.40 or .45?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer 45's, simply for the fact that I love 1911's, and that I can't tell the difference in recoil between a 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp in a full size gun. There is nothing wrong with a 9mm or 40.....I just prefer a 45. I am also a revolver fan. I have a S&W 686 plus with a 4 inch barrel that I love. I also have a DAO ruger sp101 with a 2 1/4 inch barrel in 357mag. The ruger is surprisingly easy to shoot with full power 357's due to it being rather large and heavy for a snubbie. I recently shot one of the scandium/titanium S&W snubbies in 357 and with full power loads, that thing is FIESTY!........11.5 ozs isn't much weight to help tame recoil. I recently shot a taurus 24/7 in 45acp that I was quite impressed with.

My best advice is to shoot alot of different guns and calibers before you make your choice. Don't let a "macho man" attitude sway you one way on the other...................it is better to be shot in the arm with a 44mag than to be shot between the eyes with a 22.

go with the H&K .45 GOV ISSUE. I remember the SEALS was looking for another handgun as they said the 9mm had the stopping ower of a .22. H&K gave them their .45 and said do what you want with it. they drug it through the mud,water,sand, anything they could think of they would encounter in the field. they then just knocked out the stuff in the gun. fired over 2,000 rounds straight through it. never had a malfunction with it. needless to say its the sidearm the seals use to this day. so if its good enough for the SEALS. should be more than good for me. we know how SEAL standards are. nothing but perfection.

GLOCKS are good too. my cousin a cop has a .40 and loves it. he told me about SIGS this other dept had and at the firing range they was Jamming and stuff. dont know if that was due to poor upkeep or what but my cousin will never buy a SIG.

H&K may cost more but a very well built sidearm.in the end it comes down to will the sidearm function right when the time arises.

always though tthe .22 was a .223 not .224? I remember in the air force we used special bolts and clips for our M-16 to shoot .22 long shells in it. after that I called them high powered 22's =-)

My Taurus Tracker .357 7-shot is beautifully finished, smooth, and very, very accurate. It even comes ported from the factory. Taurus revolvers are top-notch firearms now. They ain’t what they used to be…

Glock 45

I have had to shoot people to save life, and that is my choice and I'm sticking with it.

And yes, I have also used the others mentioned in this topic.

To add a little to the caliber discussion: The 45 Colt, 454 Casull Magnum, and Ruger 460 Magnum can all be fired in the same Ruger pistol. On the availability issue, I ordered a 9mm bbl for my GLock 23 40S&W. It works fine and even feeds from the 40 mags. I think I got it from Storm Lake for about $100. I did get some 9mm mags to make sure it would feed well in case of emergency.

I have an assortment of Glocks, Beretta, Ruger and Smith. For .45's they Glock 30 makes a nice piece and even the Ruger P97 is a great gun for the $$

However my favorite gun now is my S&W 686 6" ported. Nice mooth action and a great plate gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back