32" Office Monitor Recommendations?

Need something for double duty: office work (web, Word, Excel, email) on weekdays, personal stuff on weekends. I do some occasional photo editing, so I want good color gamut.

I currently use a 24" Dell IPS monitor, 1920x1200, but I feel like I'm sitting too close to it and it tires my eyes. I'm hoping a larger monitor will allow me to place it a little further back.

Basic requirements are:
- 32" diagonal, but not ultrawide
- 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 resolution
- high color gamut
- height adjustable

I'm open to curved ones, although I've never owned one, so I'm not sure what to expect. High refresh rate isn't mandatory. Neither is ultra quick response time.

A few I've been looking at are Dell S3220DGF and LG 32UN650-W, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

32" is huge you will have to sit back or actually move your focus/turn head to see the screen.

I like my 28" after years of 24" 32" I felt was too big. And I went back to QHD@28" vs 4k@32"

Cant go wrong with dell ultrasharp line IMO.

What is your budget?
500?
Its been awhile since I did graphics but dont confuse the 3 or 4 color ratings.

That LG 32UN650-W looks pretty nice. 500 buys alot of monitor

The dell was 299 last week.. looks sale over though :(

any microcenter near you?(could cross shop these too)

LG 32UD60-B 31.5" 4K UHD $349

Samsung U32J590 31.5" 4K UHD $289 (brightness on this one seems sorta low)

Last edited:
I'd be sitting 3-3.5ft from it.

Just saw that. Always late to the party, it seems. Not in a huge rush though.
General thoughts.

Whatever you get I'd suggest somewhere with easy returns.
QHD esp on a monitor 1 or 2 notch bigger is more "1080p on a bigger screen" Similar Dot pitch/pixel size etc
4k does take some getting used to.
Friend has UHD on 24" and its odd.. cant imagine on a 4k laptop.

IMO I wouldnt do larger than 28" QHD
UHD has to be 28"+
(yes it overlaps at 28")

Curved is good, especially when you're up close, which you said you don't want. But it's hard to get "far" from such a big screen on a desk top.

I find I use about 2/3 of the width for actual work and push less active windows off to the sides.

This is one of those times to go to a brick and mortar store to see different models in person, then of course buy online.

I'm in contrast to Rand. The above link is what I have had for about a year for my desktop monitor. I went this route for digital photo and limited video editing/viewing. I shoot Nikon D850/Z6/Z7 and soon to be Z9. Heavy emphasis on larger mb NEF raw (and the new Nikon raw format). Perfectly a ok for viewing at traditional desk seating positions.

I am very happy with it. Excellent display.

Edit to add: It comes with a color calibration cert. I found I did not have to adjust for Nikon colors. From what I hear on a pro photo site I often use, Canon color is fine as well but SOny and Fuji require adjustment. I only shoot Nikon so can't attest to the validity.

32" is probably ok curve or flat, but above that you definitely want to go curve. It is hard to tell what you should buy without actually seeing the screen in person, so return policy is important.

2560x1440 is probably ok if you want to save money and you are working with documents instead of gaming. I would pick that resolution too if it is not my gaming monitor or if my GPU is slow.

Whatever options you narrow down too, I’d check and see on Rtings as they do some pretty involved testing on monitors. The Dell you mentioned for instance is pretty decent.

As for curved or not, that varies on the person. I love them, some people not so much.

2560x1440 is probably ok if you want to save money and you are working with documents instead of gaming. I would pick that resolution too if it is not my gaming monitor or if my GPU is slow.
Yeah, you'd have to have a really powerful GPU to push high frame rates at 4K resolution.
Most gaming monitors are actually QHD (2K).

Yeah, you'd have to have a really powerful GPU to push high frame rates at 4K resolution.
Most gaming monitors are actually QHD (2K).
Depending on how much gaming you do running uhd at 1080p is exactly 1/4 so it scales nicely.
same with 720p and qhd

And of course everyone is different. I didnt find out what I would like until I returned a couple.. hence my recommendation to buy from someplace with easy returns.

I am currently running a 27GN850-B LG 27" QHD 144hz.

Not much gaming really. It's primarily going to be an office tool - reading text. The Dell S3221QS seems to have better text clarity ratings but the anti-reflective coating make it look somewhat blurry:

Your LG looks pretty good, too.

I'm in contrast to Rand. The above link is what I have had for about a year for my desktop monitor. I went this route for digital photo and limited video editing/viewing. I shoot Nikon D850/Z6/Z7 and soon to be Z9. Heavy emphasis on larger mb NEF raw (and the new Nikon raw format). Perfectly a ok for viewing at traditional desk seating positions.
Not a contrast at all
I thought that was out of the price range at $1200
I did mention couldnt go wrong with the ultrasharp series.

Its color calibrated and also a 32" uhd which fits with what I said except $1200.

The main issue with that great a monitor is it shows more color than you can usually print on paper.
so if you are looking to print it might look off vs the monitor.. for online no issues.

edit: I usually prefer matte.. glossy can pick up lights badly.

Not a contrast at all
I thought that was out of the price range at $1200
I did mention couldnt go wrong with the ultrasharp series.

Its color calibrated and also a 32" uhd which fits with what I said except $1200.

The main issue with that great a monitor is it shows more color than you can usually print on paper.
so if you are looking to print it might look off vs the monitor.. for online no issues.

edit: I usually prefer matte.. glossy can pick up lights badly.

My bad. I did not comprehend that end from your post. I love it for everything. Imaging is excellent and the mundane tasks are a ok as well. I prefer it to my laptop with 500 nits. Just harsh on the eyes at many settings. The 32" linked offers excellent color rendition.

You are certainly correct on the printing. I do not print at home, pro lab only. I also have a palette for matte over glossy. I have had success with higher end luster papers from pro labs as well.

1/4 of what?

1080p is 3/4 of 1440p and 1/2 of 2160p.

Or did you mean that 1080p is 1/4 smaller than 1440p?

key part was UHD aka 4k

1080p is 1/4 of UHD(4k)
so if you are gaming you can run a UHD monitor at 1080p and it will look good ie not blurry from scaling.

720p is 1/4 of QHD (quad hd) makes sense because 720p =hd

Give Dell S3220DGF 32" Curved a try, I bought two this summer for my office since I mostly work from home, and they are absolutely amazing. First curved monitor for me btw, never thought they are that good.

Give Dell S3220DGF 32" Curved a try, I bought two this summer for my office since I mostly work from home, and they are absolutely amazing. First curved monitor for me btw, never thought they are that good.
Just curious, how far are your eyes from the screen?

Back