2020 Subaru Legacy 2.5, 11,065 OCI, Kirkland 0w20, Wix Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely dependent on the cause of the consumption.
Exactly !!!

Miller88 said:
I've heard that short tripped subarus will eat the valve cover gaskets from the condensation rich oil sitting against them, but that's not a long oil change issue. That's a short trip issue.

It is well documented that the coolant , if not changed, will damage the head gaskets. But I'm failing to see how long oil change intervals will make the coolant eat the head gaskets.

And the FB engines don't have the head gasket problems because they pass the coolant to the head externally.
Yup - the cause and effect isn't lining up with the "explanations" we've heard so far.

This discussion is absurd IMO. OCI duration does not cause head gasket issues, nor oil consumption issues.

I don’t know where I read or saw it, but I thought I heard that Subaru changed from a 7,500 oci to a 6,000 oci because cars were using oil, and owners were driving cars that were too low on oil. Check your oil.

I drive an hour one way to work on interstates. My car gets up to temperature and then some daily. I don’t worry about fuel or condensation. I know the fuel was high in this sample. I knew it would be. I started the car and moved it in cold weather.

I don’t feel I’m the “normal” Subaru owner.
That makes far more sense. Owners not checking the oil on an engine design (boxer) that has a history of oil consumption and thus running them dangerously low and causing damage is a very reasonable cause to shorten the interval.

Another possibility, though quite unlikely, is that the engines are extremely hard on oil and causing significant breakdown, thus leading to varnish and deposit formation. I've seen no evidence of this being the case however.

OCI duration does not cause head gasket issues, nor oil consumption issues.

Honestly I'm not talking about cause and effect, causation vs. correlation, etc. I am more of the mind of thinking in terms of contributing factors and the probability of said contributing factors contributing to a known issue. I would not go so far as definitively saying that an oil change interval DOES NOT contribute to oil consumption issues whatsoever as if it were an impossibility, but rather considering something like "what is the probability that an extended oil change interval will contribute to oil consumptions issues in the future?"

It would be equivalent to saying "smoking cigarettes DOES NOT cause lung cancer" versus "what is the probability that smoking cigarettes will contribute to the development of developing lung cancer?"

I've said what I needed to say and I am done with this thread now, I look forward to the next opportunity to be helpful at BITOG 😎
Lol. No facts presented on your end- not even a TSB. Totally derailed OPs UOA thread. Got cornered and called out by an educated mod and now you’re bowing out. Well done sir.

U still have the throne on your “enthusiast forum”

Oh you're such a big bad man, you want to come in and talk trash like everyone else because you can't actually contribute anything or even say anything original. Oh I feel so bad! Look at how stupid everyone has made me look because I've asked repeatedly, and everyone has refused to answer, why did Subaru lower its oil change interval after widespread oil consumption issues had arisen? That is a fact and I challenge anyone to actually address that fact instead of talking smack. Also I did apologize to the OP, you must have missed that part just like you missed all that other stuff I keep asking about but not getting "expert" responses on 🥴

I have asked that same question several times throughout the course of this thread and all the people who claim to know so much more than I do refuse to answer it. Why? That is the basis of why I began posting in this thread and instead of answering it you all want to play gotcha games about head gasket concerns. An auto manufacturer can make a change to recommended maintenance without issuing a TSB, if you are not smart enough to know that you need people like me here who do know these things 👍
How do they do that?

Are you saying that Subaru did not change the oil change interval after model year 2014? That IS a fact and they have stated that they did this in an effort to mitigate oil consumption issues that had developed because the oil change interval was 7500 miles. This is easy to validate and why you all are refusing to acknowledge this despite it being talked about ad nauseam on this site among other places throughout the internet boggles my mind. It is gaslighting at this point.

Since I'm so incompetent and unintelligent as far as these matters are concerned, as you all have been eluding to, perhaps someone would be kind enough to find this information and share it with this community. You guys are smarter than me so I am not smart enough to find this information aside from referring to certain websites that contains that information that you all are refusing to acknowledge and also referring to the fact that this HAS been discussed at nauseam on this site among countless others for over a decade.

I am simply incapable of providing any such information, perhaps we should talk about why Tesla vehicles do not use gasoline? I'm sure there is a TSB about that somewhere and I am just too incompetent to get my hands on it 🥴
All I was asking about was your statement "An auto manufacturer can make a change to recommended maintenance without issuing a TSB" and I wondered how they do that. I figured that if you said it then you knew the answer. That's all.

Perhaps it would be best if you stepped down off your martyr soapbox a bit. From the responses in this thread I don't think it's helping your cause.

Having owned and serviced and UOA'd many Subaru over many decades- The EJ and FB oil usage varied between engine materials, or manufacturing error and or design issue - not an oil service interval issue. I have stack of class actions and TSB through the decades to back this up. Our highly maintained and short OCI'd subaru had high oil usage regardless, our 2017 FB20 that we stretched the oci to 9-10K mile was the best running engine with NO OIL USAGE.
Our current Outback has a very loud engine engine knock when pushed when hot - enough to make you wince getting on the highway but NO oil usage and returns good fuel mileage. Tried to get it addressed at the last DEALER oil change but they blew my wife off saying the engine was hot and it had to be cold to test it (?!) We have 40K more miles to go under warranty so Ill let it ride.

Here is my last FB20 UOA; The July 2019 report was Valvoline Advanced,

17crosstrek_UOA_112919_8199mi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back