40,000Km update - 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Thank you for the very detailed report, OVERKILL.
They should hire you at a motoring magazine.
So descriptive.
LOL.
Once again, real nice sled.
Do you have any further comments on MDS ?
Do you still like FCA's approach ?
Also, I am surprised about the brake dust issue, aesthetically speaking,
given the color of your rims.
TY.

I believe the noticeability of the MDS is directly tied to how the engine is mounted in this chassis, dampened, and the RPM point at where it is allowed to engage. While you can't feel it in the truck, you are significantly further away from the engine, and I question as to whether that aspect was properly accounted for either in the design, or programming. I'd also assume, though I could certainly be wrong, that the 6.4L in the SRT is more firmly mounted, which results in the vibration being more readily transmitting into the cabin. This could be easily mitigated by increasing the RPM floor necessary for the MDS to engage, as you only feel it "rumble" at very low RPM. But perhaps they were more concerned about a potential impact on fuel economy rather than the less-than-subtle feel of the system operating
21.gif
I drove a Durango with the 5.7L and the MDS was almost like it is in the truck, which is why I think mounting may be a significant factor.

Do I still like the approach? Yes. I have no complaints about the system itself. I feel the "issue" I'm experiencing is due solely to configuration, not any sort of deficiency.

On the brake dust issue: My M5 dusted pretty heavily too, and so did my Charger. The Jeep is heavier, the brakes thus have a shorter lifespan, and it of course then dusts even more. The massive amount of dust is, despite being annoying, a small price to pay for the braking performance it affords. The braking is utterly incredible and so while I complain, I'll gladly continue to have filthy wheels so it can stop like it does.

That help?

Its about pad material. Replace with ceramic pads and say goodbye to dusting. That said, initial "bite" will be lesser.

Originally Posted by Ws6
So descriptive.
LOL.
TY.

I believe the noticeability of the MDS is directly tied to how the engine is mounted in this chassis, dampened, and the RPM point at where it is allowed to engage. While you can't feel it in the truck, you are significantly further away from the engine, and I question as to whether that aspect was properly accounted for either in the design, or programming. I'd also assume, though I could certainly be wrong, that the 6.4L in the SRT is more firmly mounted, which results in the vibration being more readily transmitting into the cabin. This could be easily mitigated by increasing the RPM floor necessary for the MDS to engage, as you only feel it "rumble" at very low RPM. But perhaps they were more concerned about a potential impact on fuel economy rather than the less-than-subtle feel of the system operating
21.gif
I drove a Durango with the 5.7L and the MDS was almost like it is in the truck, which is why I think mounting may be a significant factor.

Do I still like the approach? Yes. I have no complaints about the system itself. I feel the "issue" I'm experiencing is due solely to configuration, not any sort of deficiency.

On the brake dust issue: My M5 dusted pretty heavily too, and so did my Charger. The Jeep is heavier, the brakes thus have a shorter lifespan, and it of course then dusts even more. The massive amount of dust is, despite being annoying, a small price to pay for the braking performance it affords. The braking is utterly incredible and so while I complain, I'll gladly continue to have filthy wheels so it can stop like it does.

That help?

Its about pad material. Replace with ceramic pads and say goodbye to dusting. That said, initial "bite" will be lesser.

Oh, I know what causes it. I went that route with my M5, went from the great biting BMW pads to the less dusting ceramic ones and never again. I like the brake feel the way it is, so it'll get OEM pads again.

Originally Posted by Ws6
So descriptive.
LOL.
TY.

21.gif

That help?

If one goes with ceramic pads that are readily available, it is not initial bite only, it is generally performance.
Unless one is ready to shell out serious money for ceramic pads and rotors, it is just gimmick.
Dust=performance when it comes to regular brakes. Considering this is SRT, I am not sure why would someone go for POS ceramic like Akebono.

Originally Posted by Ws6
So descriptive.
LOL.
TY.

21.gif

That help?

Oh, I know what causes it. I went that route with my M5, went from the great biting BMW pads to the less dusting ceramic ones and never again. I like the brake feel the way it is, so it'll get OEM pads again.

Did that once and said that no car with ceramic brakes will ever park in my driveway, let alone put on my car!

Honestly, I doubt this SRT gets tracked. Could be wrong, though. I had ceramic on my 370Z, and metallic or whatever on my C6 Z06. They both did fine for daily use.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Honestly, I doubt this SRT gets tracked. Could be wrong, though. I had ceramic on my 370Z, and metallic or whatever on my C6 Z06. They both did fine for daily use.

I think the OE pads are an organic/metallic blend of some sort
21.gif
I could be wrong. They appear similar to what was OE on the bimmer and initial bite is excellent. And no, it has not had a chance to go to the track as of yet. I was hoping to make it out last summer to Mosport but ended up working away from home for quite a stint.

Originally Posted by Ws6

21.gif
I could be wrong. They appear similar to what was OE on the bimmer and initial bite is excellent. And no, it has not had a chance to go to the track as of yet. I was hoping to make it out last summer to Mosport but ended up working away from home for quite a stint.

Probably, not sure are pads Brembo too, but that bite also comes from those calipers too (SRT's are three pistons, right?). If dust is excessive it could be very similar compound to BMW M models or older BMW's E series. These new BMW's F and G come with ceramic pads from Textar and they are not as good as previous organic/metallic compound. Though, old pads can be fitted on new models. BMW went to please those who care more about looks of wheels, not actual performance.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Probably, not sure are pads Brembo too, but that bite also comes from those calipers too (SRT's are three pistons, right?). If dust is excessive it could be very similar compound to BMW M models or older BMW's E series. These new BMW's F and G come with ceramic pads from Textar and they are not as good as previous organic/metallic compound. Though, old pads can be fitted on new models. BMW went to please those who care more about looks of wheels, not actual performance.

Yes, the pads are I believe Brembo as well. They are 6-piston units up front.

Yes, the pads are I believe Brembo as well. They are 6-piston units up front.

Oh yeah, sorry 6 piston.

Originally Posted by Ws6

21.gif

My Z06 would literally paint the lower 1/3 sides with dust after 1-200 miles. Really, since I didn't track it, it was more pain than it was worth and I traded it for a 370Z, which, ironically, got more compliments. I didn't buy either for others, but it was still pretty odd/wild.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

21.gif

My Z06 would literally paint the lower 1/3 sides with dust after 1-200 miles. Really, since I didn't track it, it was more pain than it was worth and I traded it for a 370Z, which, ironically, got more compliments. I didn't buy either for others, but it was still pretty odd/wild.

Sounds like your 'vette dusted similarly to this thing then
lol.gif

Glad you're still enjoying that thing Overkill; my sis in law has the identical one, and loves it.

Wear the brake dusted front wheels like I wear light soot stains on the right rear bumper edge - proudly.

They're badges of honor, my friend.

Originally Posted by ofelas
Glad you're still enjoying that thing Overkill; my sis in law has the identical one, and loves it.

Wear the brake dusted front wheels like I wear light soot stains on the right rear bumper edge - proudly.

Brake dust is highly corrosive.

May as well do a brake pad/brake fluid delete.

Or, one could wash & wax the wheels once in a while.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Originally Posted by Ws6

Say what you want, I don't make money from racing and never did. Ceramic went on my vehicles and it did just fine. I'm not super snobby about brake feel as long as the stop does the happen. I'm much snottier about suspensions than anything else, really.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Originally Posted by Ws6

Say what you want, I don't make money from racing and never did. Ceramic went on my vehicles and it did just fine. I'm not super snobby about brake feel as long as the stop does the happen. I'm much snottier about suspensions than anything else, really.

That happens, eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back