4.7 Dodge v-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my heart set on a buying a Dodge quad cab tomorrow
with the 4.7 V-8 but I read the engine is a sludge maker.
Should I dump the break-in oil at 500 miles and start running
PP or RP at 500 miles or wait till 3k or so and then change it.
What is the best oil for this engine??
Help!!!Its the last new car I will ever buy so it has to last

get a hemi 5.7L if u are very concerned about the 4.8L.

it should be a free upgrade with offers. don't worry about sludge if the motor is new. u could run conventional oil and never have sludge if OCI is kept up.

Last edited:
I guess everybody wants the Hemi and he giving me 3k off to get the 4.7....has lots of 4.7 setting around the lot
Is the hemi that much better engine?

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
I have my heart set on a buying a Dodge quad cab tomorrow
with the 4.7 V-8 but I read the engine is a sludge maker.
Should I dump the break-in oil at 500 miles and start running
PP or RP at 500 miles or wait till 3k or so and then change it.
What is the best oil for this engine??
Help!!!Its the last new car I will ever buy so it has to last

The 4.7L is NOT a sludger. Dump the FF at about 2,000 miles, and I would recommend running Valvoline Synpower or PP with warranty OCI. :) Congrats, I love the new RAMs, wish I could afford one.

both are good, if u r not doing any major towing/hauling, get the 4.8L with a good deal. most people want the HEMI, so you should have room to 'deal'.

10 4 on new RAM's .. they ride like a luxury car. no leaf springs.. nice. truck.. big DODGE badge on tailgate.. fellow dodge owner, but old al bundy dodge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick_Escalante
both are good, if u r not doing any major towing/hauling, get the 4.8L with a good deal. most people want the HEMI, so you should have room to 'deal'.

Well, think about it this way. The 4.7L makes as much horsepower as the Ford F-150s current top tier 5.4L engine, so it will do just fine in pretty much all circumstances.

I had an 01 Dakota and an 02 Ram 1/2 ton with the 4.7.

Loved that motor. Plenty of power - it likes to rev. Towed a 26' camper with the Ram, and a popup with the Dak.

Don't think you'll have any oil-related troubles unless you neglect it.

I used Syntec back then, mainly because of the towing.

A good conventional should do what you need for standard usage. Or, you could do what I'm ding now in my T&C, and mix your own blend. I'm using 3 qts NAPA conventional to 2 qts NAPA synth.

I think the Hemi is no doubt alot better engine, the Hemi is bullet proof and makes power like it was nobodies bussiness. I have one, I tow 10,000 with it and dont even know its back there, the gas gauge does though. Mines a 3/4 ton and no MDS. Hemi's are super hard on fuel if they dont have the MDS. I would shop around and get a Hemi, they are that much better. The 4.8 or 4.7 or whatever have the waste gas spark plugs and all this emmission garbage, they are sludge monsters, dont have the MDS. You do the math, more power, better fuel milelage(with MDS) plus you will be much happier. I have not found anyone that is disgusted with thier Hemi. Spend the extra, everbody wants the Hemi for a reason, they are not all hype.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think the Hemi is no doubt alot better engine, the Hemi is bullet proof and makes power like it was nobodies bussiness. I have one, I tow 10,000 with it and dont even know its back there, the gas gauge does though. Mines a 3/4 ton and no MDS. Hemi's are super hard on fuel if they dont have the MDS. I would shop around and get a Hemi, they are that much better. The 4.8 or 4.7 or whatever have the waste gas spark plugs and all this emmission garbage, they are sludge monsters, dont have the MDS. You do the math, more power, better fuel milelage(with MDS) plus you will be much happier. I have not found anyone that is disgusted with thier Hemi. Spend the extra, everbody wants the Hemi for a reason, they are not all hype.

Panzerman I don't know where your getting your info, but the 4.7L DOES have MDS, and have exactly the same kind of emissions equipment the 5.7L gets, and is just as bulletproof. The only difference is that the 4.7L has a bit less power. And stop spreading falsehood, the 4.7L is not a sludge engine.

I like to change the FF at 1K, just to get rid of any residual garbage that may be left over from initial build and run.
After that, 5K or so should keep your engine very clean.
Run a syn if you like the feel-good factor.
I do, although many UOAs on here demonstrate that there is no measurable advantage to syn on conservative drain intervals.

The Hemi is bullet proof . Read up, I was very nervous about trading my trusty 5.9 in on a New truck, I researched the Hemi alot before I bought one, Dodge put that motor though some brutal testing. Even motor builders, such as HOT ROD tote the Hemi with being overbuilt, the block and cooling are all over kill. If you think the 4.7 is a better engine or even in the same class, you never drove them both. I didnt know the 4.7 had MDS. I can tell you to search for problems on the world wide web and see the headaches with the 4.7 and happiness with the 5.7, with the exception of a Hemi tick, some have, its a far better built, stronger and more durable engine, the performance is a added enhancement, I wont get into the re-sale value and owner satisfaction.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Panzerman I don't know where your getting your info, but the 4.7L DOES have MDS, and have exactly the same kind of emissions equipment the 5.7L gets, and is just as bulletproof. The only difference is that the 4.7L has a bit less power. And stop spreading falsehood, the 4.7L is not a sludge engine.

They are completely different engine designs. So the only difference is not the absence of power.

engine.jpg

The 4.7L is very similar to Ford's Modular family.

dodge-5-7l-hemi-engine-2009.jpg

The "HEMI" is a pushrod engine.

To the OP:
The 4.7 is a GREAT motor. It will do anything you ask of it. I regularly tow loads up to 7000 pounds with no problem. The 4.7 is not not NOT a sludge monster. Sure they have had a few sludge problems but any engine will sludge due to lack of maintenance. The new 4.7 has plenty of power and you should buy it with confidence. If you do congrats on the new Ram!! They are really great trucks.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: Nick_Escalante

Well, think about it this way. The 4.7L makes as much horsepower as the Ford F-150s current top tier 5.4L engine, so it will do just fine in pretty much all circumstances.

The 4.7L makes 302HP@5,650RPM, 329lb-ft@3,950RPM (310/330 on E85)
The 4.6L makes 292HP@5,700RPM, 320lb-ft@4,000RPM
The 5.4L makes 310HP@5,000RPM, 365lb-ft@3,500RPM (320/390 on E85)

The 5.4L's big advantage over the 4.7L and Ford's own 4.6L is torque.

And I agree, the 4.7L is very capable.

I've owned just about every motor you can own in a Dodge truck and I loved the 4.7. Mine was in a Dakota and it was great. The 4.7 is not a sludger at all. It like ANY ENGINE can sludge if you neglect it. Run a reasonable OCI with any quality synthetic or dino and you will be fine.

And I think the new Hemi's are at 380 Hp now. Also I would like to note that the Hemi made it to Wards top rated engines made 2003 through 2009, didnt see the 4.7 on there. I would hope you would research before spending that much money, I did, you will see that the Hemi is a far superior engine over the 4.7. or the 5.4.

Last edited:

A friend bought a used 2003 Durango with the 4.7. drove it easy and didn't skip on the service. Last spring he was going down the road at 65mph and the engine locked up solid. No warning at all. I helped him research the problem and found a number of people who had the same type of problem. His truck only had 47K miles on it when it failed.

Some early 4.7 v8's had the same sludge issues as the 2.7 v6's. The PVC system was marginal at best. From what I've read, the problem was fixed around the time his truck was built. New ones should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back