2020 Subaru Impreza

I'm looking for a new car for my wife.

She'd be trading in her 2014 Honda CR-V for this new Base Trim Impreza. She just loves Subaru's. She had a Forester, and wants back in another Subaru. She's also looking for a car this time around.

Any input on these cars?

Here's the listing for one that she likes: 2020 Impreza

although theres an extended warranty on troublesome CVT's still NOT a good choice + their first use of direct injection remains to be seen, good luck!! most FWD sedans will be better in snow with 4 snow tyres compared to AWD with all season but winter tyres. look at Hyundai + Kias with the Looong warranty!!

My younger sister has a 2016 Impreza sedan with the CVT. The 2020 appears to be the same generation as the 2016 but the 2020 has 4 more HP.
Being that the Impreza is getting long toothed in the current generation, many of the bugs are probably fixed on the 2020's.

I know my sister had a new radio installed under warranty. Her car accelerates slow but is okay if you drive normal.
Subaru programmed the drive by wire throttle to blip the gas making the car feel more powerful than it is.
When you floor it, it doesn't get up and go much faster.

At 4 HP over the prior engine, I'm thinking the DI engine will have less HP after who knows, 50K miles than the earlier MPI engine due to typical DI valve deposits. DI doesn't worry me however.

The CVT worry is your call. Subaru dealers don't like to discount their new vehicle much unlike many other makes.
Myself, I would rather have a 2021 Crosstrek with the new for 2021 optional 2.5 which is the same engine the Forester uses.

I've purchased my first ever Sub OB 2017. I'm at 80k and really have fallen in love with the 3.6 and the CVT is soooo much better (smoother) than the 08 Nissan Maxima I was driving. I would also rebut the previous post that stated the AWD with all season is not as good as FWD with snow "tyres." Just not the case I've found in NYVT NH ME in a lot of snow and ice. IMHO and experience, the only thing beating a BMW X or a Sub AWD is a 4x4 truck.

That said, I highly doubt I would be purchasing another Subaru. I just don't have faith in their 4 cy engines and find them under powered. I do not feel DI will go well for them either. Buying a Sub is like a buying a Toyota. You are getting plain o'l vanilla ice cream but it's a tried and true satisfaction. I sure don't feel that comfortable satisfaction with the 2020 lineup of engines. I sure could be wrong......

Why are the engines so underpowered? I hope it's not some strategy to make people want to buy STi models.

Why are the engines so underpowered? I hope it's not some strategy to make people want to buy STi models.

That can be subjective I give you. Also can be location dependent. I'm not saying they can't get you where you need to go but to me I find the 3.6 256 hp linked to high torque CVT to be the low end of what I find acceptable. The 2.5 at 175 I thought to be a bit of a dog when I test drove one. The new H4 (turbo 2.4) on the bigger and heavier accent may prove ok 260hp but IMHO that is a lot of high rev stress on a 4600lb vehicle. That's about 1000 pound more than my Outback. Not to mention a more blocky Forrester like wind pattern.

Just a personal opinion as I've never owned a 4cy Subaru. I don't have long term 200K plus feelings of longevity in them.

I own a new WRX. Absolutely love it and very pleased with Subaru's quality and reliability. The fact that their vehicles hold their value as well as they do says everything imo.

I have a manual but not because I don't believe in their CVTs, I just prefer manual. Subaru CVTs are made using steel belts and don't have the problems other manufacturers do that use rubber or kevlar.

There is no extended warranty on the 2020 CVT transmission and there are no CVT transmission issues with the 2020 Impreza. The direct injection engine has been used in this car since the 2017 model year. The 2016 is not the same generation as the 2020. The new generation Impreza began with the 2017 model year and is greatly different than the previous generation.

The Subaru Impreza is currently the highest resale value of any used car.

The 3.6 litre V6 was never offered on the Impreza, and that engine has been discontinued.

As for it being a 200,000 mile car or not, Subarus with over 200K are very common sight here in New Hampshire. Subaru of Keene actually has a 300,000 mile club.

There is no extended warranty on the 2020 CVT transmission and there are no CVT transmission issues with the 2020 Impreza. The direct injection engine has been used in this car since the 2017 model year. The 2016 is not the same generation as the 2020. The new generation Impreza began with the 2017 model year and is greatly different than the previous generation.

The Subaru Impreza is currently the highest resale value of any used car.

The 3.6 litre V6 was never offered on the Impreza, and that engine has been discontinued.

As for it being a 200,000 mile car or not, Subarus with over 200K are very common sight here in New Hampshire. Subaru of Keene actually has a 300,000 mile club.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable and have given a very glowing review. You've shifted my thoughts on the possibility of buying a car like this....Thank you for your input.

although theres an extended warranty on troublesome CVT's still NOT a good choice
Whatever issues they had with CVT seems to have been fixed in the latest generation. And even for those that are under warranty, my Forester is one, we have no problems so far. I hate it that the dealerships are not willing to change the CVT fluid but that should not be an issue with the newer CVTs.

