23 Wrangler 4xe Pennzoil 5w-30 4k miles

This is on our 23 Wrangler 4xe. It only has 8k miles on it and we purchased it used with 4k on it back in December. The oil was changed when we purchased it and the dealer uses Pennzoil. I shouldn't have waited another 4k but didn't think it would be this bad. It is used around town mostly and on electric. Love it. Went 8 weeks before we had to fill up the first time. It has taken trips up the interstate 80 miles up and back and one 140 miles up and back. When on the interstate the engine is used. All electric it seems is just when under 50mph it seems, like in town. We can go 20 miles on electric for the most part. The engine does crank up and high idles at 1,800 for about 30 seconds it seems when it does start and then shuts down. I went back with AMSOIL's Signature Series 5w-30 and Ea15k50 filter since I had one on hand. Debating on going another 4k and sampling or sample at 2k to see how it goes. This has the 2.0 turbo engine. Holds 5qts.

4xe oil sample.jpg

This is on our 23 Wrangler 4xe. It only has 8k miles on it and we purchased it used with 4k on it back in December. The oil was changed when we purchased it and the dealer uses Pennzoil. I shouldn't have waited another 4k but didn't think it would be this bad. It is used around town mostly and on electric. Love it. Went 8 weeks before we had to fill up the first time. It has taken trips up the interstate 80 miles up and back and one 140 miles up and back. When on the interstate the engine is used. All electric it seems is just when under 50mph it seems, like in town. We can go 20 miles on electric for the most part. The engine does crank up and high idles at 1,800 for about 30 seconds it seems when it does start and then shuts down. I went back with AMSOIL's Signature Series 5w-30 and Ea15k50 filter since I had one on hand. Debating on going another 4k and sampling or sample at 2k to see how it goes. This has the 2.0 turbo engine. Holds 5qts.

.View attachment 225587
Is this a GDI engine, I wonder why there is fuel dilution? GDI engine dont have issues with fuel dilution, that is a myth............or not.

.View attachment 225587
It's simply break in wear.

My last PHEV(2018 Mitsubishi Outlander) was diluting oil pretty bad too. If I’m not mistaken it had DI engine. I also had 2014 Chevy Volt before that, I think that one had port injected engine and was showing ok oil analysis results for 8-12k OCIs I did(manual calls 2years or 15k miles). I did 5k OCIs on Mitsubishi(manual called for 7.5k or 6 month, I went by time, which was 2-5.5k miles) . Now I have Sienna Hybrid which is dual injection, direct and port. I think I will stick to 5k OCIs on that one too(annual or 10k per manual). Enjoy you phev (remember Always Be Charging rule), try cheap syn oil vs Amsoil analysis, to see if it makes any diff and if it’s worth pays extra $$ for Amsoil with short OCI.

.View attachment 225587
The elevated silicon, copper and iron are easily explained by the low miles. The engine is still breaking in. The fuel dilution is pretty nasty and something to keep an eye on, but honestly with that much fuel I expected the viscosity to be even lower.

If you can sample at 2k without draining, that would be ideal. I'd hate to dump Amsoil so early. Otherwise, I'd keep it in another 4k and sample. Mainly to verify the iron, copper and silicon are dropping as they should and to see if the fuel dilution changes at all.

I can pull a sample from the dipstick, that is if it will fit down the tube. Some models don't allow the plastic tube to go all the way down.

Time to change it & bump up to 40 grade. Fuel is high, viscosity is below a 30 grade, & Si is almost loaded up.

If it’s a new Jeep, doesn’t it take 0W-20??
This looks like PP 0W-20, not PYB 5W-30. AFAIK, no new Jeep specs 5W-30…

These are V.O.A.s' for the 5w-30 PENNZOIL oils . They're from P.F. at Y.T..

IMG_3910.JPG
IMG_3911.JPG
IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

Last edited:
This wouldn't have been that abnormal back in the day of mainly group II oils, it was normal to see 5w30s to shear down below 9cst after usage. Fuel dilution is high, but overall I don't think it's that bad, it's a fairly new engine.

Back