2022 Tucson - Required/Recommended fuel

Recently we rented a 2022 Tucson. This vehicle had the 2.5 NA inline 4.

Right from the start it was a total dog. You had to beat on it just to accelerate at a decent pace.
When it was time for it's first fill, I checked online and according to sites like fuel economy.gov, it takes regular fuel, so I proceeded with filling it accordingly.
After roughly 20 minutes of driving at highway speeds (due to road conditions) I noticed the fuel level dropping.
By the time we made it to our destination, it was noticeably worse on fuel than almost anything else I'd rented before (I attributed it to being AWD).

After we checked into the hotel, I had some time to research the fuel requirement according to Hyundai.
I stumbled across this Tucson site, where they indicated that despite being a NA engine, Hyundai informed customers that they NEED to fill their vehicles with prem.. this is not the usual "recommended" suggestion they usually give. Just to be sure I checked the owners' manual in the glove box and sure enough it also stated "91 octane required".
Most attribute the need for prem. to the 13:1 compression ratio. I think I'd have to agree.

Armed with this new info I proceeded to fill the tank again, this time with prem (91 octane).
Sure enough the engine ran smoother, was more powerful and got much better fuel economy.
I can honestly say by simply changing to prem. fuel, that action alone was enough to make me change my mind about the vehicle.

I initially thought the Tucson was worse than my other rental of a comparably equipped 2022 rav4, but now I think I actually appreciate the driving dynamics of this vehicle instead. If I had the option to get this or a Rav4, I'd choose this. It has more of that "comfy car" feel I'd attribute to something like a Volvo XC60.

Just thought I'd share my recent experience.
Happy holidays!

After we checked into the hotel, I had some time to research the fuel requirement according to Hyundai.
I stumbled across this Tucson site, where they indicated that despite being a NA engine, Hyundai informed customers that they NEED to fill their vehicles with prem.. this is not the usual "recommended" suggestion they usually give. Just to be sure I checked the owners' manual in the glove box and sure enough it also stated "91 octane required".
Most attribute the need for prem. to the 13:1 compression ratio. I think I'd have to agree.
Are you sure it requires 91 octane? RON isnt the octane of north america.

owners manual page 1-5 says 87 octane.
image_2022-12-27_134443093.jpg

I'll have to check with my neighbors kid, tech at local hyundai dealer. I was under the impression that the 91octane recommendation was a misprint market translation.... RON's MON's and (r+m)/2 gets confusing for the tech writers

It is winter and cold weather/air certainly makes up for octane up to a point. Probably get a tank of some pathetic gas. Nothing wrong with using the premium stuff.

Are you sure it requires 91 octane? RON isnt the octane of north america.

owners manual page 1-5 says 87 octane.
View attachment 132636
That's the updated one from corporate.
Find a new/used 2022 Tucson and it's paper copy (found in the glove box) indicates "91 required".

There was a recall where Hyundai simply puts a sticker over the "91 required" portion of the statement, to match what you've posted above.

I'll have to check with my neighbors kid, tech at local hyundai dealer. I was under the impression that the 91octane recommendation was a misprint market translation.... RON's MON's and (r+m)/2 gets confusing for the tech writers
What I found was not pertaining to "RON's MON's and (r+m)/2.
It simply stated "91 octane is required".

ok so its not required.. I guess I misunderstood your first post. Where you said this:

Hyundai informed customers that they NEED to fill their vehicles with prem.. this is not the usual "recommended" suggestion they usually give. Just to be sure I checked the owners' manual in the glove box and sure enough it also stated "91 octane required".
Armed with this new info I proceeded to fill the tank again, this time with prem (91 octane).

So throw that whole paragraph out.. its not required.
I did find online confirmation that the 91 was a manual misprint which they fixed with a sticker.

