33k miles and never changed oil?

was changing the oil in my car and my neighbor came over to BS. So i asked him if he want to change the oil in his wife's car as i had the tools out. So after i was done he pulled in to drain the oil. Vehicle is a 2018 Crosstrek with 33k miles. To my surprise only about 2 quarts of oil came out. i asked him when was it last changed and he said he does not know as its his wife's car.

while the oil was draining i went to change the oil filter. To my surprise its the black filter. to those that don't know that would be interesting, the black filter is a filter made in japan . its usually only seen when the car is new and before the first oil change. if the filter had been change there should be a blue sub filter or aftermarket filter.

So putting 2+2 together the crosstrek has never had the oil changed , and if it did the filter was never changed. i do understand that oil filter enthusiast might buy a factory black filter and install it , but these folks certainly are not that type

before i threw it away i decide to cut open the filter to look inside. inside was a bunch of sludge . not as bad as i thought it would be ,but more than i have even seen in other filter i have cut up . feels like petroleum jelly .

So i explain all the issues to the guy and told him to change the oil again in 2k miles and pray he does not have any engine issues or need warranty work on it.

pix

uEggJNW.png

UV07jjd.png

VY8Hmdh.png

bleh. Makes me wonder though. Run a short OCI or two and... maybe nothing bad will happen. I'm guessing oil goes downhill quickly, maybe this was caught on the slope--before it got bad.

Now when this guy trades it in, the poor person who buys it used will surely have problems and end up thinking Subarus are POS.

Sometimes car manufacturers get bad raps in the second hand market from initial owners who do a piss poor job of maintenance.

While I run my vehicles hard (they see plenty of red line) I am meticulous about maintenance (do it myself) and always use the best stuff I can buy.

Yup, never do such favours for people.

"My engine exploded after you changed the oil".
did not realize how bad it was till the oil, or lack there of drained out . its still under warranty so i will let Subaru explain it to them if they have issues. if they sue me they can recoup the amount i charged them for the oil change , Nothing

did not realize how bad it was till the oil, or lack there of drained out . its still under warranty so i will let Subaru explain it to them if they have issues. if they sue me they can recoup the amount i charged them for the oil change , Nothing

That's the second best thing. If you are going to do something for someone, don't do it for any consideration. Otherwise it's a business transaction.

Seems like that husband needs to take charge and make sure the oil gets changed along with other routine maintenance.
Let me roll my eyes a little harder.

@CarLuver , thanks for posting pics. Always fun to see some of the "gruesome" results of negligence.

This is championship level car care maintenance... :LOL:

The fact only 2 qts came out... Tells me a lot of it had burned off and or turned into thick darn heavy sludge in the motor. If the vehicle took 5 qts that is a lot of oil burned off or turned into heavy tar/sludge. . Guaranteed that the bearings, crankshaft pistons etc all have a lot of extra wear put on them and it cannot be corrected.

You did a good deed and like one of the members have said it was good not to have charged him any money. . Not a business transaction.

This is championship level car care maintenance... :LOL:

The fact only 2 qts came out... Tells me a lot of it had burned off and or turned into thick darn heavy sludge in the motor. If the vehicle took 5 qts that is a lot of oil burned off or turned into heavy tar/sludge. . Guaranteed that the bearings, crankshaft pistons etc all have a lot of extra wear put on them and it cannot be corrected.

You did a good deed and like one of the members have said it was good not to have charged him any money. . Not a business transaction.

plus I’m sure the scheduled maintenance reminder light was on as was the oil light. She just needed a trophy light to get her attention. 🏆

My daughter used to drive 1000 a week and never tell me her light was on.
At 12k miles you could tell the oil was shot was more of a very thin oil consistancy, No sludge.
I started putting in Mobil 1 extended performance to hope it would protect longer.

Back