4.6, how long on GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question for the group.

For my 98 4.6 f150, I am nearing the end of my first change to GC.

Right now i'm at about 4100 miles with GC and a motorcraft filter.

Would it be safe to go to 5k on this combo then change the oil and filter?

Anything beyond 5k might be pushing it without lube control I imagine, also what are the limits of the motorcraft filter on mileage?

To tell the truth I just checked the oil today and it still looks very clean, it has only darkened a bit after 4100 miles and that really impressed me.

I think i can do 6 month oil changes with this combo and some lube control.

If you don't go well past 5000 miles with that combo, you're wasting your money. According to Bob, filters can go a really long time. If you are going to change every 5000 miles, just use Motorcraft 5w20 and save some money.

I'm running my 5.4 with 5W-30 for 5K miles and the TBN was 4.7, so I could have taken this out to around 7K. The problem with these motors is not the wear, almost non-existant, it's the oil. I'd at least, without a UOA, take it to 6K. Spend the 30 bucks and get a UOA with TBN at that point and you'll know and get a "feel" for this oil.

I agree with C4Dave,and when you do decide to dump it,please send in a UOA for the rest of us 4.6L owners to see
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BR549:
I agree with C4Dave,and when you do decide to dump it,please send in a UOA for the rest of us 4.6L owners to see
grin.gif

I'll third that!

By the way, I'll do the same in return. I'm currently running Royal Purple 10W-30 in my Ford 4.6 and I'll make sure to post UOAs as they arrive.

Unless that is a really demanding engine, you'd better look at the thread on the Bimmer that went 7566 on SLX....we should all do so well.

5k shouldn't be any problem for that combo.

If you get squemish, run it to 5k and take a UOA. I'll bet it could easily run 6-7k with no issues.

Heck, I run dino 5w20 oils to 6k right now in my '99 F150 without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back