35x12.5r17 vs 315/70r17

Currently I’m running the 35s on my Yukon however I found that the 315/70r17 is a little cheaper and only 1/2” smaller. Is there any reason that wouldn’t work? Thanks.

Currently I’m running the 35s on my Yukon however I found that the 315/70r17 is a little cheaper and only 1/2” smaller. Is there any reason that wouldn’t work? Thanks.
As a group, I'm not a big fan of "floater" sizes and would rather have the LT metric.
Why? Typically the floaters have big honkin' high void treads on smaller cases, are lighter in construction and carry less weight.
Compare 33/12.50/20s to 295/55/20s, both E rated. I have the latter in Nitto EXOs and weigh 72 lbs each on the bathroom scale.

As a group, I'm not a big fan of "floater" sizes and would rather have the LT metric.
Why? Typically the floaters have big honkin' high void treads on smaller cases, are lighter in construction and carry less weight.
Compare 33/12.50/20s to 295/55/20s, both E rated. I have the latter in Nitto EXOs and weigh 72 lbs each on the bathroom scale.

Sorry I’m confused, what is a floater size?

Tire sizes that start with the OD. Such as 33x, 34x, 35x 36x etc.

Unless going wider than the stock wheel, I'd limit the size to 285/75/17 or 35/11.50/17.
Wider tires need wider wheels to wear properly.

www.tiresize.com

Hmm, it looks like 285/75R17 is almost a 34, and they are yet again quite a bit cheaper. I guess I'll have to confirm that my wheels are 17x7.5 before I pull the trigger. I do want them to wear correctly/evenly as tires are EXPENSIVE whew.

Hmm, it looks like 285/75R17 is almost a 34, and they are yet again quite a bit cheaper. I guess I'll have to confirm that my wheels are 17x7.5 before I pull the trigger. I do want them to wear correctly/evenly as tires are EXPENSIVE whew.
When you look at tire specs, you will see an approved wheel width. In the case of a 285/75/17 it is 7.5-9.5". I've done dozens of 285s in 16 & 17 inch
on 8 & 9s. I like going to the widest allowable wheel possible to eliminate sidewall flex and heat.
Putting a wide tire on a narrow rim will wear the center of the tire, because the outside edge of the tread is pulled up off the ground.
Also, when the tread contacts the pavement, there's more bulge and tread spreading which scrubs the tread as it spreads outward.
What is good for off road traction and rock climbing is bad for tire life, on highway handling and fuel economy.
As an option, find some 18x8.5" or 20x9" factory take-offs on FB market place, Kijiji or CL. You might be surprised how cheap they are.
Factory wheels with their high positive offset will fit under the vehicle, instead of sticking out, and they allow a bigger tire without clearance problems compared to aftermarket wheels.

Yeah, tire prices have gone up in the last year and many sizes are hard to get or sold out.
My GMC has 285/75/18 Toyo AT IIs on the factory 18x8" wheels. 11.25x35
They fit without rubbing on my daughter's 2018 3500, but she says 18s make her sea sick.
She's gotta have the stiffer faster handling 20s

Last edited:
I'm doing the same next round. The sizes are nearly identical since 35 are almost never really 35". Ask a tire shop to see both. You can't tell a difference. I think the 315 are less because of the vehicles who run them from the factory now.

When you look at tire specs, you will see an approved wheel width. In the case of a 285/75/17 it is 7.5-9.5". I've done dozens of 285s in 16 & 17 inch
on 8 & 9s. I like going to the widest allowable wheel possible to eliminate sidewall flex and heat.
Putting a wide tire on a narrow rim will wear the center of the tire, because the outside edge of the tread is pulled up off the ground.
Also, when the tread contacts the pavement, there's more bulge and tread spreading which scrubs the tread as it spreads outward.
What is good for off road traction and rock climbing is bad for tire life, on highway handling and fuel economy.
As an option, find some 18x8.5" or 20x9" factory take-offs on FB market place, Kijiji or CL. You might be surprised how cheap they are.
Factory wheels with their high positive offset will fit under the vehicle, instead of sticking out, and they allow a bigger tire without clearance problems compared to aftermarket wheels.

Yeah, tire prices have gone up in the last year and many sizes are hard to get or sold out.
My GMC has 285/75/18 Toyo AT IIs on the factory 18x8" wheels. 11.25x35
Yeah I see now if I look at it carefully at my vehicle how it sits, it does seem like the current tires are a bit too wide for the wheel. Seems like the 285/75R17 is the way to go. It's "correct" for the wheels, and a bit cheaper.

Attachments

• yukon.jpg
    yukon.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 1677301493047.jpg
    1677301493047.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 11
You have tons of room. It looks leveled/lifted. Anything smaller than 35s might look weird. What can you find in 35/11.50/17 if you
stick with the wheels you have?

Back