2nd life for 1 year old tire that met an untimely demise

I had this 1yr old Yokohama A/T tire that got the side wall cut by stuff dropped in the roadway by some idiot.
I'm turning it into feet for my air compressor.
I couldn't find and buy decent low profile equipment feet so I made some.
This shows every step in the process.
Use a bandsaw or sawsall to cut the tire into blocks. Use a forcener to make a flat landing spot for button head bolt and washer, used a 5/8'' forcener bit for a standard 1/4 inch washer. Drill a hole through the tire equal to the bolt plus 1/16 of an inch.
I found the steel belt to be quite dulling for drill bits so probably use an old drill bit.
Don't hit the steel belt with your forcener bit I'm sure it would dull it instantly, I only went as deep as the tire grooves.
Definitely use a lock nut on high vibration equipment.
IMG_20240525_121139_1.jpg

I had this 1yr old Yokohama A/T tire that got the side wall cut by stuff dropped in the roadway by some idiot.
I'm turning it into feet for my air compressor.
I couldn't find and buy decent low profile equipment feet so I made some.
This shows every step in the process.
Use a bandsaw or sawsall to cut the tire into blocks. Use a forcener to make a flat landing spot for button head bolt and washer, used a 5/8'' forcener bit for a standard 1/4 inch washer. Drill a hole through the tire equal to the bolt plus 1/16 of an inch.
I found the steel belt to be quite dulling for drill bits so probably use an old drill bit.
Don't hit the steel belt with your forcener bit I'm sure it would dull it instantly, I only went as deep as the tire grooves.
Definitely use a lock nut on high vibration equipment.
View attachment 221756
Nice use for a roadkilled tire. Now I just need a shop and a compressor! Haha

For your future travels around the Internet, it's a 'Forstner bit'. It's the inventor's last name, like a Phillips bit. :)

Back