.22LR Pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine won a Sig P238. Funny part is, she already has a P238 SAS! So, she wants to sell it and get something else - probably a .22LR pistol. She likes the Buckmark, and I know at least one of y'all has a Buckmark (billt460).

I told her I was going to post up here about it and she will be looking in on this thread. Heck, maybe I can even get her to register on BITOG! I posted it in hopes of getting more information that she can refer to as she looks for a new gun.

Right now she's looked at the Buckmark, obviously, as well as the Ruger Mark IV.

One thing we were wondering about, looking at the Buckmarks, is the differences between the Buckmark models. One of them (the Buck Mark Plus Rosewood UDX) comes with a half-1913 rail, while the other one she's looking at (Buck Mark Field Target) comes with a full-length 1913 rail. So, what would the advantage be, in having a full-length rail?

Also, what are y'all's opinions on the comparison between the Ruger and the Browning? Anybody have the Mark IV?

And who makes the Browning? Is it actually Browning? I know my Hi Power was actually made by FNH in Belgium (assembled in Portugal since it was made only a few years ago (2014).

I'll take a Buckmark over a Ruger all day long and twice on Sunday. I have two Buckmarks and they shoot exceptionally well and are very reliable.

The full length rail would afford mounting either a scope (which due to length would need a lot of rail) or you could put a red dot further out. Found a pic below of what I mean.

wm_9460633.jpg

If going with Ruger, Mark IV is the only one I'd buy as it improves a lot of the old design flaws.

You can't go wrong with either gun. For what it's worth, I have always had better luck shooting 22LR pistols with high velocity ammo. CCI Stingers and Minimags are good picks. Makes them boom a little more and improves cycling.

For when you have to clean all that unburnt powder out of the action (which happens when shooting 22LR with a short barrel), I have had good luck using odorless mineral spirits to rinse it out.

I have a Buck Mark Camper, and a Ruger LCR .22.
The Buck Mark is great for target practice, but it doesn't like cheap ammo. I love the trigger and the overall ergonomics. It is a pleasure to shoot. There are lots of Buck Mark models, and lots of aftermarket options.
The LCR is good for keeping in my pocket and shooting things within arm's reach. It never fails, though. Revolvers are ideal for reliable rimfire shooting.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
The full length rail would afford mounting either a scope (which due to length would need a lot of rail) or you could put a red dot further out. Found a pic below of what I mean.

wm_9460633.jpg

If going with Ruger, Mark IV is the only one I'd buy as it improves a lot of the old design flaws.

You can't go wrong with either gun. For what it's worth, I have always had better luck shooting 22LR pistols with high velocity ammo. CCI Stingers and Minimags are good picks. Makes them boom a little more and improves cycling.

For when you have to clean all that unburnt powder out of the action (which happens when shooting 22LR with a short barrel), I have had good luck using odorless mineral spirits to rinse it out.

Awesome looking Buckmark! Thanks for sharing.

So, with the Buck Mark Plus Rosewood UDX model (I'll post link below), could she still mount a red dot if she wanted to, with only the half rail? Why would you want only a half rail vs. a full rail?

http://www.browning.com/products/firearm...sewood-udx.html

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
The Buck Mark is great for target practice, but it doesn't like cheap ammo. I love the trigger and the overall ergonomics. It is a pleasure to shoot. There are lots of Buck Mark models, and lots of aftermarket options.
The LCR is good for keeping in my pocket and shooting things within arm's reach. It never fails, though. Revolvers are ideal for reliable rimfire shooting.

I'm partial to the S&W 617! I'd actually like to trade my 686 for one. Also heard good things about Ruger's new 10-shot revolver.

Well I would go Browning if you want a stock pistol, and if you want something with a metric butt ton of aftermarket support the Ruger is the way to go. Other decent options are the S&W 22 Victory and if you want a tactical like pistol the Beretta 92 22lr pistol and the S&W M&P22 both offer higher capacities and more closely mimic a duty sized gun.

And yes if I recall Browning is actually the maker of the Buckmark. It can be thought of as a modern and economical pistol based on the older Challenger series of pistols.

I have a Ruger 22/45 and I like it, my friend has a nice Buckmark and While I won't sell the Ruger . If I were in the market today today I would get the Buckmark as the trigger is nicer and the grips are nicer and it is "nicer"

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

I'm partial to the S&W 617! I'd actually like to trade my 686 for one. Also heard good things about Ruger's new 10-shot revolver.

