2021 chevy equinox service esc light on

My wife's 2021 Chevy Equinox 1.5 turbo started idling rough and now the service ESC light has come on. I wonder what that could be. I cant get it to the dealer for 2 weeks as they are booked up.

Manual says...
This light comes on briefly when the vehicle is turned on. If the light does not come on, have the vehicle serviced by your dealer. If the system is working normally, the indicator light turns off. If the light is on and not flashing, the TCS and potentially the StabiliTrak/ESC system are not fully operational and may not assist in maintaining control. Adjust driving accordingly. If the condition persists, see your dealer as soon as possible. A Driver Information Center (DIC) message may display. The light flashes when the TCS and/or the StabiliTrak/ESC system is actively working. See Traction Control/Electronic Stabilit

OK, hooked up a scanner and I have 2 codes. PO171 lean fuel trim on bank 1 and PO 50D, cold start rough idle. The PO171 is probable an air leak some where. Don't see any vacuum hoses loose.

Go after the P0171 lean code. With the scan tool displaying live fuel trim data take a propane torch, crack it open (not lit), and trace the intake system & vacuum lines. Watch for the numbers to change (down). With a turbo, there's more ductwork & joints than a NA car. Good luck!

Also, check the purge valve: unhook the electrical connector & vacuum line going into it from the charcoal canister. Start the car - there should be no vacuum at the inlet port with the connector unplugged.

I doubt it. Most problems with injectors result in leaks which drives a P0172 code, running rich. Only time I've ever seen a P0171 (and that was a pending code, not setting the MIL) was a fuel pump that was putting out 40psi vs. a spec of min 50psi.

My money is on unmetered air.

Back