2022 kia Forte gt 1.6T

Not a thing about thick or thin. My rule is the engineers have some inside info on what is best. So viscosity and OCI go hand in hand with your OM. But taking advice from even the best minds at BITOG go a far second place from the OM.
These engineers made an engine so good that a Kia crossover ate 9 of them up, 1 every ~66k miles.

MOFT>CAFE, plus great additives that help an oil pass Porsche A40 test. That's the recipe for a long lasting engine.

These engineers made an engine so good that a Kia crossover ate 9 of them up, 1 every ~66k miles.

MOFT>CAFE, plus great additives that help an oil pass Porsche A40 test. That's the recipe for a long lasting engine.
Sad… So to think a 5w-30 viscosity oil is to blame? Porsche A40 oil will fix? Now that is some thinking…

I posted this a couple months or so ago, but when we bought my wife's Hyundai Tucson recently, I was chatting with the service manager. He told me they put 5W-20 in just about everything unless specifically requested. The Tucson was a 2019 and had 30K on it. They gave me copies of the invoices done to it, and they actually have Quaker State 5W-20 on the invoices for each OCI. So, the previous owner had taken it back their for service since new.

I will be putting 5w-30 in it on my first oil change. We have only put about 700 miles on it in the last six weeks. Oil still at full mark and nice and clear amber. Oil looks brand new still.

The 1.6 was not involved in that scenario, and there is abuse to the engines involved as well.

The 1.6 was not involved in that scenario, and there is abuse to the engines involved as well.
I wouldn't highlight that situation if it was a one-off. Unfortunately it's just one of thousands of failed Hyundai/Kia examples, this one just happened to be the most recent widely known one. And from all those failed engines Majority are 2.4L/2.0L, but a fair share of 1.6L are mixed in.

I wouldn't highlight that situation if it was a one-off. Unfortunately it's just one of thousands of failed Hyundai/Kia examples, this one just happened to be the most recent widely known one. And from all those failed engines Majority are 2.4L/2.0L, but a fair share of 1.6L are mixed in.
Again, the 1.6L engines were not recalled. Only the 2.4 And 2.0l

When did I say that 1.6L were part of a recall? I only said that they are prone to failures, just in smaller quantities compared to 2.0L/2.4L. Low viscosity oils accelerate those failures in those engines in particular.
If they were prone to the same failures as the larger engines, they would have been a part of the recall as well. I will agree about the low viscosity oil Use.

They gave me the number on hold now want to keep the 100k mile power train warranty on the car they said it had to be serviced at a kia dealer at least once a year. They kept calling 5W 30 a synthetic blend told them I have 5W 30 full synthetic in my wife's traverse. This is just the first time a dealer refuses to use the oil the car called for.
Go to another Kia dealer?

Back