2020 Mustang with 330hp 4 Cylinder Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is cool, kudos to ford for offering it but I'm in the crowd of owning a mustang without the V8 is blasphemy!

I've owned 9 of them, including the 03 Terminator and a 95 Cobra, great, cheap cars that were lots of fun! One day here soon I plan to own a new base 5.0 GT... just to enjoy this Florida sun!

the above mentioned VW is a GTI S starting at $26,xxx add $700 for a tune + its a bargain. i like stangs + RWD is surely a plus but the GTI is likely more usable for most + guessing that stang will be in the $30's

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by edyvw
Most powerful sports car? I did not know Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru StI are not sports cars.
And there is this company, what is the name, ah yeah, Mercedes-Benz that offers A45 with 2.0 liter 4cyl and 376hp and 350 lb-ft. Probably built MUCH better than Ford.

Mercedes built better than ford?
lol.gif
Thanks I needed a laugh today....

In fact, ever since 2007, Mercedes have not scored above average by Consumer Reports in regards to reliability. In 2014, Consumer Reports reported that the Mercedes CLA was not only the most unreliable Mercedes in the Auto Reliability Survey, but 140% worse than the average car.

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-mercedes-benz-reliable/

Ummm...you are aware of the steaming pile of crap that is the Focus RS's motor, right?

Originally Posted by benjy
the 2.0 VW gen 3 engine with an APR stage I tune running required 93 octane makes 316 hp + 381 TQ,

And how much of this power can you actually harness in a FWD car? How is the torque steer?

Yeah but QP, that's not fair to compare a luxury brand to an economy brand for fit/finish.

As for Ford's CR rating I don't have an account to get the 2019 rankings.

But you found Mercedes ratings? Comparing Mercedes to Ford is like comparing F22 to Piper. Yes it is more complex, but it is F22.
But regardless, what Ford did, employ Redline marketing guru so let's just claim we have strongest 4cyl turbo, although we don't? They said they have strongest 4cyl sports car with 4cyl. I am no fan of Subaru, but pretty sure Sti will run circles around that thing.

Yeah but QP, that's not fair to compare a luxury brand to an economy brand for fit/finish.

But you found Mercedes ratings? Comparing Mercedes to Ford is like comparing F22 to Piper. Yes it is more complex, but it is F22.
But regardless, what Ford did, employ Redline marketing guru so let's just claim we have strongest 4cyl turbo, although we don't? They said they have strongest 4cyl sports car with 4cyl. I am no fan of Subaru, but pretty sure Sti will run circles around that thing.

No I found an article about it confirming what I already knew to show you it's not just me that knows they are terrible. And it's not a biased blogger it's from C.R. which tests all vehicles. Now whether you consider C.R. a biased source is another thing but you will find plenty of folks here that can speak to the quality of Mercedes products.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RamFan

I get what you're saying, but calling Ford an economy brand isn't exactly accurate.

Aside from their premium Lincoln division that is what I would call them no different than anyone else.

And where exactly is the line of anyone else drawn? Would you equate Ford with Mitsubishi? I certainly wouldn't, but as you've said, Ford and Mercedes shouldn't be considered on the same tier either. This would indicate that there's more than either an economy brand or a luxury brand.

There can be better brands in the segment but they are all competing for the same customer which is the middle-class / working poor. The premium brands compete for the upper classes.
wink.gif

No I found an article about it confirming what I already knew to show you it's not just me that knows they are terrible.

OK, but we still don't know what CR thinks of Ford. Maybe they think Ford is even worse?
smile.gif

In any case, CR reliability ratings use some questionable methodology...

https://www.allpar.com/cr.html

If you look at JD Power, they have Mercedes ahead of Ford in their dependability study.

No I found an article about it confirming what I already knew to show you it's not just me that knows they are terrible. And it's not a biased blogger it's from C.R. which tests all vehicles. Now whether you consider C.R. a biased source is another thing but you will find plenty of folks here that can speak to the quality of Mercedes products.
wink.gif

The same company that said that Toyota Camry has superb suspension?

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
This is cool and all, but I won't even consider a Mustang unless it has a V8.

....amen

It may be superb. Doesn't mean the car handles well.

Just think of all the folks who think the pinnacle of suspension tech is their Panther platform Crown Vic. It provides a smooth, marshmallow smooth ride, so it must be superb.

Superb is marketing puffery and essentially meaningless unless we know what criteria define success.

The same company that said that Toyota Camry has superb suspension?

I really want to like a powerful 4 cylinder Mustang. But I think if I was buying a Mustang, I'd want a V8, because tradition.

Doesn't mean the 4 cylinder isn't a fine offering.

Probably a great deal purchased used.

I don't think I'd touch a new one with a 10 foot pole. Values probably plummet like a lead brick in a vacuum.

One thing Ford should never do is to change the V8 to some tree-hugging turbo engines. I want to burn some dinosaur's bodily fluids without force induction.

Most powerful sports car? I did not know Mitsubishi Evo and Subaru StI are not sports cars.
And there is this company, what is the name, ah yeah, Mercedes-Benz that offers A45 with 2.0 liter 4cyl and 376hp and 350 lb-ft. Probably built MUCH better than Ford.

I think what Ford actually said is it's the most powerful American four-cylinder sports car...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
[BMW is notorious for dragging their feet over timing chain issues.
What are these timing chain issues? Which engines specifically do these issues pertain to?

I'm obviously not in the loop on the latest BMW engine pros/cons.

Most recent :N20, N26 which followed them stateside. https://bmwtechnician.com/2019/01/31/n20-n26-timing-chain-7-70-list/

A little older but within the last 15 yrs: N47 in the UK which took a threat of a class action for BMWUK to figure out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N47

I mean seriously, how these problems never came up during testing is beyond my imagination.

The new B-series engines appear to be "ok" but who the -blank- knows.
21.gif

Last edited:
Who cares as long as the HP output is there?

Some people care about things like turbo lag or how the engine sounds.

I'd be curious how big the turbo actually is RE: lag. There's a twin-scroll in our Forester XT and it boosts WAY faster than my previous '08 STI. Except from a stand-still, it's nearly instantaneous.

Originally Posted by brages

I think what Ford actually said is it's the most powerful American four-cylinder sports car...

Well, ok, of two left American car companies, yes, it makes it most powerful.

[BMW is notorious for dragging their feet over timing chain issues.
What are these timing chain issues? Which engines specifically do these issues pertain to?

I'm obviously not in the loop on the latest BMW engine pros/cons.

Most recent :N20, N26 which followed them stateside. https://bmwtechnician.com/2019/01/31/n20-n26-timing-chain-7-70-list/

A little older but within the last 15 yrs: N47 in the UK which took a threat of a class action for BMWUK to figure out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N47

I mean seriously, how these problems never came up during testing is beyond my imagination.

The new B-series engines appear to be "ok" but who the -blank- knows.
21.gif

N20 ans N26 were fixed two years after introduction. And BMW is not the only one with those issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back