeks. I haven't had a soda / pop in 10 years. My go to drink is unsweetened ice tea, club soda, or water. Your start is timely as this headline popped into my mailbox today.

JG is from my home town, and the key to his weight loss success was cutting out the alcohol, which can have a lot of sugar in it in many forms.

If you drink a gallon of Mountain Dew in a day, that is over 1 POUND of sugar! Each day! Just to give it some perspective and that’s assuming no ice in a 32 oz cup, but look at a bag containing one pound of sugar and imagine trying to eat that.

Sugar is quite the killer. Even the High carbs the government food triangle recommends is very unhealthy. That being said I would prefer all to eat lots of Sugar and carbs because I have stocks in pharmaceutical producers and well, insulin and chemo drugs are high profit. The Government food triangle is making me $$$

Last edited:
If you drink a gallon of Mountain Dew in a day, that is over 1 POUND of sugar! Each day! Just to give it some perspective and that’s assuming no ice in a 32 oz cup, but look at a bag containing one pound of sugar and imagine trying to eat that.

For added perspective, for weight loss, put the amount of butter in your shopping cart. Butter and body fat have a similar density. So if you lose 25# go to the market and put 25# in your shopping cart. It's mind boggling.

Now not all weight loss is fat, people do lose water weight.

I suppose another analog is put 10# of lean meat in the cart next to 10# of butter and see which take up more space.

48 hours ago I started a non refined sugar "fast" after seeing a video on youtube that suggested refined sugar triggers the brain in like ways as cocaine and heroin.

I love refined sugar. Loved candy since I was very little. I could and have ate candy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I have found myself lately eating candy instead of breakfast. At Halloween, right across from my workplace someone put out a HUGE bowl of candy. The bowl had all my favorite candies. When at the office, I found myself going to that candy bowl more than a few times per hour. I also have been struggling with fatigue.

Last Thursday night was the last time I ate refined sugar products. The same night I watched the video. The person in the video said it can easily be a three day withdrawal. The person further stated refined sugar messes with ones brain. On Friday, I had a major headache. Felt better yesterday.

How crazy is that- refined sugar reportedly screws with the brain in similar ways heroin and cocaine does
I found out after going no sugar and low as possible carb diet is that I do not get What I call carb withdrawals when hungry. I also realized I am hungry but that does not mean I will die if I don't eat.

Once in awhile I will accidentally get a sweet tea when I order unsweet.
Once off sugar you will not believe how sweet it is and it will make you cringe. That bad.
Absolutely!!! I'm a black no sugar coffeholic. And I drink a lot of unsweetened loose oolong,, white,, green teas Hot and cold). If the cafe messes up other my its startling on that first sip.

Back