460 Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas I am new here, I have recently , more or less restored a very nice 1992 ford f350 4x4 pickup it has a 460 with approx 109,000..I was wondering I am about ready to change the oil and was wondering if it would be OK to use Delo 5/40 or Shell Rotella T 5/40
I do some camper hauling, and some elk hunting in cold country, but I have head second hand that some of these so called DIESEL,oils can do harm to a gas engine. But on the other hand I have herd the opposite. so fill me in here experts.
I can pick any of this stuff up at Bi-Mart.

Most oils intended for heavy duty engines are actually "fleet" oils rather than diesel engine only.

Diesel engine only oils are often meant to deal with low quality, high sulfur fuel, and those (with TBN, the acid neutralizing capability of the oil, numbers approaching 70 in some cases versus 15 at the high end for typical HDEO) may damage engines not intended for use with them.

The diesel rating of those oils is CJ-4, and they also carry a S rating for spark ignition gas engines of SM. They are compaarable in many ways to your off the shelf 5W-30 Valvoline or Pennzoil except they have more detergent, are thicker to deal with heavy bearing loading, and have higher levels of anti-wear additives.

They should work fine to very in that engine and with that use.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

That old 460 will never know the difference.....

Some people think the catalytic converters can be overloaded with some of the additives that the HDEO type oils have. Nothing in the engine will be harmed and I would be shocked if you ever had a converter go bad from the diesel fleet HDEOs.

HEDO = heavy duty diesel engine oil, or truck oils.

I think that oil would be great. I've driven a few work trucks with the 460 and Ford's shifting strategy seems to be to lock the convertor at relatively low rpms even with fairly heavy throttle, I would assume to take advantage of the torque of that engine. It would make sense that a high quality thicker diesel oil would protect very well in the nearly diesel like rpm range of that engine.

Edit: I like the signature OP!

Last edited:
In my experience those old 460's can really heat up the oil during heavy towing, I think you've made a good choice with the 5w40. You could also use 15w40 during the warmer months if you wanted.

Been running RTS 5W-40 in my gas powered 86 Ford truck. Great start ups and it just seems to like it. It revs easier than with 10W-40 Castrol GTX. And I know I'm getting better protection, plus more peace of mind considering I have a flat tappet cam.

Thanks for all the great infro fellas....I am filling the oil with Rotella T 5/40....again much thanks....I feel like a "idiot on a island surrounded by a sea of brilliance".

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
HEDO = heavy duty diesel engine oil, or truck oils.

Technically, HDEO = Heavy Duty Engine Oil. But yeah, it's 'made' for diesels but great for gasoline engines, too, as they all even advertise on their jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back