To the OP, I don't know if they still offer without EyeSight, if they do, stick WITH EyeSight. It is an awesome system. Mine is older but still better. I reckon from the boards that newer is even better.
I would not go for the Base trim, the headlight varies from trim to trim. According to IIHS, limited trim has 'good' headlights, rest are marginal.
I don't know how much head unit matters to your wife because replacing it with all steering controls intact is a tricky job. If I were you, I would buy the highest trim I can afford.
I made this mistake with my 2015 Forester. I got Premium, while everything is good, headlights are bad (to put it politely). I should have gotten limited at least.

Only one thing, paint is not Subaru's strong suit so if you are willing to use it for longer terms, make sure to take care of the paint.

Last edited:
Whatever issues they had with CVT seems to have been fixed in the latest generation. And even for those that are under warranty, my Forester is one, we have no problems so far. I hate it that the dealerships are not willing to change the CVT fluid but that should not be an issue with the newer CVTs.

To the OP, I don't know if they still offer without EyeSight, if they do, stick WITH EyeSight. It is an awesome system. Mine is older but still better. I reckon from the boards that newer is even better.
I would not go for the Base trim, the headlight varies from trim to trim. According to IIHS, limited trim has 'good' headlights, rest are marginal.
I don't know how much head unit matters to your wife because replacing it with all steering controls intact is a tricky job. If I were you, I would buy the highest trim I can afford.
I made this mistake with my 2015 Forester. I got Premium, while everything is good, headlights are bad (to put it politely). I should have gotten limited at least.

Only one thing, paint is not Subaru's strong suit so if you are willing to use it for longer terms, make sure to take care of the paint.

Thanks for the input. Did Subaru dealers refuse to change CVT fluid before? But now that issue is resolved? Looking for a bit of background info here.....

My wife rarely drives at night. I think "ok" headlights will be good enough. I could always have some replacement/auxillary lights installed if needed.

Head unit? She doesn't care.

I love detailing her car for her. She won't have any paint issues.

Did Subaru dealers refuse to change CVT fluid before? But now that issue is resolved? Looking for a bit of background info here.....
All of us know that regular tranny fluid changes are essential. Subaru claims CVT fluid to be a lifetime fluid in the US but not in Canada, Japan, or Australia. When the reports of tranny failing started showing up, pretty much within a year of my purchase, many in the US wanted to perform regular CVT fluid changes, just to be on the safe side. The dealerships refused these changes because the maintenance booklet doesn't mention replacing this fluid ever and Subaru's stance that its a lifetime fluid, many dealerships still worry if the tranny fails after the fluid change, it will be on them.

In my case, we drive less but we fall under 'severe' service. According to the Canadian maintenance schedule, I should have changed the fluid around 28K miles but the dealership refused to change it citing the above claims. Most (including me) on Forester board do not have any complaints even after not changing it but the worry that if I don't change the fluid until 100K or 10 years and then replace it, it may lead to issues and since I will be out of warranty, the replacement will be on my dime. So at the moment, I don't know what to do, should I get it changed from a local mechanic or brave the fluid till 100K/10 years and then change it.

If you go Impreza route and won't do DIY tranny fluid change, make sure to talk about it with the service dept. DIY changes are possible but I do not have tools to do it myself.

Thanks for the input. Did Subaru dealers refuse to change CVT fluid before? But now that issue is resolved? Looking for a bit of background info here.....

My wife rarely drives at night. I think "ok" headlights will be good enough. I could always have some replacement/auxillary lights installed if needed.

Head unit? She doesn't care.

I love detailing her car for her. She won't have any paint issues.

Tell her to get the premium for a couple of Gs more. Best bang for the Subaru buck.

I’m on my phone now, but you should look it up. Usually comes with heated seats, along with other things.

/

Only one Subaru dealer near me will change my CVT fluid. Actually, I believe the second one can now, too, but I haven’t confirmed after they said they were “waiting for parts” to do it.

Looks like the base you’re looking at doesn’t have Eyesight, either. This is standard on the Premium and higher trims.

Also, Premium has Al wheels over steelies.

The FB20DI engine in the 2020 Impreza has a patented air oil separator inside the engine. The patent was granted in 2013. It is designed to remove oil from the blowby gases before it is recirculated, minimizing carbon buildup on the back of the intake valves.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120080015

I have a '15 Impreza. The current generation looks more modern with updated tail lights and other subtle exterior changes.
I'm not overly impressed with the CVT and acceleration, but the fuel economy is very respectable. I don't know what changes were made to the engine and drivetrain over the last 5 years.

My '15 is built well and everything is still solid after 5 years and 80k miles. My only concern is the durability of the CVT.

Disregard the CVT haters. Our 2012 Impreza is doing fine at close to 140K miles and 2012 was the first year for CVTs in the Impreza. Our Impreza has cost us a total of $16 worth if repairs (idler pulley started squeaking) to get it this far and has proven to be a very reliable vehicle, especially for the first year of a major redesign. Enjoy the new car.

I did at about 60K miles but to be honest, the fluid looked brand new and likely had plenty of life left. My sister’s Outback with a CVT is running fine at roughly 180K miles with the factory fluid and she is not easy on cars.

They feel slow because they have to power 4 wheels rather than 2, so there is more power loss. The AWD is always on and cannot be deactivated. Most AWD cars are 2WD by default and power the other wheels only when needed.

Back