3.5 EcoBoost M1 EP vs M1 ESP vs Rotella Gas Truck

I've mostly run M1EP 5w30 in our Ecoboost for 10k OCI's and it has performed perfectly. I did do one run on RGT 5w30 but I won't run anything but EP for more than a 5k OCI.

I also run Fram Ultras with that engine.

I've never smelled fuel in the oil like some Ecoboosts, so I think the EP is doing fine. I've not done a UOA on it. But I might at some point.
Do you think a particular oil prevents fuel dilution?

How much short tripping do you do, including winter ?

That's not the only cause for fuel dilution. Direct-injected engines tend to experience fuel dilution. Direct-injected and turbo-charged engines experience even more fuel dilution. This issue is exacerbated when low octane (cheap) gasoline is run in these engines, which, considering how expensive premium is, most people run in their engines, including me. To compensate for the low octane gasoline and prevent pre-ignition, the computer will run the engine rich and dump more fuel than needed in the combustion chamber. This is how LSPI happens, something that European manufacturers didn't recognize for the longest time. That's because if you bought a European turbo-charged and directed-injected vehicle, the owner's manual told you immediately that premium gasoline is required.

Short tripping, especially in winter, will cause some fuel dilution in any engine, not just GDI and T-GDI.

Just do a search here for Ford 2.7, 3.5 EB uoa Magnatec oil. These EB engines love this stuff, synthetic or the blend. And it’s inexpensive, for 5-10k oci.

Do you think a particular oil prevents fuel dilution?
No, I think it is the driving pattern. It gets a good mix of city/highway but the engine always gets up to full temp. Rarely are there short trips where it doesn't get to full operating temp and stay there for at least 20 to 30 minutes. Usually longer.

The reason I referred to the smell of fuel in the oil is that it is common. If I did smell it at say, 5k miles, or less, I would change the OCI to 5k. But since I've never smelled it, I run 10k. I'd bet the oil could go further, but I'm not comfortable with it.

And just to throw it out there, my engine gets mostly Shell 87 octane, but if not Shell, then Top Tier. I don't know if that makes much difference in a DI engine, but it sure as heck does in my non-DI engines, especially my 08 Jeep 3.8.

I do 10k oci with my gen 1 EB 3.5. Over 120k so far, so good. Mostly use Castrol Edge 0w40, just because . . .
all my uoa are posted here if anyone cares.

Started using PPHM 5w-30 at 90K mile mark with 5K OCI...Maybe at the 100K mark I should send in a oil sample for testing?

Started using PPHM 5w-30 at 90K mile mark with 5K OCI...Maybe at the 100K mark I should send in a oil sample for testing?

High Mileage oil seems good because it's beefed up. However, I am wondering what seals does it exactly condition on modern engines?

High Mileage oil seems good because it's beefed up. However, I am wondering what seals does it exactly condition on modern engines?
Indeed.

Many question the value vs gimmick of HM oils.

Since Pennzoil Platinum is a quality product I figure their HM line is too, and I won't lose any sleep over it.

Indeed.

Many question the value vs gimmick of HM oils.

Since Pennzoil Platinum is a quality product I figure their HM line is too, and I won't lose any sleep over it.

I think their marketing sucks, and the psychological component stops many from using them. To me, they are a "stouter" version of the same viscosity. Let's be real, if you have worn out bushings or bearings then a slight bump in viscosity won't fix a severe drop in oil pressure, neither will a slight bump in additives stop further accelerated wear.

I think their marketing sucks, and the psychological component stops many from using them. To me, they are a "stouter" version of the same viscosity. Let's be real, if you have worn out bushings or bearings then a slight bump in viscosity won't fix a severe drop in oil pressure, neither will a slight bump in additives stop further accelerated wear.
As of right now I'm not noticing any oil use nor leaks...I'd like to keep my truck for another 3, or 4 more years...If the HM oil helps in that dept - then it's all good to me, and since it costs the same as the standard PP at the local Walmart - then why not?

As of right now I'm not noticing any oil use nor leaks...I'd like to keep my truck for another 3, or 4 more years...If the HM oil helps in that dept - then it's all good to me, and since it costs the same as the standard PP at the local Walmart - then why not?
approved.gif
I'm trying to get 10 to 15 more years out of my RAM 1500, so I completely understand where you're coming from.

Run each one, see what the safe OCI is, compare UOAs then decide.

A bunch of internet people giving opinions doesn't furnish what you need to know.

edit: except maybe RhondaHonda's post, which is a very similar vehicle... but his usage and driving habits may not be the same.
People are known to come to Bitog for opinions from experienced people. Just a bunch of internet people? I don't think so.

Back