I was going to say, what about a 617? Only issue with the 617 6" is that it is full underlug which is nose heavy. I think the GP100 is partial, and yet is also 10 shot. Only question is if the ruger fit and finish is as nice as a smith.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I'll take a Buckmark over a Ruger all day long and twice on Sunday. I have two Buckmarks and they shoot exceptionally well and are very reliable.

Yep, I do love the Buckmark!

But I also love the Ruger Single Six.

My every day around the ranch beater?
Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 revolver.
RR22MB4-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

wm_9460633.jpg

Awesome looking Buckmark! Thanks for sharing.

So, with the Buck Mark Plus Rosewood UDX model (I'll post link below), could she still mount a red dot if she wanted to, with only the half rail? Why would you want only a half rail vs. a full rail?

http://www.browning.com/products/firearm...sewood-udx.html

The half rail should be fine to mount a red dot. It may even be enough to mount a full length scope, but it would have to be in a cantilevered mount... which would be overkill due to the weight.

Frankly the only reason I would need a full rail would be for a traditional scoped pistol setup or if I wanted a very tactical looking gun. The half rail you linked to is more than enough for 99% of a recreational shooter's needs.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I was going to say, what about a 617? Only issue with the 617 6" is that it is full underlug which is nose heavy. I think the GP100 is partial, and yet is also 10 shot. Only question is if the ruger fit and finish is as nice as a smith.

If you want a smaller 22, the SP101 is an 8 shot 22, which is still pretty good.

I have a few of each. In the Browning Buckmark's: a Camper UFX, and a Hunter. (Both in the same photo). A Challenge Rosewood, and a Buckmark Plus UDX. In the Ruger Mark Series: 2 Mark II's. (A Bill Ruger Commemorative Standard, and a Mark II Competition Target, with scope). A Mark III Hunter, and 2 Mark IV's, ( A Bill Ruger 100th Year Competition, and a Mark IV Hunter).

It's tough to choose, which is why I have so many. Like any platform, both have their plusses and minuses. For aftermarket items and grips, I would have to give a slight advantage to Ruger. But Browning has a much better selection of aftermarket barrels. And they are easy to change out. For grips the advantage goes to Ruger with several available from different manufacturers. Browning Buckmark grips are very model specific, and do not interchange easily from model to model. They also require different size screw head diameters and lengths. It can become an adventure changing them out being sure you have purchased the right one's for your model Buckmark pistol.

For accuracy, both are better than most people can hold and shoot. But off a rest the Ruger might hold a slight advantage, depending on the model. My Mark II Competition is as accurate as any .22 rifle I own while shooting off a solid rest. The target I've shown at the bottom was from the Mark II Competition after I installed the Tasco Scope you see in the photo. And believe me I didn't spend like a drunken sailor on it. It was very reasonable. But it delivers ragged one hole groups at 25 yards for as long as I want to sit and squeeze.

For cleaning and maintenance both are about the same. With that said everyone knows what a bear the Ruger Mark II's and III's are to disassemble and reassemble. Which is why I don't do it. I wash them out with clean Kerosene, and blow them dry. It cleans them excellently without going through all the aggravation.

The Ruger Mark IV's are a breeze to disassemble and clean. And they go back together just as easily. Ruger hit it out of the park with the Mark IV design. If he were alive, Bill Ruger would be proud of his design team on this gun. They simply could not have done it better. I haven't scoped either of my Mark IV's as of yet. But I'm quite sure when I do, the accuracy they deliver will not disappoint.

I really would have a tough time choosing only one of these guns. Both the Browning and the Ruger are excellent .22 semi auto pistols. Fortunately they are both affordable enough, that having at least one of each is not out of the question for most shooters. And I've found most guys I run into at the range who like rimfire pistols, have at least one of each.

BROWNING BUCKMARK

RUGER MARK II, MARK III, MARK IV

Originally Posted By: Slick17601

I only have one and it is one of my favorites. Sexy, handsome, reliable, accurate, big barrel, super quality. You know how some pistols just feel solid in your hand and while shooting? Well, this is one of those. The only one I like better is my Kimber .45

i had some 22 handguns come and go at various times before the great boating accident: ruger single six, ruger sr22, ruger lcr, ruger mark3 (with majestic speed strip kit), heritage roughrider, s&w317, berreta neos, naa mini, h&r 9shot, taurus 94, taurus pt22, berreta 21.

if i had to recommend just one brand it would be ruger. of the rugers probably an sr22 is first for its ease of shooting, loading mags, fieldstripping, and overall handiness and reliability. in second place is a ruger single six (or heritage roughrider for persons on a tight budget) single action revolver, which is an essential plinker, learner, teacher, with the added bonus of 22wmr for more oomph. all that said, the new 3” ruger lcr-x is intriguing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back