Last edited:
ok so its not required.. I guess I misunderstood your first post. Where you said this:

So throw that whole paragraph out.. its not required.
I did find online confirmation that the 91 was a manual misprint which they fixed with a sticker.
Depends on what level of performance you as a driver/owner are happy with.
None of what I posted is incorrect or false.

just confusing?
You said IT REQUIRES 91

Then said you knew it only took 87 with your updated from corporate sentence..
it wasnt updated it was "recalled" for being incorrect. IE the rest of the world it requires.... 91 RON... which is 87.

Now I dont doubt it runs better on premium.. not arguing that.. seems a confusing way to get to that point.

Hyundai would not sell a base model crossover with no turbo that requires premium fuel in the states.

91 RON is 87 octane. Car runs fine on either one of them i'm sure. These cars are grocery getters not masarati's ...

Dude, you stated:
Just to be sure I checked the owners' manual in the glove box and sure enough it also stated "91 octane required".
Which, as has been pointed out by numerous posters, was a misprint (@Rand posted the updated doc), it was 91 RON, which is 87 in North America.

So yeah, claiming it requires 91 was incorrect/false unless you were talking about 91 RON, which you weren't, because we don't use RON here in Canada.

Recently we rented a 2022 Tucson. This vehicle had the 2.5 NA inline 4.

Right from the start it was a total dog. You had to beat on it just to accelerate at a decent pace.
When it was time for it's first fill, I checked online and according to sites like fuel economy.gov, it takes regular fuel, so I proceeded with filling it accordingly.
After roughly 20 minutes of driving at highway speeds (due to road conditions) I noticed the fuel level dropping.
By the time we made it to our destination, it was noticeably worse on fuel than almost anything else I'd rented before (I attributed it to being AWD).

Sure enough the engine ran smoother, was more powerful and got much better fuel economy.
I can honestly say by simply changing to prem. fuel, that action alone was enough to make me change my mind about the vehicle.

I initially thought the Tucson was worse than my other rental of a comparably equipped 2022 rav4, but now I think I actually appreciate the driving dynamics of this vehicle instead. If I had the option to get this or a Rav4, I'd choose this. It has more of that "comfy car" feel I'd attribute to something like a Volvo XC60.

Just thought I'd share my recent experience.
Happy holidays!
GDI has a side effect of cooling the intake air charge when fuel is sprayed in, which reduces the need for 91 aki fuel.

just confusing?
You said IT REQUIRES 91

Then said you knew it only took 87 with your updated from corporate sentence..
it wasnt updated it was "recalled" for being incorrect. IE the rest of the world it requires.... 91 RON... which is 87.

Now I dont doubt it runs better on premium.. not arguing that.. seems a confusing way to get to that point.
I didn't say that, the manual stated that.
I was merely following the instructions in the manual.
How's that my error?
My post is only a reflection of my experience with a rental...nothing more, nothing less.

If you or anyone else wants to refute my claim that's your problem, not mine.
🤷‍♂️

How many miles were on it? I ask because my Sonata got terrible MPG when it was brand new and the oil smelled of gasoline. After about 10,000 miles the MPG improved and the vehicle now meets or exceeds the EPA MPG rating.

I assume the engine was still breaking in.

How many miles were on it? I ask because my Sonata got terrible MPG when it was brand new and the oil smelled of gasoline. After about 10,000 miles the MPG improved and the vehicle now meets or exceeds the EPA MPG rating.

I assume the engine was still breaking in.
40kms or 25k miles

I'm wondering how the Tucson knew that you put in a lower octane fuel unless the engine was experiencing a preignition knock, which the knock sensor would pick up and tell the PCM. By the way, did you initially fill it with 87 or 89 octane?

I'm wondering how the Tucson knew that you put in a lower octane fuel unless the engine was experiencing a preignition knock, which the knock sensor would pick up and tell the PCM. By the way, did you initially fill it with 87 or 89 octane?
initially with 87.
With it, it ran like a gutless, thirsty turd
:poop:

Back