3.6l LFX V6 Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: morepwr
GM uses Mobil 1 as a factory fill on the V8 engines so you know its a good oil.

As well as all the other Cadillac 3.6DI engines prior to the Dexos switch.

The internet forums - and Camaro one's seem the worst, all full of armchair "experts" that are totally clueless and probably never even work on their cars.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

The internet forums - and Camaro one's seem the worst, all full of armchair "experts" that are totally clueless and probably never even work on their cars.

so your saying Mobil 1 is the best? just for the fact that cadillac and the v8 camaro come standard with it? from UOA looks like Mobil 1 is a little behind from Penzoil Platinum. if im wrong im srry

Its a cartridge filter so stick with OEM unless you want to venture onto something like a Purolator Pureone. Avoid the Fram cartridge filters, i've heard nothing but bad things. Avoid generic or house brand cartridge filters at all costs. If you want to keep it simple stick with the AC Delco; you can't go wrong.

In reference to the M1 can't really say one oil is the best, but i have been noticing better UOAs from Pennzoil which is part of the reason i switched to PP.

Its hard to compare one UOA to another especially since the ones i keep seeing aren't the same engines, but i seem to notice single digit iron wear numbers on most pennzoil UOAs and 20 plus PPM on the M1 UOAs. Does this mean the people using M1 run their cars harder? I can't say for sure, but just going through the PCMO UOAs i can't help but see the differences and wonder if there is a reason.

Agreed! An amazing place, what a waste of time.

Your engine will love a heavy foot, it's a natural screamer that loves to rev. Get it warm first, then get on it often. It's actually good for it!

And quit obsessing over brands, any Dexos certified oil is fine, especially since you won't take advantage of one of the best OLM's in the automobile industry!

Originally Posted By: rozay
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The manual should tell you the severe service interval and normal service intervals. It should have an oil life monitor right? Follow the olm and uoa it if you can. It should be calibrated correctly for your engine.

i dont really trust the olm.

You really should.
GM knows more about their engine than you do.
Yes, they have had cases on their DI engines where they have had to reprogram the OLM for shorter intervals, but this shows that they're paying attention. The OLM in your car is programmed with the latest updates. And if there are any more updates, they'll do a recall and notify you to bring the car in for reprogramming.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rozay

so your saying Mobil 1 is the best? just for the fact that cadillac and the v8 camaro come standard with it? from UOA looks like Mobil 1 is a little behind from Penzoil Platinum. if im wrong im srry

Nowhere in my post did I say that. However, Mobil 1 is my choice since it was good enough for factory fill for my CTS and Corvette and is an excellent oil. However, PP is also a good choice. I don't think you can "prove" Mobil 1 or PP as better than the other.

It's never too early to dump the FF unless it's a break in oil. An even 1-2k should be good though. If you choose to keep it until the oil life monitor indicates a change I'm sure it would be fine also.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The manual should tell you the severe service interval and normal service intervals. It should have an oil life monitor right? Follow the olm and uoa it if you can. It should be calibrated correctly for your engine.

When there is an OLM, doesn't this calculate whether the usage is normal or severe?

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
Has it ever been shown that changing the FF early has led to longer engine life?

In our fleet trucks engine life has risen dramatically with the advent of the GM OLM. These are all V8 motors but the implication is clear.

Since 2003 our engines easily outlast the truck they came in. The only engine we have repaired before 200k miles since 03 is a defective one. One in our fleet is being sold with 500k miles and no oil use, drips, knocks, nothing! Oil changed only by OLM since new.

Steve,
is the inference that you were changing late on a lot of them ?

I can get that one size doesn't fit all, but if traditional OCIs were too soon, they must be introducing another failure mode with them.

Thoughts ?

The difference is due to our very unique duty cycle. Our trucks are used as stationary power sources for extended periods of time at 1500-1750 rpm.

We used a variety of methods to account for oil changes, the most accurate was fuel consumed. But they obviously were not as good as the OLM is at counting each individual crankshaft revolution!

Plus the obvious improvements in oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back