3.8L- 1996 Cougar-Preventative HeadGasket Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin has a 1996 Cougar with a 3.8L V6, 60,0000 mi., he is aware of the issues with the headgasket and has changed the rad to avoid problems in the future(sand from the mould may be an issue) as well as changing the coolant at or before recommended intervals. Not to mention if there is a synthetic fluid, he has changed to it and changed them before necessary.

'94-'95 had horrendous headgasket failures, and the '96's were changed in some way the '97's in another way, but Ford refuses to comment on it, suspect it will have liability issues.

What is the problem, was it the headgaskets or the head bolts...? Machining was bad?

Is there a better headgasket available from another manufacturer other than the OEM one?

When we spoke to the Autotalk guys(call in talk show in Toronto Ontario Canada where he resides) they say keep an eye on it.

Is there a better way like changing bolts or gasket before they go to avoid work at an unknown garage, lower bearing damage, and an expensive tow, hotel costs etc?

Have had suggestions by mechanics that they fail because of old coolant, and if you chg. the coolant there should be no problem. Another said change it and have the heads planned. Another said they now have a metal gasket that is better.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

my 94 thunderbird just died a horrific death by way of head gaskets a few months ago.

the problem is with the head studs. the engineers at ford decided that since the aluminum head and iron block expand and contract at different rates, they would use flexible head studs to counteract it. the problem was that the studs allowed the head to "rub" against the block, eventually wearing the gasket so thin that it couldn't hold pressure anymore and blow out.

i decided not to fix mine, but i've heard that the "proper" way to fix the problem is to use either the updated gaskets from ford or the fel-pro gaskets from any auto parts store and to use ARP head studs. supposedly, they do not "flex" like the oem studs do. i've also heard of some that use the head studs from a chevy 2.8 v6.

check out the forums at tccoa.com...that is a thunderbird and cougar club and there is tons of information about the head gasket issues there.

now all that being said, i'm pretty sure in '96 ford changed the design to fix the problem and then again in '97 they made a few more changes. your '96 SHOULD be ok, but i'm always leary of ANY 3.8/4.2 ford engine, since i've seen way too many of them with blown gaskets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back