24F vs 34R (I need a new battery)

So the Duralast 24F in my Camry seems like it's on its way out
It's a free replacement replacement, so no more free warranty, and the pro rate is a joke
I've been thinking about making the switch to AGM
I'm tired of batteries not making 18-24 months
Or I get the odd trooper that makes it to month 37, right after free replacement
Advance by me started the switch to DieHard, no more Autocraft batteries
Are these the same Diehards Sears used to sell, or just a relabel?
I can get a 24F DieHard AGM for about $170 OTD
I can get a 24F Duralast AGM for about $170 +/- $20
Oddly, I checked Interstates website, and they claim the cold weather option for my car would be 34R vs the standard 24F/35
It seems a little shorter (a spacer is available), but it puts out more CCA (800) vs 750/710
I also prefer the straight up 4 year replacement warranty
I've got a local Interstate dealer, gonna ask him for a quote on a MTZ-34R
I don't get how the physically smaller 34R can put out more CCA than the larger 24F like for like (AGM)

Anyone have any experience with any of these makes?

There's been so many rebrands lately that I can't keep up with who makes what

I've always used Group 24F in place of Group 35 but have not used Group 34R. However, I like batteries with "removal tops" so I can monitor the acid level and add distilled water when I wish. Plus, I keep my batteries on a "maintainer" which ususlly makes'em last waaaaaay longer.

Generally the Group 24F has more CCAs than the smaller batteries(for the $ame money).
As far as using a AGM, can your alternator keep the AGM charged properly? I'd find out first before plunking down money on an AGM

I wound up with a Duralast AGM 24F
$183 OTD, with a fresh free replacement warranty
The top is shaped kinda weird, so the Toyota hold down doesn't quite grab it square, but a little finagling got it in tight without stressing the case
Made in Mexico, only last month
18 month old Gold tested bad, suspect an internal short, yet the voltage was spot on?
My new 150 amp alternator will be here for the weekend
Will it start for me tomorrow morning, let's see

I wound up with a Duralast AGM 24F
$183 OTD, with a fresh free replacement warranty
The top is shaped kinda weird, so the Toyota hold down doesn't quite grab it square, but a little finagling got it in tight without stressing the case
Made in Mexico, only last month
18 month old Gold tested bad, suspect an internal short, yet the voltage was spot on?
My new 150 amp alternator will be here for the weekend
Will it start for me tomorrow morning, let's see

Well you did good.

No bueno how the other battery was bad so soon. Though the alternator not being up to par probably was not helpful to it at all.

Those prices are sky high! Do you have a battery mart near by? They sell a flooded Deka for $62 and a Deka intimidator agm for $119
Lead costs more these days
The cheapest POS "Econocraft" in the store is $79
Gold is $140-$180
Add 8% sales tax, and a battery is an expensive proposition
I might've been able to run over to New Jersey for a Wal Mart Everstart, but that doesn't help me at 9pm when it dies and needs exchanged
Even saving $30 isn't really worth it once you factor in tolls and time
There's an AutoZone not 10 minutes from both home and work, and they usually stay open till 10

Auto parts store batteries are pretty much $125-175 for the "premium" line with AGMs being $150-250, in my experience.

Very true Hall...

The cheapest non Walmart battery is from Federated Auto parts... The have a 3 yr free replacement warranty East Penn group 24f aka their gold mid tier battery that weighs 41 pounds and has 650 CCA and 115 minutes of reserve capacity that is $120+ tax.

I got a 2 yr free replacement warranty East Penn group 24f for $89+ tax last year. It is the 524fmf battery from East Penn. Weighs 37 pounds and has 550 CCA and reserve capacity of 90 minutes.

Walmart's batteries have worked fine for me. The one in the wife's car is 3 or 4 years old.

OP, are you doing lots of short trips or something? I do nada for battery maintenance but mine go years. Maybe you need to trickle yours on the weekends?

You live where it's cold, which batteries love. If you aren't getting long life, you've got some sort of electrical problem with the car, likely something minor.

Not so sure about that. Cold weather is often the nail in the coffin for batteries, in my opinion.
I always see posts from people back East that have batteries that are 8, 9, or 10 years old. That'll never happen in the desert. We're lucky to get 3 years out of a battery.

I always see posts from people back East that have batteries that are 8, 9, or 10 years old. That'll never happen in the desert. We're lucky to get 3 years out of a battery.
I'd say 4-5 years is typical for a decent quality battery around here. We do get sub-zero temperatures and can have that for a week or two. I would normally argue that inanimate objects can't "feel" wind chill but I can tell from personal experience from days I park at work facing open areas (i.e. more wind), my car would groan and crank slowly, but start. The next day, same conditions, I'd back into parking spot and had a building shielding the car and it would start (almost) normally. By almost, the cold still had an impact.

Update.
I got that new 150 amp TYC alternator in, nice new belt tensioned right, polished every connection and terminal, not a spec of corrosion
It's charging 13.9 at idle, highest I've ever seen on this car
Test drive it, all seems well, no interference on the radio
Leave my fancy battery charger on it overnight on the AGM setting to trickle charge the new battery full
Go to drive it today, all excited
No charging 🤬
Get the multimeter out, checking fuses and connections, I've got 12v on all 3 pins at the connector, good voltage at the negative lug
...this POS alternator didn't last 12 hours 😡
...or did the charger kill it?
Is that a possibility?
I'm ordering a Denso reman this time, last time I buy TYC 👎
Now I get to change it TWO more times, because I need to get to work tomorrow

I swapped in my factory unit that's been sitting outside for a few years
Other than being a little noisy, it charges ok
Under load at idle is where it struggles
Screenshot_20200913-190613.png

We'll see next week when the Denso reman arrives

I didn't know TYC was THAT bad, but Jesus sub 24 hour lifespan is atrocious

Last time I try to save minimal money 💰

I thought new vs reman would be better (given my bad luck with Reman Cardone/Dorman anything

I'd hope Denso has the better reputation

I'm still suspicious if it was the battery charger

Is that a thing where you can't charge AGM batteries in car still connected?

I need to study what the AGM or Gel mode does vs standard mode

Or is this purely coincidental?

I had a reman alternator go bad in.... 12 miles....

AGM mode charges at a higher voltage vs flooded regular mode charging....

I believe you got a bad reman alternator... Just like I did....

No charger problem in all likelihood.

Well the Denso reman unit arrived
Looked and felt a quality piece compared to the new TYC until...
PXL_20200919_235120317.jpg

I found a cracked electrical connector (IMO due to improper packing)
Small item in big box = too much bouncing around
They told me to discard it and they'll send another one
We'll see when that one arrives:confused:

Back