4 Teslas at a stop light...

Wifey and I were out a little earlier; there were 4 Teslas and 1 other car at a stop light.
Sue said, "Look at all those poor people, they can't afford gas..."
If you were any funnier, I'd laugh ... cute, actually.

Paraphrases something said about some friends who have a Tesla, solar panels, and a Powerwall: Poor people can't even afford electricity ...

You can't just spontaneously go out of town in those things. You have to search google maps to see where all the charging stations are at and use some mathematics to determine where and when to stop. What a pita.

You can't just spontaneously go out of town in those things. You have to search google maps to see where all the charging stations are at and use some mathematics to determine where and when to stop. What a pita.
You're talking thru your hat. I don't have the time nor the temperament now to explain how the Tesla charging system works other than to say it's all figured out for you by the computers of the system. I'm so tired of people making pronouncements based on misinformation. Maybe the info below will help you.

Tesla’s in-car navigation is a reliable trip planner that’s simple and easy to use. You enter your destination on the touchscreen, and Navigation will identify the route, the most convenient locations to charge as well as the estimated charging times.

Last edited:
Actually, he was talking about seeing them in town, and you can do just that. So, I don’t know why you’re bringing up a different use than the one he was describing.

Bopping around town is perfect for a Tesla. Well within range.

I would gladly have a Tesla, as a couple of my neighbors do, for that driving profile. Keep a gasoline car* for the road trip.

Win-win.

*I am unlikely to ever sell the S600. It’s just such an incredible car. Smooth, fast, comfortable - it exceeds anything I’ve ever driven. So, there’s the road trip machine. We’ve talked about an electric for my wife, but she would rather save $$ and keep driving her nearly 300,000 mile Volvo.

but she would rather save $$ and keep driving her nearly 300,000 mile Volvo.
A smart woman.
Aren't Teslas now the No. 1 Boomer car? I'm not sure I understand your point.
"Boomer" means 'baby boomer'. Baby boomer means a person born in the US between the end WW2 and sometime in the mid-sixties.
The term implies the incapability to understand anything technological.
It's something someone with tattoos and hardware in their face says. It's often used as an insult.
michaell could've employed the term jokingly or pejoratively.
Since the OP and the OP's wife likely know the economics of owning a Tesla, I assumed she was being funny with current affairs, not being a technically disinclined caveman (cave person) from the '50's.

A WORD on BOOMER, GENERATION X, Gen. Y, and Gen. Z.:
If clever people would focus a tad more on describing and solving issues and problems with poor meat-puppets' endeavoring to use the technologies of this ever changing world than concocting catchy labels for people, we might just get more for our money....over the long haul, of course.

We're forced to play stupid games (be the beta testers for products) and we don't even win prizes!

"Boomer" means 'baby boomer'. Baby boomer means a person born in the US between the end WW2 and sometime in the mid-sixties.
The term implies the incapability to understand anything technological.
It's something someone with tattoos and hardware in their face says. It's often used as an insult.
michaell could've employed the term jokingly or pejoratively.
Yeah, I know what the term means. I suppose what we don't know is if michaell is poking fun at the OP, or at the woman.....

My thread was simply poking a little fun; it really happened. You understand our CA gas prices are through the roof; Costco premium is $4.76; everywhere else it is over $5. Ouch!
I hope you got a chuckle. By the way, my wife is very technical. She was head of WW computer operations at a leading $10B Silicon Valley high tech company; she has now been tasked with an Industry 4.0 iniative.

We're forced to play stupid games (be the beta testers for products) and we don't even win prizes!
Not necessarily.
The prizes we win are valuable lessons in life.
Like patience, how not to judge things by how they are presented (not how they actually work, or don't work) etc.

My thread was simply poking a little fun; it really happened. You understand our CA gas prices are through the roof; Costco premium is $4.76; everywhere else it is over $5. Ouch!
I hope you got a chuckle. By the way, my wife is very technical. She was head of WW computer operations at a leading $10B Silicon Valley high tech company; she has now been tasked with an Industry 4.0 iniative.
I saw her humor. Not everyone else did, though. 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps you didn't get the joke; it was about gas prices, not Teslas. All good.
FYI, Teslas, and perhaps all or most EVs, have charging location planning. I don't know much about other makes, but Tesla will route you based on destination, remaining charge, charger location (and how many are open, currently in use, or down). It even takes into consideration road and weather conditions! You can also enter "way points", or places off the direct path you might want to stop at. While nothing is perfect, it is pretty good.

Of course some areas offer many charging options (CA is great) while other areas may not. Depending on your use case, and EV may not be a good choice.

Hate that Boomer appellation. Makes me want to pass gas to demonstrate.

The Later generation is mad at me - raking in big SS cash - money they will likely never see :)

We are so lost now without our parents to keep us ALL in line - The Greatest Generation.

Here it was $4.40 until a week or so.
I mean yeah, some pay $9, it is all relative.
I told one guy from Germany that gas is staying high, and he started to laugh, sarcastically saying: "I hope everyone will live another day."

Hate that Boomer appellation. Makes me want to pass gas to demonstrate.
It sounds even more stupid to someone like myself who could be from one generation OR the other depending on which commonly-accepted endpoints you choose to believe. My birthday falls right on the border..... I don't know if I'm supposed to loathe myself - or not!

Teslas are easy to road trip. Your parents can figure it out. The car plans it out for you and it's dead easy.

Everything else requires homework, a variety of subscriptions, and preplanning.

Back