2022 Ford Explorer ST

Picked this up about 2 months ago, figured I would put some miles on it before I posted.

So far the ST has been great, tons of power and no issues. MPG is better than my old 3.5 duratech. Highway onramps have become a huge joy in my life.

Small quirks I have noticed... The A piler will randomly creek when its cold out. The 10" infotainment screen is sometimes slow and the display when in reverse wastes 1/2 the screen (dumbest design ever). Stock ford wipers where trash and got replaced asap. Blacked out car came with chrome 2 piece lugs.

Due to covid a few items have been removed from the explorer lineup. Massaging seats, 4g hotspot, hands free lift gate. Also noticed the front/rear camera washers where removed but the nozzles are still there (maybe just add some hoses and some Ts?).

Mods so far:

Piaa silicone wipers
Gorilla black lugs
LED rear blinkers
LED reverse lights
UPR duel valve catch can

Being its a turbo GDI engine I am going to hold off on any mods that could void the warranty for now. Currently has 650ish miles, plan to get it changed at 1k just for the hell of it then every 5k/1y after. I do not drive a ton and normally only rack up 5-7k miles a year. As for oil brand I am unsure yet.

*Not my pic, exact same as mine*
u5V5XqN.jpg

VERY impressive spec sheet.

I’ll bet the acceleration is addictive!

Im very interested in what your experience with reliability will be. There have been a lot of complaints about Ford quality lately, and this is a complex vehicle.

Do you get a lot of people who panic and slow down, thinking you’re a cop?

I’d suggest an ACEA C3 Euro-spec oil (M1 ESP 5W-30 or 0W-30, Pennzoil Euro L, etc).

The Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 is available at Walmart for $26/jug.

VERY impressive spec sheet.

I’ll bet the acceleration is addictive!

Im very interested in what your experience with reliability will be. There have been a lot of complaints about Ford quality lately, and this is a complex vehicle.

Do you get a lot of people who panic and slow down, thinking you’re a cop?

Thanks everyone!

And yes, they panic and slow down or switch lanes asap. Depending on them it either speeds up or slows down my drive to work.

hope you got extended warranty you will need it
Yea-bought a used 2020- F150 with 26,000 miles on it. It was used so I did expect some issues. Trim around shifter loose, APIM (black box for radio-$400.00) needed replacement, drivers side window misadjusted. At Ford quality is Job 1........

All items replaced under warranty. Dealers are still waiting for parts to replace power tail gate electronics-when something gets wet (rain) the tail gate magically opens-by itself.

Hope you enjoy your ST as much as we enjoy our 21 XLT. 22.5k miles on the clock, zero visits to the dealer for anything other than oil changes.

Only issue I had was a loose nut on a cover piece on the passenger side. Made a small rattle, a minute with a deep well socket and all is good.

I'll never understand peoples needs to dump on a new vehicle purchase...

Did they put proper left foot rest in this explorer or is it only big enough to rest your small toe? I rented recently previous Explorer and couldn’t believe how uncomfortable seating position is.

Beautiful car, definitely the best looking gen for explorers interior and exterior wise. The last-gen infotainment was ugly and extremely outdated.

Have a buddy with one of these, his wife races it in the "street legal class" in the 300ft sand drags, it surprises a lot of people at how fast it is.

at that price you could have bought a very nice toyota and wont need the extended warranty. fords tech is seriously suspect now.

at that price you could have bought a very nice toyota and wont need the extended warranty. fords tech is seriously suspect now.
I don't know much about the current highlander but my 2015 Highlander with the 3.5 V6 has been leaking oil since 50k miles and this is a common issue and the only way to fix this issue is to pull the motor (about a $5000 job). Plus the explorer looks amazing while the highlander is just ok looking, nothing impressive and super boring to drive.

Second negative post in this thread. OP is happy with his new SUV, no need to rain on the new car parade.

Back