2023 VW Jetta

Just curious as so many new(er) vehicle are gravitating to 15,000 mile oil changes. Seems like a lot to ask of the oil and filter, depending on driving style and environment. Just doesn't "feel" right!

Is anyone testing their oil with this kind of milage to see how it is performing/enduring these lengthy in-service intervals?

I usually change every 7/8,000 miles or two years - all German cars. Mobil 1 and Castrol full syn. have served me well so far.

My point was we have been exclusively GM, Ford, Chrysler purchaser's, have never had an Asian or Euro vehicle in the family.
I had one a few guys on here still have one. The car is no good in the snow - massive wheel hop problems on hills with the stick shift. Maybe they fixed that. But I got Fantastic fuel mileage in the upper 30's, smooth ride.

That chassis has a big undertray that must be removed, if you don't have a lift your are not going to be doing oil changes at home.
There is a massive thread on here about VW 508 oil. I found it too thin for my engine and had to substitute a litre of 0w40 Euro Mobil1 to not have excessive engine racket and loss of power when the oil was hot. That was on the 1.4L motor.

5k would be ABSOLUTELY too short an interval for the VW508/509 if your boy drives any distance regularly.

Finally, use the factory VW filter only.

a big 508 thread:

Last edited:
My Jetta handles extremely well in snow. I have chains but have never used them, including going over Cedar Pass in the NE corner of CA during blizzard. Wheels were slipping at the end on that one though. At 311,000 miles with 5K oil changes, my Jetta still does not use oil.

I starting ignoring the VW oil recommendation at 100 K miles and use M-1 TDT. So, I think the Mobil 1 0w-20 ought to work fine but wonder if a 5w-30 would not be better. I would not use anything less than a full synthetic in a car with a turbo.

Reactions: wlk
My Jetta handles extremely well in snow. I have chains but have never used them, including going over Cedar Pass in the NE corner of CA during blizzard. Wheels were slipping at the end on that one though. At 311,000 miles with 5K oil changes, my Jetta still does not use oil.

I starting ignoring the VW oil recommendation at 100 K miles and use M-1 TDT. So, I think the Mobil 1 0w-20 ought to work fine but wonder if a 5w-30 would not be better. I would not use anything less than a full synthetic in a car with a turbo.
What year? the new gen are quite a different animal

VW approved oils must meet tougher specs than API/ILSAC. Although below is not meant for comparison between specifications, it gives you an idea of what those specs and approvals must meet...

Screenshot_20221004_073352.jpg
Screenshot_20221004_073323.jpg

VW508.00 is the toughest 0W-20 approval in the industry as of this post.

Last edited:
I was reading this thread and hoping the original poster would have let us know what he had chosen to do with regard to the oil. I don't own a VW but their oil specifications have always fascinated me.

Early this morning I was doing a comparison between Amsoil's VW approved 508/509 and Mobil-1's ESP X2 0W20 and I was pleasantly surprised to see that my local Autozone sells the Mobil product and actually has it in stock. It was comparably priced to the Amsoil at a savings of $0.60 per quart.

A previous poster mentioned getting a 508/509 oil from the dealership for $7.50 per quart so if that's still the case then that would be the economical choice.

First time anyone in the family has purchased an "import", I am the family mechanic. My older son just bought a 2023 VW Jetta 1.5T Sport, 1.5liter DOHC TSI turbo. Any recommendations about oil? Looks like he gets free maintenance for 30,000 miles. My guess is I will want to change oil in between whatever VW says the interval is.
Valvoline Euro 0W-20.

VW 508.00 approval is outdated and not sufficient. Ensure that it has either API SN PLUS or higher (API SP) or ACEA C6 in addition to VW 508.00; otherwise, you will not get LSPI protection, which is very important for these TGDI engines.

Valvoline Euro 0W-20.

VW 508.00 approval is outdated and not sufficient. Ensure that it has either API SN PLUS or higher (API SP) or ACEA C6 in addition to VW 508.00; otherwise, you will not get LSPI protection, which is very important for these TGDI engines.

From above...
Building on the strength of Infineum’s response to VW’s 1st generation BlueOil, Infineum P6088 has been developed for wider geographic coverage, meeting demanding fuel economy requirements while improving engine protection. This includes going above and beyond the requirements of the specification and adding additional features, notably, LSPI protection.

From above...
Building on the strength of Infineum’s response to VW’s 1st generation BlueOil, Infineum P6088 has been developed for wider geographic coverage, meeting demanding fuel economy requirements while improving engine protection. This includes going above and beyond the requirements of the specification and adding additional features, notably, LSPI protection.
Good but note that VW 508.00 is not a specification by itself. There is also the year suffix, like VW 508.00 2022. Unless the oil is also ACEA C6 or API SP approved, you are not getting VW 508.00 2022 but something like VW 508.00 2016, which has no LSPI protection, and it will show as a high-calcium/low-magnesium non-LSPI-approved oil in a VOA/UOA.

Yes but this was published in 2019. I doubt you'd find an oil with VW508.00 on sale that's this old. This article also presents in the context of being something new. This leads one to believe that from the start, 508 has had LSPI protection baked in.

Yes but this was published in 2019. I doubt you'd find an oil with VW508.00 on sale that's this old. This article also presents in the context of being something new. This leads one to believe that from the start, 508 has had LSPI protection baked in.
No, for example this 2019 UOA shows Castrol Edge Professional Long-Life IV FE 0W-20 VW 508.00 being high-calcium/low-magnesium with no LSPI protection.

Back