2022 Explorer ST

Just picked up a 22 Explorer ST.

This is my first new vehicle and I am wondering about oil changes/break in. So far I have about 200 miles on her and am wondering when I should have the first oil change done. I have 4x free oil changes from the dealer but no idea if they will give me issues on asking for them early.

After I take over the oil I plan to run m1 EP 5w-30.

Just drive it and enjoy it ,,what is special about M1 EP?

I have had good luck with it in the past. Not being brand loyal. I have learned threw the years engines like what they like and sometimes that's not always the best.

My older honda's burned M1 like crazy.

Wouldn't hurt to put a magnet on the oil filter during the break in process.

Why not just change the filter at 500, and 1k miles?. After all, that's where all the loose stuff should be collected. I'm pretty sure if you sent the oil in for testing, they would say the oil is fine for those few miles driven.,,

When going to the dealer for oil changes - make sure they use the right oil and right amount.

It was extremely common for Focus STs to get 4.5 quarts of 5w20 (standard Focus specs) when they require 5.7 quarts of 5w30.

When going to the dealer for oil changes - make sure they use the right oil and right amount.

It was extremely common for Focus STs to get 4.5 quarts of 5w20 (standard Focus specs) when they require 5.7 quarts of 5w30.
...and don't over-torque the drain plug or filter canister or leave the drip stick out or the fill cap off or forget to replace the crush washer or O-rings. At least every other day I read about a dealership that messes up one or more of the above on a simple oil change.

Just picked up a 22 Explorer ST.

This is my first new vehicle and I am wondering about oil changes/break in. So far I have about 200 miles on her and am wondering when I should have the first oil change done. I have 4x free oil changes from the dealer but no idea if they will give me issues on asking for them early.

After I take over the oil I plan to run m1 EP 5w-30.
drop that break-in Oil right after the break in use Motorcraft full Syn 5w30. Then use up the free Ford stuff . Then After u can use M1 or Castrol Edge.

Back