2022 Suz DR650SE

Bought a second bike to store at the Moto-Cabin in the Cape Breton Highlands, Nova Scotia. I did not expect to enjoy this bike as much as I did.... total grin factory.

I was going to ask what oil to put in her... then I realized I'm a long time BITOG'er who eventually realized it doesn't really matter :unsure:

So she gets whatever is in the shed! And right now that's Valvoline conventional 4T 10w40!

She will be the "do all" bike out east. I'll be getting some soft Mosko Moto bags and she'll be doing NFLD, PEI, and NS every single summer until I die 💪

Now let's get to what matters, pics and videos :cool:
IMG_3949.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpeg
IMG_3679.jpeg

If you read this far... the pic below is me riding inside Fiona's eye! Captain neighbour comes by and says "we're in the eye... go do what you gotta do and come back in an hour...", so I rode up the hill and grabbed this shot. Only realized the experience I captured when I got home and she unleashed night #2 on us!
IMG_3600.jpeg
IMG_3455.jpeg

Friend of mine..."Does she rip?"

Me... "She rips!"

https://share.icloud.com/photos/016H9zXpzdNyJ3vkyCxxoh6UA

Last edited:
I remember riding a DR650 back in the late 90's, it looked very similar.

I'm a big fan of Japanese 4-stroke singles. Simple yet effective.
Hasn't measurably changed in 26 years!

Might be one of the few EMP proof bikes still coming off production lines ;)

@webfors,

I had my heart set on a newer DR650 for years while I figured out my bike collection. I finally got to where I could justify a new bike this year, but was recently talked out of the DR. I was told they suck on any lengthy stretches of road.

I'm told that not having a 6th gear is a big downside and I'd be unhappy trying to maintain highway speeds for a 30 minute commute.

What say you? How's the power on the road?

@webfors,

I had my heart set on a newer DR650 for years while I figured out my bike collection. I finally got to where I could justify a new bike this year, but was recently talked out of the DR. I was told they suck on any lengthy stretches of road.

I'm told that not having a 6th gear is a big downside and I'd be unhappy trying to maintain highway speeds for a 30 minute commute.

The DR is very comfortable at 65-70mph, for what it is. It is a lightweight dirtbike by comparison to today's adventure bikes. But by comparison to my 2 stroke KTM 380EXC, the DR is a rock steady, smooth highway cruiser.

One thing that can be done is to put a 16t front sprocket on. (I believe the original is 15t). This lowers the RPM of the engine a bit at highway speeds. But does not change 1st gear much at all. This is due to simple math, going 5% faster in 1st gear only results in 1MPH more at redline.

@webfors,

I had a nice long response typed... could've sworn I submitted it.

Cujet nailed it. Above 70 things start to get interesting. She'll keep pulling, but you will reach your limit.

She "feels" twice as fast as the GS, and is delivering more grins per mile on those Cape Breton twisties.

I rode the Cabot Trail with a Tenere and K1600GTL, twice in one weekend! We rotated the bikes and there is no doubt there were more giggles and general $#it-grinnery coming through our meshed Cardo intercoms from the rider on the DR.

With an updated seat, I will be riding that bike tens of thousands of KMs across the Canadian and US east coast. I'll leave the slabbing for the GS. In Cape Breton, the DR is in its natural habitat.

See video above. Took me a few hours to wipe the grin off my face after that run ;)

Just a note: I've ridden I-95 FL to NY a number of times on single cylinder dirt bikes. I never found it difficult or uncomfortable. I guess I like sitting bolt upright. The few sport bikes I've owned were less comfortable to me.

My first motorcycle was a Yamaha SR500, the road going version of the XT500, TT500 dirt bikes. All the same basic 500cc air cooled, single cylinder, 4-stroke engines.

Sure, I had a slightly better posture than the two dirt bikes, but I loved it on the open road. Thumping through the hills was pure pleasure.

When you have live cams to spend quality time with my long distance relationship... the bike is 1700KM away:
IMG_4271.jpeg

I keep tossing the idea around of getting an XR650L for similar use. You really cant go wrong with any of the big 3 big bore bikes.
DO IT!

Don't get me wrong, the GS is a GREAT bike, but the DR is a lot more FUN 😁

The mod list has grown a bit 😁

The DR rabbit hole is deep, and mods are endless. I'll be heading out east this spring for the bike build in prep for an August trip across the TransLab and maritimes. Build thus far:
  • H4 LED Headlight
  • 1157 LED Brake Light
  • Acerbis 5.3 fuel tank
  • Seat Concepts Comfort seat
  • Sit n Fly (Large) seat cover
  • Rick Motosport Mosfet Rectifier
  • Shinko 244 tires
  • Xitomer Top Rack
  • Pirelli HD Tubes
  • Warp9 Case Armour
  • Xitomer Chain guard (front)
  • Krator ADV Foot Pegs
  • Xitomer Radiator Guard
  • Russell Fuel Filter & replacement filter
  • MP Premium Fuel Line - Clear
  • Hyde Racing Skid Plate
  • Mantt Fork Brace
  • Mantt Turn Signal Relocation Bracket
  • Fly Racing Fat Bar - 1 1/8th
  • Warp9 1 Inch Risers - 1 1/8th
  • Xitomer - Foot Stand Enlarger
  • Givi S430 Seat Tanklock
  • DoubleTake ADV Mirrors
Known issues to mitigate risk on the 2017+ DR650:
  • Upper chain roller delete bolt (Upper chain roller failure risk mitigation)
  • Lower bearing chain roller (Lower chain roller failure risk mitigation)
  • Warp9 rear Chain guide (OEM plastic chain guide failure risk mitigation)
  • ProCycle Premium Cush Drive Dampers (Carrier bearing failure risk mitigation)
  • NSU screw fix ("Screw falling in your engine and causing engine failure" risk mitigation)
Macro view of trip route:
1677856894386.jpeg

Back