2024 Silverado EV W/T - 450 miles EPA range

Official EPA range estimates now 450 miles for the W/T trim with the big battery. Initial estimates were around 400. Really shows how much aero and tires help range, compared to the Hummer EV (329 miles or 355 miles, depending on the tires).

F-150 Lightning is EPA rated at 320 miles with the extended range battery.

W/T comes out to fleet customers only in the next month or so.

Now the question is towing. Will this match a full size pickup towing range with a base fuel tank? I’m guessing yes. TFL tested a ‘19 Ram 1500 V8 4x4 and got about 216 miles towing range. With a 7,000 lbs enclosed trailer. F-150 and Silverado were similar.

Last edited:
Is that the new Avalanche?

2024-chevrolet-silverado-ev-rst-221-1641310315.jpg

It might get close in towing range. Maybe a hint below, but that's still well better than any other vehicle has done yet.

We'll see... It's easy to get range. Just use a bigger battery.

That might just be where GM's strategy begins to pay off.

Ford and Ram are both using legacy body-on-frame truck platforms and adapting them to EV duty. This is certainly the lower-cost option, but it also means they have to work in the confines of an existing platform that wasn't designed to be an EV. Adding more battery is like playing Tetris between two frame rails that weren't designed to hold a battery.

Silverado (Hummer EV and Sierra too) are on bespoke architecture that was designed from the outset to be an EV. The platform was designed around the battery, not the other way around. Of course, this is also how Rivian, Tesla, Lucid, etc. engineered their platforms and the direction legacy automakers are headed too. GM is the first there with a truck though.

@MrHorspwer Yeah, a pure play platform does not have to compromise, unlike a multi-use platform that is, by definition, all about compromise.
Many buyers do not know or care; people tend to be brand loyal. We have heard, "Wait till the big boys get in" ever since Tesla was no longer a flash in the pan. Of course before that, Tesla was going belly up and day now... Ha!

By the was, the downside of a bigger battery is cost, charge time, not to mention weight. Let's see how this thing performs.
I wish GM well with their EV ventures.

We'll see... It's easy to get range. Just use a bigger battery.

A bigger battery is very often a crutch for an inefficient drivetrain.

Starting out full its going to be nice - but then on a multi stop trip you have to fill it back up as anyone thats road tripped a BEV will tell you - thats where the engineering comes into play.

If this thing cant sustain 350KW for a significant time its going to be a one fill wonder on a road trip.

GM bet a ton of money on ultium and we haven't yet seen anything.

I just don't like how heavy any of these trucks are. I just picture them driving through both of my vehicles. ICE ones were heavy enough as is. With that much battery and range I'm guessing this one will be north of 8k lbs.

@MrHorspwer Yeah, a pure play platform does not have to compromise, unlike a multi-use platform that is, by definition, all about compromise.
Many buyers do not know or care; people tend to be brand loyal. We have heard, "Wait till the big boys get in" ever since Tesla was no longer a flash in the pan. Of course before that, Tesla was going belly up and day now... Ha!

By the was, the downside of a bigger battery is cost, charge time, not to mention weight. Let's see how this thing performs.
I wish GM well with their EV ventures.
Actually I forsee more companies jumping on the 800v three-phase charging architecture. This is much faster than Teslas supercharger can charge. Tesla had a huge lead but the dingbat in charge is letting that slip away. Oh and Tesla was 6 weeks from bankruptcy extremely close. The 800v architecture is letting Porsche and other manufacturers charge much quicker than Tesla. This was three years ago. I forsee at some point Tesla will have to jump on the 800v architecture or be left behind.

Actually I forsee more companies jumping on the 800v three-phase charging architecture. This is much faster than Teslas supercharger can charge. Tesla had a huge lead but the dingbat in charge is letting that slip away. Oh and Tesla was 6 weeks from bankruptcy extremely close. The 800v architecture is letting Porsche and other manufacturers charge much quicker than Tesla. This was three years ago. I forsee at some point Tesla will have to jump on the 800v architecture or be left behind.
You aren't wrong, but the current charger networks that don't have a big T on them in my area with CCS, let alone stupid high charging numbers are a few and far between. J-1772 just isn't hacking it. It's the main reason why I don't have two EVs right now, but if I made the jump it would just be another Tesla. My wife wants an ID.Buzz and she even said herself that she wouldn't be concerned about charging because she mostly drives locally and I wouldn't have a problem taking the Tesla as my daily at this point. It's got to get better for sure over time, but I know I can rely on Tesla's network. A lot can change in the next few years before I buy another car, but if I was doing it now I'd just get a Model 3 Performance and enjoy the extra power and range and just have my wife keep our current Tesla.

Perhaps they will choose to move higher.

The sales job on 800 volts is that it's faster and more efficient - but in the real world it's not, at least so far.

Where are these 800v chargers? I can trhow a rock and hit 3 Tesla chargers... But I rarely use then because 240v in my garage does pretty well.

From a home charging perspective the further you move away from 240 the less efficient the charger gets.

Perhaps they will choose to move higher.

The sales job on 800 volts is that it's faster and more efficient - but in the real world it's not, at least so far.
According to make use of which is quite info and they tend to dig "

3 Reasons 800v Architecture Is the Future of EVs"​

Lexus engineer volt system done, electric is the future
From Greencarreports
"One significant development that can help significantly improve charging time is the introduction of 800-volt electrical systems, which will supplant and may eventually replace the more common 400- and 450-volt systems used in most EVs. 800-volt systems bring with them a wide variety of benefits, including lower weight, higher thermal efficiency, and potentially greater range – but their biggest benefit is arguably significantly faster public charging.".

According to make use of which is quite info and they tend to dig "

3 Reasons 800v Architecture Is the Future of EVs"​

Lexus engineer volt system done, electric is the future
From Greencarreports
"One significant development that can help significantly improve charging time is the introduction of 800-volt electrical systems, which will supplant and may eventually replace the more common 400- and 450-volt systems used in most EVs. 800-volt systems bring with them a wide variety of benefits, including lower weight, higher thermal efficiency, and potentially greater range – but their biggest benefit is arguably significantly faster public charging.".
When will these magical cells appear that can handle more incoming voltage/faster charge rate without reducing capacity (range) as well as quicker cell degradation? Some keep thinking battery technology will infinitely improve, which is a bit hilarious to say the least.

Official EPA range estimates now 450 miles for the W/T trim with the big battery. Initial estimates were around 400. Really shows how much aero and tires help range, compared to the Hummer EV (329 miles or 355 miles, depending on the tires).
What’s the range after I put on a lift kit, mudders and LED light bars? otherwise this won’t make it to the mall and back.

IMO that should eat into the Lightning's sales.

The lightning just looks so much better IMO. Just looks like a regular truck. That’s obviously also a major limitation.

But I wish they’d focus on miles per kWh not just how big of a battery can they shove in there!

When will these magical cells appear that can handle more incoming voltage/faster charge rate without reducing capacity (range) as well as quicker cell degradation? Some keep thinking battery technology will infinitely improve, which is a bit hilarious to say the least.
The batteries are 800V instead of 400V. It’s not jamming power into a battery not designed for it. I’m not sure what’s funny about that though. Tech continues to improve and batteries continue to improve.

Back