2020 Mustang with 330hp 4 Cylinder Offering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless Ford tunes it properly, the Mustang's 2.3L EB engine is annoying to live with. Check out my video below of a Mustang 2.3EB and the boost level under steady acceleration. No wonder the car felt horrible under part throttle operation.

As a racer, tuner and turbocharged engine lover, I expected to enjoy the Mustang EB. Instead, I could not wait to turn it in. Between the throttle by wire throttle plate "antics" and the resulting terribly unsteady intake manifold pressure, I found the car to be touchy, with very uneven feeling acceleration.

I even took my iPhone's "G" meter and placed it on the seat, where I could watch the unsteady acceleration "G" numbers. My "seat of the pants" feeling was confirmed.

A well developed and properly tuned turbocharged engine is a wonderful thing, with superb (and incredibly smooth) mid range torque available at 1/2 throttle and up. One that is programmed improperly is annoying.

Last edited:
I wonder if this Mustang has "real" turbos? When you put your foot in it you're thrown back into the seat taking off like a rocket feeling the boost. That's how a turbocharged sportscar is supposed to feel.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if this Mustang has "real" turbos? When you put your foot in it you're thrown back into the seat taking off like a rocket feeling the boost. That's how a turbocharged sportscar is supposed to feel.

So a high boost threshold, lag, and poor throttle response is "real" turbocharging?

-_-

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

So a high boost threshold, lag, and poor throttle response is "real" turbocharging?

-_-

haha.

BMW may not be the only one, but IMO for the amount of $$ the customer pays to acquire these vehicles they should never have this issue. Timing chains have been used for decades. If one is going to deal with timing chain issues on a 4 cylinder, they might as well buy a VW Passat, which gives an extra 2 yrs/25k miles of warranty and saves $15k.

They are used for decades, but they were not designed like this. It has to be economical too. BMW had bulettproof timing chain on first post WWI V12, while MB was struggling with theirs. Not that they do not know how to make it. But with complexity of today's engines, demand is great on those tensioners.
Also, some issues will never pop out in testing (Toyota had similar issues on 2GR-FE I have in Sienna, in first applications of that engine. And people consider this engine to be absolute example of reliability). Companies do not have that much time to test engines for years and how time and various city driving etc. conditions affect engines. That pops out during testing while engines are already on sale, or through customer feedback.
My issue with BMW re not tensioners, as it seems wth BMW that is confined to few engines. My beef is that they needed pretty much all N series of engines to go through water pump debacle, so they decide to use good ole fashion belt driven pump on B engines.

Originally Posted by StevieC

The package will be available on both the coupe and convertible models, and with ten-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.

Praise be to Ford.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
Last year at the SCCA Solo Nats, a slap-dash Camaro Turbo 1LE put together by a group of GM employees placed 1st and 3rd against an entire field of V8 competition in CAM-C. Margin from 1st to 2nd (a V8 Mustang) was over 1.2 seconds.

Like the Camaro Turbo 1LE, I'm sure the Mustang EcoBoost HPP will be a solid contender, despite the "V8 or nothing!" attitudes.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/got-boost-group-gm-employees-race-four-cylinder-ca/

Thank you for bringing this up.
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif
(...and I believe that the 4 pot Camaro might even be heavier than the 4 pot 'Stang
21.gif
)

I was amazed as well when I first read that article in Grassroots Motorsports (I have a subscription).
cool.gif

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by dailydriver
[With the correct factory head gasket (which was done under recall, and corrected at the factory on latter model years), and the proper amount of charge cooling, these things can put out insane amounts of power, without having to be 'built', unlike some of the other much worshipped 4 pots out there.
wink.gif

"My turbo car is better than your turbo car even though the intercooler is too small and the HG is on backwards"

The factory fitted intercoolers on the RSes are fine until one starts getting up over the 400 HP to the wheels mark.
wink.gif

The one on my 1.6 EcoBoost, yes, could have been higher capacity from the factory, but is fine for normal daily driving, outside of the torrid south/southwest.
Mine WILL get a CP-E aftermarket one (good for ~350 HP to the wheels on my car) installed once the power train warranty is up.

Here's some commentary of the 4 cylinder Falcon...clearly not the power of the 'Stang...but worthy of a read...

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/ford-falcon-ecoboost-used-car-review-20150331-1mc4bp
We're not saying the Ecoboost Falcons and G6s were perfect, but for anybody other than a hard-headed, V8-loving muscle-car fan, the four-cylinder Falcon was not only worthy, it was probably the pick of the bunch.

And these days, it's also the bargain of the pack, too.

A no-brainer, if you like.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/ford-falcon-ecoboost-2015-review-48666/

The Falcon EcoBoost is a lithe, lively and lighter alternative to its six-cylinder brethren

https://www.caradvice.com.au/169637/ford-falcon-ecoboost-review/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back