2021 Ford Bronco 2.7L Ecoboost Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 - 3800 miles

First UOA, dumped the factory fill at 1200 miles. Gen 2 Port/Direct Injection 2.7L Ecoboost. Filled with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 API SP and changed at 5,000 miles to start rounded 5k intervals. About 4 months on this sample. I only live about 8 miles from work so mostly short trips. Was worried about fuel dilution with short trips and remote starts on cold mornings over the winter but it seemed to fair OK. OEM motorcraft FL-2062A filter. Refilled with the same oil/filter but open to new options since Magnatec is no more.

blackstone uoa 21 BRONCO-220228 (2)-page-001.jpg

Good to see a 5w30 pennzoil platinum UOA with 9.0+ kv100, especially on a TDI. Wear metals look fine for a new engine.

Magnatec is still around, just rebranded as GTX Full Synthetic.

Besides Castrol Magnatec, I've used Castrol Edge and Valvoline EP in my Ecoboost. Unfortunately I don't have any UOA results, but from a NVH or gas mileage perspective I haven't noticed any difference.

How are you liking the engine ?
No issues in 9k miles. I’m in the “hot range” of bronco 2.7s that had dropped valves but I may have gotten a good one. Great power and still gets 20+ mpg highway in a brick on 35” tires and 4.70 gears. Probably going to try this old stock Amsoil signature I picked up recently for a deal on the next OCI.

I agree. The Kirkland oil that I just had tested out of my wife’s Hyundai had a lot more anti wear additives. Plus I don’t love the thin viscosity.
Yup. Kirkland 5W-30 full-syn oil, blended by Highline Warren, is excellent.

With its -30°C Cold Crank Viscosity of 3685 cP, it's my go-to for the GM vehicles that sit outside all winter at my place north of Anchorage. Each and every one starts every time -- easily in fact.

Last edited:
No issues in 9k miles. I’m in the “hot range” of bronco 2.7s that had dropped valves but I may have gotten a good one. Great power and still gets 20+ mpg highway in a brick on 35” tires and 4.70 gears. Probably going to try this old stock Amsoil signature I picked up recently for a deal on the next OCI.
That valve issue (valves from vendor / terminated as supplier) is long mitigated. You will be fine. That's an excellent proven engine plus your taking great care of it. We love the Gen2- 2.3L TGDI in our '20 Ranger. Superb powertrain & good MPG's for 4500lb 4wd truck. 20mpgs average/24 highway. Reset the *instant mileage indicator* b4 driving & can easily cater driving style for better mpgs around town. We've gotten 23-24mpg around twn stayin outta boost this way. We may get '23 Bronco or Bronco Sport next for my fiance. Been rather impressed w/Bronco Sport be honest! Gets rave reviews (as does big Bronco) & not simply a litely changed Escape. Enjoy! -Ohio #PennzoilPlatinum

To me the platinum ad pack looks weak.
I've had great experience w/ PP & PUP in all our Gen1 & Gen2 TGDI Ford trucks. Did UOAs an all. Usually stick w/Penn Ultra Platinum though these days. Few bucks more..more stout & its spec'd for a few very high- performance vehicles. Though M1 EP is solid no doubt. Anyone have opinions on Torco 100% synthetic oils? Or just hyped boutique stuff?

Those are low wear #s for an engine nowhere near broken in. I agree with FZI in that you can save your money on UOAs till it’s broken in around 25 or 30k miles.
Nice report!

Thanks everyone. After 10k miles total on Platinum, I’m about 3800 miles into Amsoil Signature and have noticed no discernible difference. M1 0W40 is probably on the docket for winter. Don’t plan on another UOA until about 30k.

Thanks everyone. After 10k miles total on Platinum, I’m about 3800 miles into Amsoil Signature and have noticed no discernible difference. M1 0W40 is probably on the docket for winter. Don’t plan on another UOA until about 30k.
Why go w/0w40 instead of 0w30? Your engine warranty is 60k mis. It's always advisable to stay w/recommended oil viscosity during the warranty period. Surely Ford wouldn't have any issue w/ 0w30 but 0w40? I wouldn't do it. Also, after such an awesome UOA why switch from Pennzoil >Amsoil? Just curious. You could go to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as I've used for a decade or so. Excellent oil. What oil filter do ya use? I installed a dry flow AFM drop-in air filter (good for 50k mis) on my '20 Ranger Lariat FX4 & like it so far.. though will probably go bk to OEM Motorcraft next time as they are hard to beat. Thick media w/great a seal.

I'm starting to think the people that said the 2.7 is better engineered than the 3.5 were right. What a great looking analysis for such a young engine.

Back