2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition: 10,000 mile review

Nice review Sir! What does "DT" mean?

I loved my 2017 Ram 1500 express quad cab 4x4 with the pentastar and love my 2019 1500 SLT classic CC 4x4 hemi. The hemi is more fun as you'd expect. Mine were both purchased used, about a year old with 12-15K miles. Each was quite the deal because of being very basic trim levels which I like. The 2019 was an ex-rental.

Both had leaking high mounted third brake lights (water intrusion into cab), but that's an easy DIY fix. I put about 55K miles on the 2017 and currently have just under 29K miles on the 2019. *knocks wood* never needed a dealer visit. I enjoy my Ram every time I drive it.

I'm talking in general. It all goes towards the vehicle's build quality and perception.
This was being discussed on another forum on a different brand truck. The question was "Should I buy this truck and what kid of quality should I expect?" After many of us being honest with quality issues-one poster came on and said "They are good trucks because I have had several and they never left me stranded!" I had to explain to him that it's the TOTAL OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE" that's important. And infotainment systems, rattles, and erratic shifting transmissions all count.

This was being discussed on another forum on a different brand truck. The question was "Should I buy this truck and what kid of quality should I expect?" After many of us being honest with quality issues-one poster came on and said "They are good trucks because I have had several and they never left me stranded!" I had to explain to him that it's the TOTAL OWNERSHIP EXPERIENCE" that's important. And infotainment systems, rattles, and erratic shifting transmissions all count.
Amen. I've sworn off Nissan because my '04 Maxima fell apart around the drivetrain. Fantastic engine/trans, terrible everything else. I liken it to the 90's Dodge Ram diesels.

Reactions: CKN
Ehh.

That reads like it was generated by a bot.

2019+ NBS DT trucks are a completely different platform from the ones that are primarily being discussed in that "article" yet I see no attempts to differentiate them. Wreaks of piss-poor "journalism".

That said, the large tablet-sized UConnect screen was known to have some funky issues when it was introduced which is why we avoided it on our Sport. Ours is a VERY early build 2019 and so has had a few TSB's that applied to it (brake mounts, body mounts) but no issues at all with the interior or electronics.

That said, the large tablet-sized UConnect screen was known to have some funky issues when it was introduced which is why we avoided it on our Sport. Ours is a VERY early build 2019 and so has had a few TSB's that applied to it (brake mounts, body mounts) but no issues at all with the interior or electronics.
Any rear window frame crack?

The drivetrain is the most important part to me in terms of reliability. I can deal with little issues. I'm not sure how JD Powers gets their data and how they come up with their numbers. They do seem way off base. CR appears to be more accurate.

The drivetrain is the most important part to me in terms of reliability. I can deal with little issues. I'm not sure how JD Powers gets their data and how they come up with their numbers. They do seem way off base. CR appears to be more accurate.
Agreed; the term reliability means just about everything except does it run the majority of the time.
Quality control, body fittment, paint issues are not reliability.
The term has been rendered meaningless.

Agreed.

This is about the Express model only. I have no experience with other trims.

No power seats, so resting your arm in the center console might be troublesome during long trips depending on your height. If too short, it will push your shoulder up. Or down if you’re a tall feller. After a trip out west, I felt I needed an upper back replacement.
No left foot rest ( there is a thread on another forum about this). So, unless you’re growing a longer left leg, you’re screwed. Not noticeable during city driving, but as soon as you hit the highway for a few hours, you will feel the pain.

If I were to do it again - and I won’t for now - I would be buying a Tundra.

This is about the Express model only. I have no experience with other trims.

No power seats, so resting your arm in the center console might be troublesome during long trips depending on your height. If too short, it will push your shoulder up. Or down if you’re a tall feller. After a trip out west, I felt I needed an upper back replacement.
No left foot rest ( there is a thread on another forum about this). So, unless you’re growing a longer left leg, you’re screwed. Not noticeable during city driving, but as soon as you hit the highway for a few hours, you will feel the pain.

If I were to do it again - and I won’t for now - I would be buying a Tundra.
I'm waiting for the next generation Tundra. Rumors are coil springs in the rear and a
"eco-boost" type motor. So-it will probably generate as much horsepower (or more) as the V8 without the abysmal gas mileage the current model gets.

I'm waiting for the next generation Tundra. Rumors are coil springs in the rear and a
"eco-boost" type motor. So-it will probably generate as much horsepower (or more) as the V8 without the abysmal gas mileage the current model gets.
Understand your feelings, but I like the ole V8

Regarding Dodge quality, I've just never personally known anyone with a good one. My best friend's mom always liked them because they were very nice for the money, but I think she finally gave up on the brand after the last transmission died in her 2018 at around 50K miles or so. She told the dealer "Come get it. We're done." and bought out of it and into something else. Reliability is king. Co-worker in the mid 20-teens had similar experience with her RAM1500. Just, everyone I personally know, they break. A lot. Expensively. Anyone can afford to buy a Dodge/Ram. Not just anyone can afford to own one, rofl! The only person I know, in person, who has kept a Dodge product for very long in their truck line and liked it is an MD I work with. Said "I have 200K on my dully out there..." I asked him "So how many front ends is that, now?" and he laughed and said "2 or 3". He loves the old heap, though, because cummins is life, and money is not a concern, and I can't argue with that.

Understand your feelings, but I like the ole V8
I went from a HEMI V8 to a turbocharged i4. The only thing that makes me think fondly of the hemi (aside the sound), is the torque just off idle. The i4 is a bit soft from 8-1400rpm. After that, it feels the same, but prior to 1400ish or so, it just feels a touch soft.

Back