33k miles and never changed oil?

was able to find the pix i took of the oil from the sub. this is all that came out

1ZsmQsD.png

Yup, never do such favours for people.

"My engine exploded after you changed the oil".

That would be my worry, hopefully the husband sees all this and gets it.

But i don't get the " I don't know, its my wifes car" I'm not chauvinist, but i make sure all the vehicles in my household are maintained, not just " mine" I bet there's other problems there.

The owner is fortunate its a new car, so there was not an abundance of sludge preexisting. Ironically, the internals being a clean slate to begin with might have saved it.

I would definitely suggest a short clean out interval, or two. You are a good neighbor. thanks for posting.

That would be my worry, hopefully the husband sees all this and gets it.

But i don't get the " I don't know, its my wifes car" I'm not chauvinist, but i make sure all the vehicles in my household are maintained, not just " mine" I bet there's other problems there.

Yeah I'm with you on this... I actually take my lady's car out for drives to check everything over. And I do the routine car of that 98 Camry.

Seems like that husband needs to take charge and make sure the oil gets changed along with other routine maintenance.

It's a womans world. She knows best ;) Clearly this guy is not on his game.

At 12k miles you could tell the oil was shot was more of a very thin oil consistancy, No sludge.
While I don't do it myself and wouldn't tell anyone else to do it, 12k miles on a synthetic oil probably isn't much of a concern.

I'm one who would offer help, but I'm learning I should keep my noise out of other people's business.

We had an instance at work where someone locked their car with the keys inside. Mechanics offered to help and they unlocked it for her. She then complained about a few scratches and made the company pay for the damage. Ungrateful woman.

People will crucify me for this but if I would run a couple of short flushes and suggest he trade it.

In my opinion long term he is looking for issue.

Have the same problem with my Mom. She pays absolutely no attention to the dashboard when the car starts and never sees the change oil message (that goes out once the car is put in gear).

I have an annual reminder in my phone to change her oil. She was doing about 6,000 mi a year under normal circumstances.

At least he doesn't buy into that "I change my oil, it's cheap insurance" bs or the "Oil is cheap, cars aren't" bs. Heck I bet he saved a few leaves or maybe some grass clippings (definitely not a whole tree) by doing his extended oci haha! :p

I don't understand people. You spend 30k plus on a new car and don't think about taking care of it. Dude needs to exchange his man card for a snow flake card.

If she was leasing the car that makes sense (not really).

Everyone knows you change the oil at 18 months on the lease to get rid of the evidence (OEM Oil Filter).

Thanks for posting the experience and especially the pics!!

It's a pretty cool example of how long a car can go before it locks up from neglect. Sorry if I missed it, but I wonder how many times they had to add oil. They had to have added oil and low oil level light should have been lit on the dash if only 2qts came out. Subaru added the low oil level light 'feature' around 2012-14 when the FB series engines came out and I know on the ones I had, it would come on when she's a quart low.

I'm amazed at the dudes that say "it's the wife's car". I guess he's lucky if he's not paying for it. LOL.

My wife would be clueless about OCIs if weren't for OLM warnings on her cars I set as a backup if I hadn't already changed the oil.

Seeing this makes me glad my wife is on top of her maintenance, right now she is taking it in every 3000 miles because that's what our mechanic wants her to do since the engine is still under warranty from being replaced.

While I don't do it myself and wouldn't tell anyone else to do it, 12k miles on a synthetic oil probably isn't much of a concern.

A 2015 Subaru Crosstrek owner on another forum changes his oil every 12,000 miles with Mobil 1 0W20 and now has 970,000 miles on the car. The FB20 engine was swapped at 634,000 miles. Speaking of oil changes and Subaru Crosstrek owners.

Reactions: JTK
A 2015 Subaru Crosstrek owner on another forum changes his oil every 12,000 miles with Mobil 1 0W20 and now has 970,000 miles on the car. The FB20 engine was swapped at 634,000 miles. Speaking of oil changes and Subaru Crosstrek owners.

I've seen that!

As much as I didn't mind my Subarus, I could not imagine being in the seat of that Crosstrek that amount of miles/hours. Wow!

My bil. Who was a school teacher bought a new maverick. I was riding with him he a ask what is that noise see when I corner fast. It was bearings in the engine.I ask him how his oil was.He said it's full.when did you last change it? He said you have to change it? Car had 45000 miles on it.

Back