-26C start today.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a bitter, northern cold front move into the Ottawa, Ontario area last night. It was -1C driving home last night, but by 7pm, the wind picked up, and the temp dropped to a reported air temp between -24C and -26C, with windchills around -39C...ouch!

This is going to sound silly, but my 2002 Cavalier does have a block heater on it, but I don't know where the cable is. The car came equipped with a block heater with a very long cable, and it kept bumping and banging around the front/bottom of the car, so my wife and I 'tucked it into the front of the car' in a way I don't remember - I think its under the front engine bay trim and behind the headlights!

Anyway, with a whipping 50km wind last night and blowing snow, I couldn't be bothered trying to find it in the dark, so I left the car unplugged last night. Went to start the car this morning, and the engine cranked, very, very slowly 3-4 times, and then the engine didn't so much start as it 'shuddered' to life. It settled into a fast idle after about 20 seconds, without too much whining or clanking. Engine has Motomaster 'Formula 1' 5W-30 dino oil in it (re-labeled Formula Shell), so I guess it did okay overall.

Still, it was a very, very hard start, so I think I'm going to have to re-evaluate my defense of dino oil right down to the cranking viscosity - if possible, people should use block heaters or synthetic oil in those temps. That can't be good for an engine on an on-going basis......

I used an oilpan heater during my years in Wyoming. Between that and the electric battery blanket, the cars barely noticed it was -20 outside....when I remembered to plug them in. :) Castrol 10W-30 year-round worked fine, but on the mornings they didn't get plugged in, they did shudder to life. I specifically remember the shifters feeling like an oar in a bucket of molasses. Fun times!

It was a bit chilly this morning near Peterborough too! -27 on my thermometer. I have 5W30 motomaster synthetic and a block heater in my 95 Neon and it started pretty much like a normal day. Find your block heater cord and the dino oil will be fine.
Ian

I have PP 5w30 in my engine with a cleaning dose of ARX, and it has been sitting in the cold since 7pm last night. The mercury is reading -22oC here (Near Hamilton), I forgot to plug in my Oil pan heater last night and have to leave shortly... I'm sure the car will start fine with Synthetic but I'm sure it's gonna be a bit noisy due to cold temperatures...

Will post tonight on what it was like!
LOL.gif

The Quaker State Winter blend has great cold start specs, can be had a CDN tire. It should be on sale pretty soon if the pattern i have seen is correct. I'd ask your wife where exactly the cord is and get it. Plugging in helps so much with start ups as well as warm up time, resulting in better fuel economy as well. 2-3 hours in advance does the trick.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

In this cold flow demonstration they used a full synthetic versus a blended oil. I wonder how long it would take for a pure dino oil to come out at these temps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKtxqf5OFTU

I agree with a guy's comments there on youtube:
"Well, if I lived in a region that saw -40 regularly, I wouldn't want either oil! While the M1 did indeed pour, it reminded me more of tree sap than motor oil. IMO, it would take quite a while for fluid that thick to circulate throughout the engine. How testing some of the 0w-x oils at the same temp?"

Is there a test of 0w-20 oils at -40? THAT would be interesting.

The bad part is the time it takes for the oil to get from the pan to the pump because there is no oil going to the engine parts till then. . Once the oil reaches the pump things will be better. Though the importance of the proper viscosity oil for the expected temps is most important.

It is going to br around 75*f today in N.Calif today!!!But then the ranfall hasn't been so good .Shasta Lake looks like the Grand Canyon.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Had a bitter, northern cold front move into the Ottawa, Ontario area last night. It was -1C driving home last night, but by 7pm, the wind picked up, and the temp dropped to a reported air temp between -24C and -26C, with windchills around -39C...ouch!

This is going to sound silly, but my 2002 Cavalier does have a block heater on it, but I don't know where the cable is. The car came equipped with a block heater with a very long cable, and it kept bumping and banging around the front/bottom of the car, so my wife and I 'tucked it into the front of the car' in a way I don't remember - I think its under the front engine bay trim and behind the headlights!

Anyway, with a whipping 50km wind last night and blowing snow, I couldn't be bothered trying to find it in the dark, so I left the car unplugged last night. Went to start the car this morning, and the engine cranked, very, very slowly 3-4 times, and then the engine didn't so much start as it 'shuddered' to life. It settled into a fast idle after about 20 seconds, without too much whining or clanking. Engine has Motomaster 'Formula 1' 5W-30 dino oil in it (re-labeled Formula Shell), so I guess it did okay overall.

Still, it was a very, very hard start, so I think I'm going to have to re-evaluate my defense of dino oil right down to the cranking viscosity - if possible, people should use block heaters or synthetic oil in those temps. That can't be good for an engine on an on-going basis......

How old is your battery? OEM? I bet a fresh battery would make a big difference.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

In this cold flow demonstration they used a full synthetic versus a blended oil. I wonder how long it would take for a pure dino oil to come out at these temps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKtxqf5OFTU

When it's cold outside, full synthetic is the oil of choice.

My Jeep starts better than that in -30F weather.

Battery on the car isn't that old at all - maybe 3 years, tops. I'm going to have to figure out the block heater cable - need this car to last, so I need to start making things 'easier' on it, and stop 'testing it' to see what happens in certain situations....

Of the oils I've run in the winter, the M1 0w20 offered the easiest starting in my 302's. Close 2nd was M1 0w40.

got amsoil asl 5w30 in my prelude, no difference in startup...I do have a pretty sweet interstate battery in the car...

-21 for me, but my cars are garaged.... but right now at work it is sitting outside and I just started it up for lunch and no issues as well....

Although rest of the car was creaking like a mofo.....

Last edited:
-28c here in ste-therese (north of montreal), I started the car and after the 3rd crank, it started right up. You should have ear the sounds coming from under the hood! Everything was frozen but it did start like a champion. 5w30 mobil 1 that I use.

But, yes, there's a but, its the first time that my car did a little puff of blue smoke on the first startup, I think its normal because it is very cold outside and never happen again but just to make sure, is it normal?

My parents had an 04 wrangler and that VW cranked 500x faster than that would in the cold. If it was below 0 out it would take like a second to turn over once, then slooowly it would speed up enough for the engine to cough to life.

That oil test makes me worry about my taurus in the cold. When I start that up, Ford's stupid programming has it rev right up to 1700RPM. When it's -20F here (frequently), I'm sure there's no oil getting anywhere.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Come now, from Canada and you think -26C / -15F is cold?!?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have PP 5w30 in my engine with a cleaning dose of ARX, and it has been sitting in the cold since 7pm last night. The mercury is reading -22oC here (Near Hamilton), I forgot to plug in my Oil pan heater last night and have to leave shortly... I'm sure the car will start fine with Synthetic but I'm sure it's gonna be a bit noisy due to cold temperatures...

Will post tonight on what it was like!
LOL.gif

Car start right up this morning, with only a bit of lifter ticking in the first 2-3 seconds then it was quiet. Not hard to crank over at all...

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Car start right up this morning, with only a bit of lifter ticking in the first 2-3 seconds then it was quiet. Not hard to crank over at all...

Same here @ -25C this morning.

Thanks to the new battery + 5W30 PP.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back