250w gear oil in brush hog

Mine takes 00 grease, gear drive tiller does as well. That stuff does turn into a thick liquid once it gets heated up.

Mine leaked all the oil over the winter a couple of years ago. I bought a replacement seal but as a temporary measure I filled it to the top of the gears with 00 grease. I may never get around to replacing the seal because the grease seems to be doing a fine job. I’ve been told King Kutter is shipping them with grease instead of oil now, but I don’t know that as a fact.

Why not? At this point I believe most of the gear lube reservoirs on my tractor and implements have been filled with Morey’s Oil Stabilizer as it’s thick enough to not leak out and I inherited a bunch of it.

I am on tractorbynet a bit and I've never heard of anyone actually wearing out a gearbox? Usually they break an input or output shaft or a gear in the first decade, or lose a seal and then people pump them full of corn head grease and carry on.
I got a chinese one and changed the oil to 85W140 and its been good for a decade now, and have broken a half dozen sheer pins, and even loaned it to my neighbor, and they tried to kill it but only bent the blades a little...
This is good to know. I have seen some very old rotary cutters still in operation, so I guess I may just be over-thinking this. Thank you!

Why not? At this point I believe most of the gear lube reservoirs on my tractor and implements have been filled with Morey’s Oil Stabilizer as it’s thick enough to not leak out and I inherited a bunch of it.
I am actually using Lucas hub oil, which is a 250w gear oil. Seems to be working fine!

I am actually using Lucas hub oil, which is a 250w gear oil. Seems to be working fine!
My main concern would be long term and/ or unnecessary stress on the seals. Say it heats up and expands too fast or is simply too thick and the breather can’t keep up. I don’t know…

I’m guessing the manual wants some sort of 90 weight. Make sure your slip clutch is working and you shouldn’t have too much strain on the gearbox.

This is good to know. I have seen some very old rotary cutters still in operation, so I guess I may just be over-thinking this. Thank you!
Use what is recommended or higher and the gear box will last or it won't . Changing the oil is the best thing that can be done.

Whenever I changed out the 90wt that all of mine have came with I used 85-140 and never had a issue.

The 00 grease has been in mine for three seasons now with no apparent issues. I can comfortably touch the gearbox after an hour of mowing heavy grass.

We use 75w110 in ours....Thicker may actually Contribute to higher gearbox temps....Regardless I have not heard of a gearbox issue on "brush hogs" with any of the farmers I know. As was said above many are just plain broken by hitting a rock, etc. rather than wearing out due to use.

Back