2020 Hyundai Kona SE Review

For people shoping in the segment for a deal, the Ford EcoSport has incredible cash back from now till
January.
This means you can get a L model with AWD and Auto and 2 litre 166hp Duratec NA motor with 6 speed planetary/ torque converter automatic for about $17, 500. That is THE DEAL right now for AWD.
Ye, it's "MA _ country of origin but why should that matter.

I took one for a spin and a sit and it was quite comfortable. I didn't like the massive A pillars. Seats were quite comfortable. Car has PW, PDL, AC, keyless entry, REALLY nice aluminum wheels but a small 4.5" touch screen :) Material quality seem much better than in online photos. The grey one I sat in has two-tone natural stone and charcoal I think. Very pleasing. I dint like the overboosted EPS but I never got the car up to speed where it supposedly firms up. I expected more of that Fiesta direct steering - but didnt get it here.

I guess I'm spoiled by my old Subaru Outback's excellent hydraulic PS and geometry. And the Subaru's Normal excellent all around visibility without blind spots and large forward windscreen without a silly high cowl that make you feel like you are in a bunker. ( Worse offenders: I've driven are the VW Jetta, Nissan Versa Note, i'm sure there are countless others)

Another option my buddy just did, was get a BMW 750Li with the TT "Hot V" V8 and AWD. A $97,000.00 sticker "flagship" car for 12K used with 70K on it. He bought a $2700 "Endurance" service contract, Bumper to bumper. Plus BMW is on the hook - due to a class action settlement - for all drivetrain repairs to 120K miles. Even a new engine. So, incredible luxury and speed and elegance for 14,700. I'm not a Bimmer, fan so that is not my option.

fordecosport.jpg

Last edited:
An Ecosport would definitely be more attractive without the 3cyl turbo motor, and no CVT is nice for this segment. You can switch the screen out for the bigger one on some of the other Fords, not sure about this one.

Can you tow a trailer with a 750Li? It certainly has the power. Being able to tow say 3000lbs would make it a more acceptable substitute for a large SUV. I towed around Home Depot's smallest trailer with 2 pallets of bricks last weekend, with my Navigator.

Rear suspension on the Kona varies between FWD and AWD models. FWD models have a torsion beam, AWD models get a multi-link independent rear suspension. That might have an effect on ride quality depending on which drivetrain it has.

Hmm...maybe those incentives are regional? I configured a base EcoSport with a 2.0 and AWD and got $0 incentives
Looking at Maxwell Ford and Covert Ford , you got big cash back, but its not for AWD 2.0L By the way the window sticker said the transmission and engine were made in U.S.A.
We need the AWD up here in the hills of New Hampshire in the Winter. If my house was on flat ground I wouldnt car much about AWD I'd go with RWD, - Ken

Back