2021 Nissan Altima Tranny Advice

Hello, Gents.

My wife's 2021 Nissan Altima is coming up on 30,000 miles and because it is a CVT, I want to have the transmission serviced. I should have the dealer do a drain and fill, but not a fluid exchange with machine (flush), correct? Would that be the majority opinion/advice here? Thanks so much!

I can't imagine a dealership is using a machine to "force" fluid anywhere. They probably use a machine that will measure fluid in and out, using the cooler lines, engine running. Even if they did force-feed--it's got all of 30k, all the fears of dislodging stuff, it's too new for that.

I'm not much of a D&F fan but for this I would. D&F every 30k, like what Honda recommends for their AT's (at least the older ones), keeps the fluid fresh and clear.

My anecdote is we got our 2010 2.5L Altima to 200k miles with D&F every 60k using the Castrol NS-2 equivalent.
I suspect both the CVTs and NS-3 fluid today is even better. To me, 30k seems like overkill given my experience.

That CVT is an easy trans to service. I take care of a friends high mileage ex-Hertz 2015 Altima strippie. I've used Castrol and Valvoline. I have a jug of Lubegard that I might use next.

Do a spill and fill; it takes about 4 quarts. I bought a dip stick off Ebay for an earlier car that works. Or you can do the dribble method.

Hello, Gents.

My wife's 2021 Nissan Altima is coming up on 30,000 miles and because it is a CVT, I want to have the transmission serviced. I should have the dealer do a drain and fill, but not a fluid exchange with machine (flush), correct? Would that be the majority opinion/advice here? Thanks so much!
Witha CVT you dont have to worry about pushing tranny soup into seals.
Whichever method the dealer uses for complete fluid exchange is fine.

CVT unlike regular ATs, CVTs potentially can live forever because they have no clutchpacks to wear out.
But there is no free lunch and the CVT fluid IS the clutchpack, so they rarely do since no one not even the dealer has frequent fluid change guidance.
But frequent and complete changes are best practices.

Nissan doesn't want you to service it for some reason, but it isn't difficult. CVT fluid is widely available at a fair price.

This video also shows a filter change, though doing so isn't necessary.

If you still prefer to have it done at a shop, VIOC will probably change it. Most dealers don't want to change CVT fluid (not just Nissan), but the quicky lubes are more willing to.

There is nothing wrong with a flush.

These are easy enough to drain/refill, replace filters....

30k isn't low mileage for a CVTF

Maintain it if you plan on keeping the vehicle. Don't if you can trade in before warranty expires.

We have 3 Altimas in our family, 2 2019 Altima and a 2015 Altima. The Nissan dealership performed a drain and fill on the CVT at 60k miles for two out of the 3 Altimas we own. I think CVT drain and fill at 30k is premature but if you want to extra peace of mind then go for it.

-ttvr4

Hello, Gents.

Ford73 little late here, but I just did my own CVT service on my 17 Versa ( has the CVT tranny) a week ago ... biggest issue is the lack of serviceability designed into the vehicle.. dipstick is sealed, filter is on side of tranny so wheelwell has to be removed, also has a metal screen in the sump. I would advise they change the external filter too based on the appearance of mine.. and possibly drop the pan and clean it out based on the large amount of material on the 3 magnets Nissan has in the pan...

there should be a filter on the side of the transmission as well as a filter screen on the inside... and that little sucker was black after 80k miles.

Attachments

• 1 nissan filter.JPG
    1 nissan filter.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 1 nissan.JPG
    1 nissan.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 9
Like many have posted DIY. Dealer is a rip off. Selling dealer they refused service on mine. I think Nissan was trying to sort out issues with field failure then and it was hands off! for a period.

Valvoline and Castrol make excellent fluid. Important to get the wear in fluid out early. preferably by 15K. My '14 Rogue Select had thick mud on the dipstick tip by 12k.

Recommend a Pan drop. Wipe the pan clean. New Gaket if required. Have the fresh bottles of new CVT fluid (valvoline) and vehicle trans fluid at SAME ambient temperature .

Measure what came out and install same quantity. On my rogue select it was hard to get a read on a level. it read from EMPTY off the bottom of the dipstick when below freezing to and an inch over the full mark when HOT after a hard 45 min commute. And this was when the car was new and had maybe 5 months of use.

I drove my car hard back then; manually shifting and back torquing the trans for engine braking and NEUTRAL going down long grades - all NOT recommend. Trans worked flawlessly. IDK if the AWD unit was a HD version.

Now my old boss, Bob L. leased a few Nissan Altima and every one had a trans failure. Some within months of new, others further in.

- Ken

Back