~2yo. brake fluid bottles collapsed. Still OK?

I have four bottles of unopened Honda brake fluid. They're probably around 2 years old but the sides of the bottles have collapsed. Is this still OK to use?

IMG_20220824_190005.jpg

quite common occurance, strange as I wonder where the vacuum comes from - they show this summer or winter....
Yeah. I would think something needs to be leaving the bottle to cause this vacuum. I guess that's either air or brake fluid?

I see that on lots of things, not just brake fluid. Usually the container is fairly soft polyethylene. My hunch: the contents are packed in a slight vacuum. As the plastic container ages, it loses some strength and sucks itself in because of the internal vacuum. Maybe someone here would confirm or correct me?

if that"s the case the bottles should at times reurn to regular shape, but they never do.
Yeah I remember talking to a chemistry professor about this in college. I don’t really remember the exact answer but I seem to recall that the material escapes through the packaging from the inside where there is a high vapor pressure to the outside where there is a low one. It then dissipates so as a result an equilibrium is never achieved.

yes either something is escaping, or stuff is bonding into something more dense. either way, not too concerned, i never had it happen on my own stash

How about my avitar? I was thinking since brake fluid is hygroscopic, I would purge the air from the bottle with canned air before quickly closing the cap.

The winter months came around and you can see the result.

I see that on lots of things, not just brake fluid. Usually the container is fairly soft polyethylene. My hunch: the contents are packed in a slight vacuum. As the plastic container ages, it loses some strength and sucks itself in because of the internal vacuum. Maybe someone here would confirm or correct me?
I see this happen to old unopened bottles at work all the time, plastic usually gets softer and it's easier for it to be pushed in.

Back