250w gear oil in brush hog

Any thoughts on running a 250 weight gear oil in a brush hog? It gets so extremely hot here in Oklahoma, and I am wanting something that won’t thin out so much. This is a low HP, low speed application. A heavier oil will also protect better under shock- loading, which is common in brush hogging. Amsoil makes a 250w synthetic. Thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1185.jpeg
    IMG_1185.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 35
I would consider Mobil 1 Delvac 50…

That gearbox may have yellow metals in it…

Either that or Cat Final Drive 50…

I would consider Mobil 1 Delvac 50…

That gearbox may have yellow metals in it…

Either that or Cat Final Drive 50…

50w transmission fluids don’t typically contain extreme pressure additives, which are required for hypoid gears such as a brush hog gear box. I read the specs, looks like the Mobil does. Also, I have never seen yellow metals in a brush hog. The manufacturer calls for a GL5 fluid. The spec sheet on the Mobil says not for use in hypoid gears. Thanks for the input though!

Is it a brush hog or a Bush Hog? Model, maker, year, etc?

Do you know something the maker doesn't?
“ Bush Hog” is a brand name. “Brush hog” is the term most commonly used when referring to rotary cutters. I used the term because nearly everyone knows what that is.
I have 3. One is a Woods RC5. It’s about 5 years old. One is a a frontier RC 2084. Also about 5 years old. I don’t know much about the third except that it’s a 5’ model. I’m sure I don’t know more than the manufacturer. However, equipment manufacturers often spec thinner oil viscosities to reduce drag and increase fuel efficiency. I don’t care about fuel efficiency. I have hired help that is not always as careful as I would be about what they mow over, so I want a thicker oil that provides better shock loading protection, especially in the extreme Oklahoma heat.

Last edited:
Corn head grease is great if the seals won't hold gear oil. I would guess bad seals letting out the lube is a common reason for brush hog gear sets to get smoked or worn out.

I thought I saw some full synthetic Royal Purple 85w-140 on the shelf at my local auto parts store. I would probably just use that.

Corn head grease is great if the seals won't hold gear oil. I would guess bad seals letting out the lube is a common reason for brush hog gear sets to get smoked or worn out.

I thought I saw some full synthetic Royal Purple 85w-140 on the shelf at my local auto parts store. I would probably just use that.
Seals don’t leak. Extreme oklahoma heat thinning the oil, and shock-loading are my biggest concerns. Thanks for the input!

What is the gear oil temperature. A higher viscosity oil or a grease will tend to drive temperture up due to fluid friction so the benefit of a heavier film may not be lost.

The JD Corn Head Grease is an NLGI 0 polyurea. But a critical factor in gear lubrication is viscosity. What is the base oil viscosity of the grease? One thing to remember is that grease does not transfer heat as well as oil and thick oiol not as well as thinner oil so the case may run considerably hotter.

What is the gear oil temperature. A higher viscosity oil or a grease will tend to drive temperture up due to fluid friction so the benefit of a heavier film may not be lost.

The JD Corn Head Grease is an NLGI 0 polyurea. But a critical factor in gear lubrication is viscosity. What is the base oil viscosity of the grease? One thing to remember is that grease does not transfer heat as well as oil and thick oiol not as well as thinner oil so the case may run considerably hotter.
That I don’t know. I do have a temp laser. I will find out next time I’m mowing. Ambient temps here are often 100 plus. That’s one reason I’m thinking of a thicker oil. Redline makes an 80w250, and Amsoil has a 250w as well. Both synthetic.

I am on tractorbynet a bit and I've never heard of anyone actually wearing out a gearbox? Usually they break an input or output shaft or a gear in the first decade, or lose a seal and then people pump them full of corn head grease and carry on.
I got a chinese one and changed the oil to 85W140 and its been good for a decade now, and have broken a half dozen sheer pins, and even loaned it to my neighbor, and they tried to kill it but only bent the blades a little...

Any lube from this list in a 140 grade would suffice well.

Any lube from this list in a 140 grade would suffice well.
Quite a list. Thank you!

Reactions: JMK
Back