205/55r16 for a car that doesn't do much mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id buy (American made) Cooper over the RT43 from who knows where. Ive been very pleased with my CS-series cooper tires on multiple cars.

My vote is for the Cooper Evolution Touring. This tire is essentially the old CS3 Touring. It gives a fine ride for the money. I had a set of the CS3s that replaced a set of 4 month old RT43s that could not be balanced.

If in a climate with snow, get the RT43s. Evolution tours seem pretty similar to CS5s, where they put the emphasis on wet traction vs. snow traction.

^ I'll go the opposite route, that it's penny wise but pound foolish to buy a set of 4 used tires unless you're soon to sell or scrap it.

They may have abnormal wear. They may be half way through their use-by date. They may have sat around oxidizing the sidewalls because not driven on in a while.

You're (probably) paying for a new alignment and mounting/balancing every time you put tires on, so the cost to years use ratio is often no better for used tires unless the new alternative was something "sportier"/premium than it needed to be, raising the comparison cost.

In other words you can just about drop down a sport level on new tires when comparing performance to older used tires, and with used, you may not have much pick what you end up with that is a good combination of type, age, wear, etc. unless you spend a lot of time on it, a lot of time that has value, vs # of years use before replacement again. New tires just aren't that much of a cost increase as a % of TCO for a vehicle.

As far as which new tires to pick, there are so many options because there are so many different priorities people have. If the current tires are cracking with tread still on them, one thing that doesn't seem important is to get a high mileage rated touring tire, that their primary strength is overcome by their aging from low miles per year, except that many are also low rolling resistance to eek out slightly higher fuel economy, but if not many miles are put on a year, not as much fuel savings.

Last edited:
You may want to do as I did and replace with size 205/60/16 since these vehicles tend to have a harsh ride.

Originally Posted by Cressida
You may want to do as I did and replace with size 205/60/16 since these vehicles tend to have a harsh ride.

I noticed VW did that. The 2017 MY has 55s and the 19MY has 60s. 55s are pretty harsh. I'll go up a size next time.

Our 225/60-17 RT43s were made in the USA. Tire Rack lists the 205/60-16 as being made in Mexico.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back