2021 Ford Bronco vs. Jeep Wrangler

Not really. My 26 year old Explorer with 256K miles has stock size AT tires. It also doesn't look like a Mickey Mouse clown car and I have used high range to get out of mud within the last week. I will run over your YETI cooler.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by domer10
Ahhh let me guess unless, you must also think that unless it's not lifted 5 inches with 37 inch tires not covered in mud and banged/dinged up at all it's a mall cruiser.

That's what I think! LOL It's all about perspective. In the summer, my YJ on 40's spends more time upside down than right side up....of course that's on trails you can't walk on.
It did just fine running smooth at 70MPH in Moab too - and that's with a 2.5L four I built mated to a SM420 transmission (no overdrive).

In all seriousness, I did some research on the new Bronco last night. It looks like it's based on the Ranger (I was hoping F150, but no). Ford went with Dana for the rear axle in the Ranger, so it has that in common with the Wrangler and Gladiator. I checked the Dana website and it's the updated Dana 44 (8.9" ring gear, bigger pinion shaft, etc). I believe that's what I see in the sneak pic of the Bronco.

The Fast Lane Truck has a comparison video of the FX4 Ranger vs Gladiator Rubicon. Granted, they were unmaintained and fire roads, but the Ranger did pretty well with the rear locker and the skid plates seem beefy. The only upgrade to a FX4 Ranger I would do is rocker protection. When it arrives, I suspect the new Bronco will have a similar wheelbase and performance to the Ranger.

I would be tickled pink if Ford threw a solid front axle under the Bronco to really compete with the Wrangler. Sadly, they are going to go with the masses and build for the average Joe and soccer mom. Of course, IMHO, the Wrangler 4 door is the new minivan - at least in my neck of the woods - hence Mall Crawler. Regardless, for the average weekend warrior and Off Road enthusiast, I don't see the IFS in the Bronco as being an issue. Well, except if someone were to lift it high enough to fit 37's, then the IFS wouldn't be too happy. The other thing I thought about was the price point. The FX4 in TFL's video was about $40K, where the Gladiator was $60K. That's insane!
I think if Ford can introduce a FX4 Bronco that does 90% of the off roading that most people want to do, at low to mid $40's price point, it's going to sell well. We'll see!

Anyway, that's an old Off Roader's perspective. I'm heading out for a walk. Stay Healthy!

I don't think Jeep has anything to worry about. They have the Wrangler and Gladiator which are unique niche vehicles. I agree that if the Bronco comes out like that photo then its more of an FJ then anytning else. Jeep people usually stay Jeep and Ford people will gravitate to the Bronco. I will hang on to my '78 CJ7 :)

Originally Posted by Zaedock

I would be tickled pink if Ford threw a solid front axle under the Bronco to really compete with the Wrangler. Sadly, they are going to go with the masses and build for the average Joe and soccer mom. Of course, IMHO, the Wrangler 4 door is the new minivan - at least in my neck of the woods - hence Mall Crawler. Regardless, for the average weekend warrior and Off Road enthusiast, I don't see the IFS in the Bronco as being an issue. Well, except if someone were to lift it high enough to fit 37's, then the IFS wouldn't be too happy. The other thing I thought about was the price point. The FX4 in TFL's video was about $40K, where the Gladiator was $60K. That's insane!
I think if Ford can introduce a FX4 Bronco that does 90% of the off roading that most people want to do, at low to mid $40's price point, it's going to sell well. We'll see!

Once things stabilize, I think they will sell every one they make if the pricing is competitive with the Wrangler.

I would have liked to have seen something like this, with a TTB front end and square or rectangular headlamps...
[Linked Image from whiskeyriff.com]

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Originally Posted by Zaedock

Once things stabilize, I think they will sell every one they make if the pricing is competitive with the Wrangler.

I would have liked to have seen something like this, with a TTB front end and square or rectangular headlamps...
[Linked Image from whiskeyriff.com]

If it looked more like this it would sell well. Jeep will still take the lead because they have the most aftermarket support. I think this new Bronco will end up selling similar to the FJ Cruiser.

Back