40 year old paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until recently I had a '65 Fleetwood with original paint. I used a number of products without harm. I was happiest with Liquid Glass but they all worked fine.

Old paint jobs (aka non-clearcoat) seem to respond well to old skool-style glazes and waxes. Eventhough its been cared for, there is prolly a good bit of dirt and grime in the paint that should be removed before waxing.

Something like the 3-step processes from Meguiars or Mothers would prolly work real well. Step 1 is a light cleaner/polish, Step 2 is a glaze and Step 3 is the wax. These 3-pack kits are available at most auto parts stores like Pep Boys and cost $15-20.

Calling all experts: 1965 Volvo 122s with original paint. Has been garaged most of the time, so it is in good shape. I would like to polish and put a protective wax on the car, but not sure what to use or in what sequence. Should I trust a detail shop or do it myself? Should I trust myself??

The paint has good depth and a nice patina, but no obvious oxidation. Guess the thing that concerns me is that it has a texture sort of like an old oil painting. Anyway, what do you think? Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back