.327 Federal Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess the only question I have on this new caliber is will it be popular enough over time to have the ammo supported? Personally, I'd by the GP100 in .357 and shoot +P .38 rounds if I wanted lower recoil.

I have had the chance to shoot one. It has pop to it so it may not be the best idea for some, but it is a very accurate and much more comfortable to shoot compared to .357mag. I decided not to get it due to the high cost of hobby shooting with that round and lower availability. The ballistics are great, good for home defense (anyone could shoot it accurately with a little practice and chance for over-penetration is lessened compared to other rounds. All in all there are other rounds that do a similar job with a lesser price. If you have your heart set on one I surely wouldn't want to deter you, it is a fine cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Guess the only question I have on this new caliber is will it be popular enough over time to have the ammo supported?

That is my main concern.

In looking for a new small gun throw an eye ball on a S&W Air Lite PD. 357 Mag and of course shoots 38 Special+. Availability of this ammo has and should always be available everywhere for you.

If you have access to all the other .32 caliber rounds that are interchangeable. I say go for it.

The .327 acts similar to the .357 in that it has other more mild rounds that will work in it.

I've genuinely thought about getting one just to have 6 rounds in a standard sized snubbie. But I don't have the cash on hand right now.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Guess the only question I have on this new caliber is will it be popular enough over time to have the ammo supported?

That is my main concern.
+2 But then if you bought 500 rounds and reloaded to get lots of practice.

I have not shot one. I have looked at them and have an opinion.

The .327 Federal is 100 years too late. It is basically a 32 S&W with a little extra oomph. It would have been good for a light wilderness rifle, but there isn't very much wilderness left today. It would have also made a good back door rifle or ranch rifle. The .327 is similar to a .30 Carbine out of a handgun. The bullet diameter is the same and weight it close. You will have more bullet types available with the .327 Fed Mag than the .30 Carbine.

As others have said you have to figure out if the cartridge will still be around in 10 or 20 years. One guarantee that a cartridge will be successful is if the US military has used it: 30-06, 30-30, 45-70, 30 Carbine, 223/5.56, 7.62/308 win, 9mm, 45 ACP, etc. The 357 sig and 40 S&W cartridges are very good, but they haven't seemed to catch on except for police. Marlin (Remlin) will most likely discontinue offering guns chambered in 450 Marlin; ending the popularity of that cartridge. The 10mm is used for pistol hunting, but it isn't something you see in the gun store everyday. The 41 mag has its nitch just like the 10mm.

I've not shot them, but I read up on that cartridge myself when deciding on a pistol to buy. I don't think it will have the longevity in the end. You've got .38 and .357 on either side of it power-wise and while it's ballistics and terminal characteristics are good, they just aren't spectacular enough to warrant continued success. The SP101 is a fine gun. I'd get it in .357 and practice with .38s.

You also have resale value to consider. A lot of people are going to look at at .327 and say "WUT?" Think about all the guns you've (presumably) seen in wildcat calibers in gun shops, pawn shops, and gun shows made practically useless now for lack of ammo.

JMO, YMMV, ETC.

I haven't shot one, but have read a number of articles about them in various gun rags. The .327 offers something the various other .32's didn't offer. .357 class ballistics in a small frame 6 shot revolver. Unlike the .32 H&R, which touted .38 special ballistics, but barely made minimum .38 special power. The .327 really is close on the heels of the .357 magnum. Recoil is up there with heavier bullets, but some loads with 85 grain bullets still offer a lot of bite with manageable recoil. Any of the .327 loads will come with high muzzle blast, so protect your ears.

As a few here have pointed out, there is some question as to whether or not it will survive. I'd watch to see if other ammunition makers adapt the round. Right now Speer and Federal market ammunition for .327 Federal. All the major revolver makers have at least one gun in the caliber, and that is somewhat encouraging, but the jury is still out.

I think the .327 Federal would make a great backpack gun. It is small, yet you still can carry a full 6 rounds (7 in the case of the Ruger GP100). You can carry .32 S&W long for doing small game hunting and .327 Federal to protect you from predators, both two legged or 4 legged. As it is, it is very versatile. If you reload, it is even more versatile.

If I were to purchase one, I'd invest in some reloading supplies to make sure I had access to ammunition for the long haul. Reloading is not as critical with readily available rounds, but the .327 Federal is not likely to be found in mass sporting goods stores, at least not currently

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I've not shot them, but I read up on that cartridge myself when deciding on a pistol to buy. I don't think it will have the longevity in the end. You've got .38 and .357 on either side of it power-wise and while it's ballistics and terminal characteristics are good, they just aren't spectacular enough to warrant continued success. The SP101 is a fine gun. I'd get it in .357 and practice with .38s.

You also have resale value to consider. A lot of people are going to look at at .327 and say "WUT?" Think about all the guns you've (presumably) seen in wildcat calibers in gun shops, pawn shops, and gun shows made practically useless now for lack of ammo.

JMO, YMMV, ETC.
+1

My J frame on the CCW looks like it has been through the Korean police action, Vietnam and the middle east conflicts. I doubt anybody would want to buy it.

The guts are O.K been back to S@W! the outside is well worn and scratched. The steel cyl has rust spots on it from being holstered in my pocket. I do take it out of the holster nightly and wipe it off but it still rust. when I am done with the gun it will be in throw away condition.

Nah, man! Nothing a good glass bead blasting (or dremel buffing) and some baked on Duracoat couldn't fix. If the gun's already not a looker, get yourself a spray can of duracoat, a spray can of brake parts cleaner and some 300 grit sandpaper and go to town. Your rust days will be over.

What other milder rounds can be fired in a .327 Mag?

I've seen those on the Ruger pages, and I am quite intrigued. I now have 4 .357 Mag guns and honestly, for every 1 full box of .357 mag I shoot, I probably shoot 5-6 boxes of .38 Special.

Ever seen a revolver fire a magnum at night. Wowser. And really loud 24/7
grin2.gif
I suspect if you aren't a reloader you will go with buying a lot of the lighter stuff. Now if I was set up to reload, I may already own a .327 Federal Magnum.

32 Special, 32 S&W?, I've never seen them in retail, but I never looked.

PS if you want really big fireballs, load up some 40 S&W with Blue Dot. Really accurate, at least in Glocks, but muzzle blast is almost 12" long and as loud as 44 Magnum.

Wiki covered it OK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.327_Federal_Magnum

And this:

Quote:
Any .327 Mag. revolver can also fire .32 H&R Mag. and .32 S&W Long cartridges, much as any .22 Long Rifle revolver can also fire .22 Long and .22 Short cartridges. The reverse, of course, is not true. A .327 Mag. revolver could also safely fire .32 S&W (short) cartridges, although why one would want to do so is another matter.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/327_federal.htm

One of my buddie's Dad hand loads hot 454 Cassull loads. His Ruger Alaskan is a flame thrower at night! It's a flame thrower in broad daylight. Painful to shoot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back