3.4L yamaha V8 SHO reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anything about the 3rd gen SHOs with the 3.4L yamaha V8? I know they have that cam failure problem, but welding them fixes the problem. But that aside, how is the cars reliability? can they last a good amount of miles?

I always thougt that little Yamaha V-8 they put in the SHO was a neat engine. Too bad it wasn't more popular!

The biggest issue with those has to do with what you mentioned. Otherwise they seem to be super reliable if you keep them happy with oil.

Originally Posted By: Nate_V8
Anyone know anything about the 3rd gen SHOs with the 3.4L yamaha V8? I know they have that cam failure problem, but welding them fixes the problem. But that aside, how is the cars reliability? can they last a good amount of miles?

If you get one let us know how it is to drive.........

My 98 turns corners better than anything I have owned, and cruises nice up to about 75-80MPH.......but with 145 HP is wanting for more little ponies.

I have read the SHO V-8 runs like an F-1 engine...........I would love to drive one. Of course the new SHO will put it to shame but so what.

I would love to own one as a collector car.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have read the SHO V-8 runs like an F-1 engine...........I would love to drive one. Of course the new SHO will put it to shame but so what.

During testing I believe they ran it at redline for almost 24 hours and it didnt seem to even phase it. I've always loved those funky v6 and v8 yamaha/ford engines that make my SVT jealous.

Originally Posted By: Nate_V8

Ford has recommended most of their engines switch to a 5W-20 oil. The V8 3.4 SHO is NOT one of them. Stick to your 5W-30 oil. And, of course, get the cams welded. Otherwise you are looking at engine failure.
BTW, buying a short block directly through Ford is still about $12K, so do the preventive work. Through ebay is about $400.
Individual components for this engine are pretty high and will remain so. The weakest component of this car is still the tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back