2024 Silverado EV W/T - 450 miles EPA range

"...taking orders with refundable $100 reservations on its consumer site, which also lists the WT's starting price at $41,595."

Not bad at all.

According to make use of which is quite info and they tend to dig "

3 Reasons 800v Architecture Is the Future of EVs"​

Lexus engineer volt system done, electric is the future
From Greencarreports
"One significant development that can help significantly improve charging time is the introduction of 800-volt electrical systems, which will supplant and may eventually replace the more common 400- and 450-volt systems used in most EVs. 800-volt systems bring with them a wide variety of benefits, including lower weight, higher thermal efficiency, and potentially greater range – but their biggest benefit is arguably significantly faster public charging.".

So far thats all marketing hype and not real world reality.

The 800 volt cars simply dont beat the 400 volt cars either in efficiency or charging speed.

So far thats all marketing hype and not real world reality.

The 800 volt cars simply dont beat the 400 volt cars either in efficiency or charging speed.

Not yet, but there's got to be some benefit somewhere as more companies develop it. 800V can use much lower gauge wire because can lower amperage to do the same amount of work which means less heat. Smaller gauge wire equals less weight too. The motors and battery don't heatsoak as quick to deliver the same amount of power. That's huge.

Not yet, but there's got to be some benefit somewhere as more companies develop it. 800V can use much lower gauge wire because can lower amperage to do the same amount of work which means less heat. Smaller gauge wire equals less weight too. The motors and battery don't heatsoak as quick to deliver the same amount of power. That's huge.

Im aware of all the ways it should be better, and at some point it will, but until the metrics show some benefit I wont bother to seek out an 800V car or worry about it.

It does seem the one area greater voltage will take you backwards is in home charging efficiency.

The further you move away from your 110/240 toward 400 and onto 800 the harder it gets for the home charger to do its job without producing ripple.

Last edited:
Actually I forsee more companies jumping on the 800v three-phase charging architecture. This is much faster than Teslas supercharger can charge. Tesla had a huge lead but the dingbat in charge is letting that slip away. Oh and Tesla was 6 weeks from bankruptcy extremely close. The 800v architecture is letting Porsche and other manufacturers charge much quicker than Tesla. This was three years ago. I forsee at some point Tesla will have to jump on the 800v architecture or be left behind.
How many homes have 3 phase?

Considering that all cars have on board power conversion and no one fast charges at home I’m feeling it’s safe to assume no one needs 3 phase in their house to operate a 800V car. There’s plenty that exist.

Sounds like Ultium battery production has finally started for real. Maybe.

Ultium Cells said they passed 10,000,000 cells produced back in July. Sounds like the problem
has been an automation supplier that makes the machine that assembles the modules. They’ve been making the modules (very slowly) by-hand until the machinery gets delivered. They better get that sorted soon…

Where are these 800V battery’s manufactured ?

Warren Ohio currently. The Spring Hill Tennessee and Lansing Michigan factories are under construction. The South Bend Indiana factory starts groundbreaking soon.

TFL just got a 4WT to test. $79k

They also have officially info on the 3WT. Smaller battery, $75k, but towing goes up to 12,500 lbs. and payload up to 1,750 lbs.

They also have officially info on the 3WT. Smaller battery, $75k, but towing goes up to 12,500 lbs. and payload up to 1,750 lbs.

It'll be interesting to see what ADM will be.

Def more capable more capable than the lightning with about 200KWH vs what 130? It will be.

No NACS no interest but it's getting there.

Still holding my 04 titan.

IMG_2653.jpeg

Hopefully they can get a single motor, 300 mile range version into the $50k-$60k range?

Pretty amazing how quick GM is moving, from zero to really nice EV trucks. Other companies started years before GM
I suspect work truck first because business owners maybe buying these on company expenses. Just a wild guess

Pretty amazing how quick GM is moving, from zero to really nice EV trucks. Other companies started years before GM
I suspect work truck first because business owners maybe buying these on company expenses. Just a wild guess

My guess is also could be a good way to grab data and refine software before the consumer versions get out. Thats what they did with the LYRIQ. Cut people/businesses a deal, have them sign an NDA, then consider those vehicles additional test fleet trucks.

First real-world towing range test. This was a ~$79,000 4WT trim.

With a 6,500 lbs enclosed, flat-front trailer they went 232 miles with 15 miles still remaining. (247 miles theoretical range) Peak recharge rate was 366 kw. And the truck showed an estimated 475 mile range without a trailer.

Lightning did about 100 total miles with a larger, but lighter, camper.

IMG_2687.jpeg

With a 6,500 lbs enclosed, flat-front trailer they went 232 miles with 15 miles still remaining.

I drive long trips regularly and tow at least that much. I generally get 12-13MPG towing 7500 pounds with the 2.7L F150, 36 gallon tank. So, I can easily make it 400++ miles per tank when towing 7500 pounds. And over 650 very high speed miles per tank without towing.

The thing is, on trips, each subsequent charge will be 10% to 80%, or about 70% of the first leg. An honest 180 miles. And despite the claims, that's not good enough.

First real-world towing range test. This was a ~$79,000 4WT trim.

With a 6,500 lbs enclosed, flat-front trailer they went 232 miles with 15 miles still remaining. (247 miles theoretical range) Peak recharge rate was 366 kw. And the truck showed an estimated 475 mile range without a trailer.

Lightning did about 100 total miles with a larger, but lighter, camper.

View attachment 180081

That'll do it for a good chunk of guys.
Certainly not all, but a good chunk.

Back