3.5 EcoBoost M1 EP vs M1 ESP vs Rotella Gas Truck

Don't go over 5k and change it earlier if you're doing short city drives especially in cold weather.
*Mobil 1 EP should possibly be able to go 7,500 miles OCI with in - city, severe driving as this is a robust Mobil oil .

IMO ESP is the best of the XOM offerings.
XOM makes good oils across the board. Except for their Mobil 1 gear oil, that's trash. Good thing they also make Delvac, that gear oil is good stuff.

I've run their synthetic gear oil for as far back as I can remember w/o issue, and I go back a long way.

Well, then I guess I should rephrase my statement: Mobil 1 doesn't make gear oil that is as good as they could make it. I think they do it on purpose so that it doesn't compete with their Delvac gear oil.

Well, then I guess I should rephrase my statement: Mobil 1 doesn't make gear oil that is as good as they could make it. I think they do it on purpose so that it doesn't compete with their Delvac gear oil.
No problem. There are many products written about that some of us love, and others hate. I'll read up on their Delvac gear oil, and might consider it at a later date. I try and keep an open mind.

If Delvac ESP came in 15w40 flavor I'd REALLY like it.

This 5w30 ESP though - the more I read on here, the more I like it.

XOM makes good oils across the board. Except for their Mobil 1 gear oil, that's trash. Good thing they also make Delvac, that gear oil is good stuff.
Really? used M1 for over 20 years before switching to Delvac for cost and less FM. Always like new after 60k of towing, on road, and off road.
I still use the Delvac but don’t pretend the M1 is a lesser product

45A5F7AD-091E-42A8-9F68-9A2C852AF0A2.jpg

Really? used M1 for over 20 years before switching to Delvac for cost and less FM. Always like new after 60k of towing, on road, and off road.

View attachment 59251
All these years, I've used Mobil1 LS 75W-90 gear oil in my 2006 Silverado with good results. For over half of each year and for over a decade, it operates in real Alaskan winters where my truck runs in 4WD 90% of the time. No problems... :)

View attachment 59251
I don't think that their 75W-90 is that great, I was primarily thinking about that one. For some reason when it comes to easily available gear oil, Valvoline Synthetic seems like a better all-around option. Plus, Valvoline's 75W-90 is Milspec, Mobil 1 is not. Delvac 1 is though. Also, it's nearly impossible to find Delvac 1 75W-140, as I believe 80W-140 took its place for heavy-duty use.

Because it doesn't meet the requirements for SN PLUS, or ExxonMobil does not really care about an API license for the intended market.

It carries the MB 229.52 approval, which covers LSPI: https://360.lubrizol.com/2020/Understanding-the-Daimler-MB-229,-d-,52-Specification

It's intended mostly for light-duty diesel engines and powerful gasoline motors for the European market and European vehicles. It's what Porsche dealerships put in something like a Turbo Macan, once a year here in the US, or every 10,000 miles. So I guess it's the second part, XOM doesn't really care about the API when it comes to these oils.

I've mostly run M1EP 5w30 in our Ecoboost for 10k OCI's and it has performed perfectly. I did do one run on RGT 5w30 but I won't run anything but EP for more than a 5k OCI.

I also run Fram Ultras with that engine.

I've never smelled fuel in the oil like some Ecoboosts, so I think the EP is doing fine. I've not done a UOA on it. But I might at some point.

Reactions: 4WD
Back