20W50 in a Ford 4.6 3V Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your weather allows for the use of SAE40. Use whatever API/ACEA and be happy.

Australians have been running 20/50 in those engines since the first one hit the scene. No reports of failures or misbehaviour due to the oil.

I'm betting nobody else in your area has suffered engine problems running the local weights.

Wow, many more replies than I had expected in such short time, great! From the consensus it appears 20W50 is OK.

Tomorrow morning I plan on going to the Ford agency to find out what their reasoning and explanation is behind using that particular grade vs 15W40 as they are the ones changing it.

I'm curious about oil pressure also but with lack of OBD sensors via my Blue Driver scanner and physcial gauges it's a total mystery. I'm not exactly sure how much performance is lost overall either.

I can definitely say that it runs smooth without ticks or abnormal pings/rattling sounds, even from a fresh start after atleast 24 hours. By the way when I said Cold, I meant as a fresh start after a long period.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I do prefer 15W-40 over 20W-50 in general because a lot of the 20W-50 oils here have older specs e.g. API SG to SL. Most of the 15W-40 oils I see are API SN rated, which is a better oil.

Just to clarify this for my region, looking at a quart of 20W50 I use in my older Hyundai, it reads out API SN as standard sold by Total oil company. Shocking, lol.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

A few Years back we rebuilt a couple of engines from a Trooper barracks that used 20w50 in the winter and had oil filters blowing up.

Wow, do those engines not have oil pressure by pass valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back