2022 Hyundai Accent

I recently had a 2020 Hyundai Accent SE rental after my Lexus was totaled. I wasn’t too fond of it because who wants a Hyundai Accent right?

The car was actually impressive enough that I ended up buying a new 2022 Hyundai Accent SE. Dealer got the VIN on 5/6 and I was able to secure it the next day at MSRP. Delivery ETA is 3-4 weeks

The good:
The Accent is great on gas. It is stable at high speeds contrary to how you would expect a sub compact to drive at 80 mph. Besides strong cross winds throwing the car around slightly, it holds steady. Ride quality is decent for the price. Road noise is less than I expected. Hyundai’s IVT works a lot better than what I’ve driven from Subaru and Nissan. I thought it was a 6AT for the first couple of days.

The bad:
Halogen headlights are almost useless as they barely shine more then an arms reach in front of the car. I’m hoping upgraded bulbs will help.
No DRLs.
Back seats are tight but I never have passengers so it works for me.

For the price I can’t really complain. Not many new sub $20k cars left and the car met my expectations for a commuter.
I was going to get a Mitsubishi Mirage but the dealer staff was crappy. Walked in, sales were chatting away about their Friday night, waited around awkwardly as they ignored me and I left.

Speaking of crosswinds, I've come to an opinion that cars which are low profile and have a sports tuned suspension fair best. A Civic Si or the odd Elantra Sport as an example.

Research bulbs here:

I like the Kia Rio hatchback(the Accent's brother from another mother).
Adjust the headlight housings yourself to your liking without blinding oncoming drivers. I've don't this to many cars that I was dissatisfied with the lighting. Keep in mind that a little adjustment goes a long way so, don't over adjust.

Great car for the money.

I had rented the same car in Dallas 2 months ago and put 600 miles on it in a week. I would prefer it over a Corolla for a cross country road trip.

to anyone who craps on it without owning or driving one.. these arent excels or ponys anymore.

Had 2002 and 2010 accents in the family. the difference was astounding.. and the 2010-2020 improvement is greater.

Was actually shopping for one in 2020 but got an almost fully loaded elantra value edition sunroof, alloy wheels, heated seats etc.
for same price as the base accent... (less than 1000 difference) 15500 on a 22k+ window sticker.

Speaking of crosswinds, I've come to an opinion that cars which are low profile and have a sports tuned suspension fair best. A Civic Si or the odd Elantra Sport as an example.

Research bulbs here:

I am not seeing the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited when doing a quick search for them. By chance, are they now called Night Breaker Laser?

Years ago I would adjust headlight height by parking on a level surface around 5 feet from the concrete block wall of an AMES discount store to AIM ( ;) ) the headlights and use the mortar to help with the height adjustment . We have the '18 ACCENT w/ 6 speed auto . Has averaged 39 m.p.g. since new . Keep us updated on its arrival , gas mileage , reliability , etc.. The '20 > '22 ACCENTs are a different engine and use a plastic housing and cartridge . The RIOs' and VENUE have the same revised engine and the C.V.T..

This is the same O.C. for ACCENT and RIO . Less mess with the cartridge than the spin on can .

Last edited:
Years ago I would adjust headlight height by parking on a level surface around 5 feet from the concrete block wall of an AMES discount store to AIM ( ;) ) the headlights and use the mortar to help with the height adjustment . We have the '18 ACCENT w/ 6 speed auto . Has averaged 39 m.p.g. since new . Keep us updated on its arrival , gas mileage , reliability , etc.. The '20 > '22 ACCENTs are a different engine and use a plastic housing and cartridge . The RIOs' and VENUE have the same revised engine and the C.V.T..

This is the same O.C. for ACCENT and RIO . Less mess with the cartridge than the spin on can .

I wonder why they switched from the blue spin on filter. This seems like a disaster waiting to happen with those extra gaskets that have to be installed. I can see it now a quick lube guy in a rush puts the gasket on wrong and 20 miles down the road all the oil leaks out and blows the engine. You’d think Hyundai would want to keep it simple and make sure the oil stays in the engine.

Car has arrived. Waiting on MSO which I’m told is 2-3 days out.
I was able to track the delivery ETA for the past week or so using Hyundai system. The car wasn’t listed on the dealers site until 5/9 and I had purchased on 5/7(Saturday) So I can only assume they had just got the specific VIN allocation shortly before I walked in.

I discovered the tracking system on the 18th. In which the car was still port status(Philadelphia PA). On the 20th it was changed to transport status. Arrived 5 days later on the 25th. Delivery ETA went from 5/23 > 6/1 > 6/3 and back to 5/31 when I checked on Monday. Then out of nowhere back to 5/24 this morning(the 25th).

I’m just glad im able to get into a new, rust free car for MSRP in todays market. Now that I have a pick up and an efficient commuter, I think the next vehicle I buy will be a Harley.

74787274-C394-454F-BC4C-772E255480F1.jpeg
B0EE1547-03D9-4786-8CB8-9FB3AB4E6227.jpeg
BF85B44F-E95B-4E58-BF2E-EADB74ED896F.jpeg

They are great looking cars. I like the pothole tolerant generous sidewalls to the tires too.

Can you even find a 2022 Accent in stock with the current ~$5/gal gas?

Unfortunately couldn’t get the Hyundai. The car is prepped and the paperwork is straight, but there is a recall for exploding seat belt tensioners so the car can’t be delivered. No ETA on when the part is available. And I leave in 2 weeks for a few months so I wouldn’t be able to take delivery until September October timeframe.

What a waste of time. I know it’s not the fault of the dealer but rather the fault of Hyundais design team. Guess I won’t be buying a Hyundai after all. Time to look for another car smh.

Unfortunately couldn’t get the Hyundai. The car is prepped and the paperwork is straight, but there is a recall for exploding seat belt tensioners so the car can’t be delivered. No ETA on when the part is available. And I leave in 2 weeks for a few months so I wouldn’t be able to take delivery until September October timeframe.

What a waste of time. I know it’s not the fault of the dealer but rather the fault of Hyundais design team. Guess I won’t be buying a Hyundai after all. Time to look for another car smh.

Oh man that sucks! I thought it was a done deal and the vehicle was in your driveway.

That's going to be rough on Hyundai if they can't sell vehicles.

Oh man that sucks! I thought it was a done deal and the vehicle was in your driveway.

That's going to be rough on Hyundai if they can't sell vehicles.

I could only wish. The recall came out last week while the MSO was being delivered. Crazy how it dropped within the 2-3 day window for the paperwork to arrive. The dealer has a handful of sold Elantras that are sitting stagnant waiting for the new pre tensioners. Even if the part somehow comes next week, my car isn’t the only one. True disappointment. I actually liked the accent.

Last edited:
Back