3rd gear grinding in 02' Protege5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, ive got a 02' Mazda as listed above and my flywheel and clutch pack was replaced at 13K miles due the fact the flywheel was cracked and warped (clutch going too due to flywheel) and now its starting again.

its attributed to a poor heat tempering process and doesnt afflict all Protege's w/ the 2L motor-just enough to cause issues. MAzda knows about this problem too. I think the grinding started right after (a few thousand miles after)this was done, and it only happend at higher RPM's like 4K-redline. ALthough it occurrs the most at around the 5K rpms mark.

i thought i was just shifting too fast or something (even though i have many years exp. driving a stick-benefit of the doubt).

But i soon realised that the clutch was fully engaged and it still did it. Doesnt feel like a "true grind", but rather, like an abrubt and "light" crunch. Almost like the synchros are working correctly or a shift fork maybe? ITs the ONLY gear it does this on and severl other Pro5 owners have this strange problem.

Any suggestions aside from taking it BACK to the dealer? The front rotors also needed re-surfacing at 18K miles (never had one that soon before). thanks everyone in advance! chris j.

Lady I know has an 02 Mazda truck with 12k on it...rotors are done...local Mazda dealer won't warranty the items due to the one year brake clause....I can't get aftermarket rotors due to the age of the vehicle...NAPA goes back to 99 only...so it's the dealers' rotors that she will have to get...they want $400 to install rotors only...no new pads...I told her to raise H with Mazda to get something off the price...as for your shifting problem...don'y know too much about Mazda trannies...sorry.

third gear and brake warpage seems to be a problem with all the 3rd gen proteges. if it were me i'd take it to the dealer, that is what the are for and what you paid for a warranty for. you could change the oil to syn but if you have a defective part let the dealer fix it for free.
i also have a '02 protege5 but it is an auto.
if you haven't already seen it check out www.protegeclub.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back