2023 Cadillac Lyriq E car

Saw an ad on TV for the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq E car. Here are some shots. It can be equipped with Super Cruze.

D032035D-4708-4F29-84CE-FD82DD4A0F76.jpg
229DC7EE-0A3A-4138-8373-500B4A655A57.jpg

I like the way it looks, despite the fact that I typically dislike SUV's of any sort. At least in the pictures, it has a bit of style. Have to see it on the road before I make up my mind.

2023-cadillac-lyriq-rear.jpg

Heck, the BMW i3 looked at least OK in pictures. But in person, and especially from behind the i3 looks like a joke, with it's scrawny bicycle tires and tall profile.

2017_bmw_i3_94_ah_63_2560x1440.jpg

In my version of the article above I received a pop up ad customized to my area. It advertised a $1000 bonus if you factory order a new Ford Ranger. It looks like orders have become the new way to sell vehicles ( or maybe bringing in an old way that used to exist). My 2008 Burb was actually a factory order.

Regarding GM's Super Cruise system, Rob Mauer from the Tesla Daily channel on Youtube posted a video yesterday detailing how once again, it appears that the bureaucrats from the NHTSA were targeting & harassing Tesla over their self driving system.
He goes on to detail what GM's Super Cruise system does in comparison to Tesla and ponders why GM isn't being similarly targeted. Well, we know why. The Super Cruise system sure doesn't seem very impressive to me. Watch from the 3 minute mark here:

A long commercial, but a nice overview. Still no EPA range, just “over 300” miles.

Regarding GM's Super Cruise system, Rob Mauer from the Tesla Daily channel on Youtube posted a video yesterday detailing how once again, it appears that the bureaucrats from the NHTSA were targeting & harassing Tesla over their self driving system.
He goes on to detail what GM's Super Cruise system does in comparison to Tesla and ponders why GM isn't being similarly targeted. Well, we know why. The Super Cruise system sure doesn't seem very impressive to me. Watch from the 3 minute mark here:

It makes sense. Supercruise is only out on a select few Cadillacs. Two Tesla owners are notorious for stuffing their cars into fire trucks, ambulances and now houses. Tesla owners are irresponsible, and "believe " in anything Elon says.

Cool video and I do like the looks of it (so far). It looks like Cadillac has actually started real production of the Lyric in Spring Hill, TN. It seems GM only planned to make 2300 of them this year. But now claims as many as 25,000 will be produced. (doubt it)

As always, GM falls short in some areas. Look at 3:45 when the button is pushed, the entire fender bends in.

The car uses a 100KWh battery pack full of large format LG pouch cells, ugh. Once again, Musk has an edge here. My predictions: The cells can't take a fast charge or discharge, and will charge at about half the rate of upcoming products. This won't be a vehicle that will be useful on highway trips, with about 200 miles highway range, and modest peak 190KW charging, expect a full hour that is rate and temperature limited. Remember, Li cells really prefer a 1C charge rate which would be 100KW in this case. I'll bet GM manages the battery charge rate carefully to avoid pouch bloat.

The MSRP starts at $60K, which is right in line with other similar vehicles.

Last edited:
With regard to charge rates, here is how the smaller Model 3 battery charges at a "supercharger".

The Cadillac has a 25% larger battery and a slower charge profile.

model-3-v3-supercharger-test.webp

With regard to charge rates, here is how the smaller Model 3 battery charges at a "supercharger".

The Cadillac has a 25% larger battery and a slower charge profile.

model-3-v3-supercharger-test.webp

Where have you seen the Cadillac charge profile/curve?

I’m more concerned about the total area “under the curve” and how flat the charging profile is.

Here’s an example from Bjorn Nyland. The BMW i4 peaked at 208kw and the iX3 peaked at only 155kw, but they both beat the Model 3 to 90% SOC. The Model 3 rate drops too sharply after it peaks, but the BMWs stay more consistent. Hopefully the Lyriq will be more like the BMWs. We shall see.

Last edited:
Nice car for sure.
Not sure why it’s being compared to a Tesla 3?
The Tesla to me looks like an economy shaped sports car and the Lyriq looks like a SUV shaped sports car much like I would expect a Porsche or Land Rover to look.
It’s all about personal preference.

I think from the photos it looks pretty awesome and don’t think a buyer is going to base his/her decision on technical stuff like batteries and charging rates vs an awesome looking vehicle no matter which one you like more.

Yet I do realize this is BITOG 🙃
I never made it a secret that as much as I like Musks achievements Tesla is in for the run of its life as every manufacturer in the world starts cranking out EVs and then some like maybe Apple or names we never heard of.
I agree with Cujet on the BMW, good god what are they thinking, ugly as sin, feel bad saying it as my son works for them and loved their vehicles, so do I but that EV is embarrassing.

Last edited:
Back