3 gallon 1 HP Oil Lubeed Air Compressor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a 3 gallon 1 horse power Oil Lubed Air Compressor for Christmas.
My father has one and it makes keeping tire pressure up much more easy than using junk air compressors at gas stations.

What oil would yall recommend?
It says 30 weight non detergent oil in the manual, but I think that is a bunch of bunk.
Just looking for ideas.

Thanks.

If the rings are seating properly there should be little or no oil from the unit itself,moisture is likely to be more of an issue if there is one.HF sells small orange moisture filter that fit the hose end before the air chuck,it will filter small amounts of oil mist also. Under $5 for 2.

OP Amsoil is great stuff as is Redline 30w.Lowes has a semi synthetic 30w in smaller 12 or 16oz bottles that works fine for less than 10 bucks IIRC.

30W non detergent is correct for most small recip compressors.

You are not suppose to use any detergent oil in that application. You can find 30W non detergent oil in any auto parts store.
I don't think you can find anything except single weight oil in non detergent, but I could be wrong.

Use recommened oil and you will not have any problems.

We have a recip nitrogen compressor at work that runs about 6 hours per day. It have lasted 12 years with 30W non detergent and is still in good condition

Last edited:
ive read where if nd sae30 is unavalible, use high quality 10w30 full syn, id think amsoil makes a compressor oil if youd like $$

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Most tool store that sell compressors sell Air Compressor oil in 8 OZ bottles.

Exactly. Either that or any motor oil will do for a new, small, inexpensive compressor like this.

Joel

My compressors manuals say 30ND or Mobil 1 5W30. I changed the oil in both compressors to Mobil 1 because they're kept in unheated garages. On real cold days, the compressor wouldn't run with the straight 30 in it.

I may have received the same compressor (Craftsman) for xmas from my kids. I have a big Quincy and wanted a small carry model. I used some Quincy Quin-Cip 30W in the Craftsman, just because I had some. As I understand it, the Quin-Cip is a synthetic compressor oil.

Quin-Cip

Last edited:
If it's really cold I might have reset my compressor's circuit breaker 5-10 times until it finally gets enough steam to keep going after the capacitors are emptied out.

Probably not good for the motor, but it's a cheapie Harbor Freight special that is otherwise falling apart. Not even worth changing the oil in it.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
If it's really cold I might have reset my compressor's circuit breaker 5-10 times until it finally gets enough steam to keep going after the capacitors are emptied out.

Probably not good for the motor, but it's a cheapie Harbor Freight special that is otherwise falling apart. Not even worth changing the oil in it.

I had this problem until I put Amsoil 0W40 in my compressor. Now it starts first time, every time, at any temperature. It only takes about a cup of oil.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
My compressors manuals say 30ND or Mobil 1 5W30. I changed the oil in both compressors to Mobil 1 because they're kept in unheated garages. On real cold days, the compressor wouldn't run with the straight 30 in it.

I have a 7hp twin-cylinder Campbell-Hausfeld, I run 5w30 Mobile 1 in it year round...in fact, its due for a change (thanks for reminding me!). I would guess it has well over 1000 hours of run time on it and still goes strong.

I also have a little QTC (unknown manufacturer to me, got it from a friend for $15) compressor that's direct drive and cast-iron/oil filled...I intend to change it to 5w30 Mobile 1 also.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
So I got a 3 gallon 1 horse power Oil Lubed Air Compressor for Christmas.
It says 30 weight non detergent oil in the manual, but I think that is a bunch of bunk.

Most compressors run very well for years and years on ND 30 weight oil. You'd be fine running that cheap dino stuff which is available at nearly every hardware store around.

I have a bottle each of Amsoil ISO 46 (20 weight) oil & ISO 68 (30 weight compressor oils, which is what my compressors specify) that I use interchangably. The ISO 46 oil really helps the compressor kick over quickly in my unheated, uninsulated garage. I try to change it out about every 6 - 12 months but run the thinner stuff all year without worry if I forget to do so. It only takes about 150ml so I'll go 5+ years on a single bottle.

IMO it's more important that you make a point to check the oil level and change it at least once a year than what oil you run in the crankcase, although you may get reed valve & ring deposits with regular multigrade oil. These are fairly crude splash-lubricated pumps - synthetic oil is a treat!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Most tool store that sell compressors sell Air Compressor oil in 8 OZ bottles.

generally, these small bottles are air tool oil, not compressor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back